Photography is legal, except when it isn't.

Started Feb 17, 2019 | Discussions
Krav Maga
Krav Maga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,636

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/us/chinese-student-photographs-military-base/index.html

"According to court documents, Zhao entered the Joint Interagency Task Force South military property, located on Naval Air Station Key West, on September 26 without permission "by circumnavigating the installation's primary fence line, and entering the military property from the beach."

-- hide signature --

I feel more like I do now than I did before ...
https://danielmedley.smugmug.com/

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony a7R IV Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 5,276
Re: Photography is legal, except when it isn't.

So, your point?

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Krav Maga
OP Krav Maga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,636

Alex Ethridge wrote:

So, your point?

Does there have to be a point beyond the mere informational/news aspect of it?

-- hide signature --

Nikon D750 Sony a7R IV Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 14,176

Krav Maga wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/us/chinese-student-photographs-military-base/index.html

"According to court documents, Zhao entered the Joint Interagency Task Force South military property, located on Naval Air Station Key West, on September 26 without permission "by circumnavigating the installation's primary fence line, and entering the military property from the beach."

It has always been true that in the USA, the owner of private property has the right to prohibit photography taken from that area.

It is also true that the owner of private property has the right to prohibit people from entering.

In this case the Zhao allegedly was trespassing, on government property contrary to clearly posted notices. Furthermore, he was allegedly taking photos while on that property, in violation of the property owner's rules.

Zhao's alleged activities would be prohibited even absent the national security issues.

If I owned a farm with an old barn, I may want to make a little money renting it out as a location for photography.  I would be within my rights putting a fence around the property saying "No Trespassing.  No Photography."   Should someone climb through the fence and take photos in my barn, I would have a legitimate cause for legal action against them.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,224

Krav Maga wrote:

Ok.  Is this supposed to be surprising or shocking?  Sneaking onto a military installation is going to result in legal action whether taking photos or not.

Krav Maga

Mark B. wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

Ok. Is this supposed to be surprising or shocking? Sneaking onto a military installation is going to result in legal action whether taking photos or not.

Yes, you would think that those huge "do not enter" signs would be a giveaway. And then to circumnavigate the barriers ...

-- hide signature --

Montana Floozie
Montana Floozie Regular Member • Posts: 273

When I was 10 in 1963, I took a picture with my Instamatic across the river at the New London submarine base a mile away in the distance and some shore patrol guys gave my Dad a talking to and almost confiscated my camera until he reasoned with them

Sometimes those who think they're enforcing the law don't know what the law is, and are idiots, to boot.

Alex Ethridge

Krav Maga wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

So, your point?

Does there have to be a point beyond the mere informational/news aspect of it?

Nope. Just wondering if there was something you intended beyond that.

I had seen the story a couple of days ago and thought about posting here, myself.

Zhao's an idiot, either that or a rather thick-headed wannabe spy.  In 1967 I "broke into" the Georgia State Prison in Jackson and got as far as the inside of a cell.  It was an interesting day for sure.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Krav Maga

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Zhao's an idiot, either that or a rather thick-headed wannabe spy.

I tend to agree with this.

-- hide signature --

DiffractionLtd
DiffractionLtd Senior Member • Posts: 2,836

Michael Fryd wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

It has always been true that in the USA, the owner of private property has the right to prohibit photography taken from that area.

This is very true in Canada as well, even when people are allowed on the property.  Case in point;  the large bank and financial buildings downtown.  You try to take pictures of them from their land, security will stop you.  You can only take them from the adjacent sidewalks.

MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 446

Basically, use common sense and read and follow posted signs. If it's a military base and it's not a some special day where they open up to the public for like a look-see tour, you can be reasonably assured they're not going to be happy with you sneaking in.

-- hide signature --

It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
HRC2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,371

Just think what would happen if an American did this in China?

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Alex Ethridge

HRC2016 wrote:

I had that thought, also, and being from China, I'm sure he was hyper-aware of the danger of what he was doing. That's why I said in an earlier post that Zhao's an idiot.

DiffractionLtd
DiffractionLtd Senior Member • Posts: 2,836

Alex Ethridge wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

I had that thought, also, and being from China, I'm sure he was hyper-aware of the danger of what he was doing. That's why I said in an earlier post that Zhao's an idiot.

Not too bright for a spy.

9VIII Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

Krav Maga wrote:

Hopefully he is arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +7 more
Alex Ethridge

9VIII wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

All you had to read is the title of the article in the OP's link to see the outcome.

Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,648

Same as is sex and driving cars... btw.

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 2,549

Krav Maga wrote:

Sounds like a Yogi'ism ?  "I've never said most of the things I said"

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Alex Ethridge

ToxicTabasco wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

Sounds like a Yogi'ism ? "I've never said most of the things I said"

Half the lies they tell about me ain't true.

9VIII Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

Alex Ethridge wrote:

9VIII wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

All you had to read is the title of the article in the OP's link to see the outcome.

CNN doesn’t need any clicks from me.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads