'Legendary' status

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
OP Belgarchi Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
Re: 'Legendary' status

Nikkor 200mm 4.0 AI/S. Probably the best non-APO 200mm, decently light as well.Very good, yes... but the underestimated Pentax A 200/4.0 (not the M, not as good) is as good and 20% lighter, and the Canon 200/4.0 FDn is sharper (but lightly built, and a lot of CA)

Interesting... How would you rate the Pentax compared to the Voigtländer 180 4.0?

I tried one sample of the Canon, but found it not as good as the FD 80-200 4.0 L at 200mm.

- The Pentax has more CA than the Voigtlander, and the focal is slightly different (+20mm), but except that, it is very similar... and costs 10 times less.

- Many Canon 200/4.0 have issues: loose helicoid, and dust / haze inside. But a perfect condition one will amaze you. I didn't use that Canon zoom though, I can't compare.

Belgarchi's gear list:Belgarchi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Leica D-Lux 7 Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-T20 Pentax KP +69 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,469

Belgarchi wrote:

Mathieu18 wrote:

Legendary: Remarkable enough to be famous, very well known. Not revolutionary...

I dont have quite the high threshold as some on here but of these the few I’d agree with are the Hollywood 28/2, Voigt 180 APO (I’ll add the 125 APO), the Nikon 28/2.8 (borderline), 105/2.5 and 180/2.8 ED, Pentax 28/3.5 and 31FA, and Canon FD 35/2 but the thoriated BL. Don’t know about a few but I think either of the 50/1.4s are okay but can’t keep up anymore, they CY 85/2.8 is great but not legendary,

Well, Ming Thein's warm recommendation was already enough for me to make it 'Legendary', but I bought one and it is indeed totally exceptional.

Please don’t misunderstand, I own a MMG copy and love it! If we want to call it a legend I’m not going to argue about it.

I’l add the CY 21/2.8, 35/1.4, and 100/2. The Nikkor-O 35/2 and the Minolta 58mm f/1.2. Maybe the Takumar 50/1.4 8 elemen but the 7 element was pretty underwhelming. Probably the Contax G 45/2 as well

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com
It’s a lot easier to post a photo than it is to write 1,000 words...
“I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept” ~ AA

Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 4,507

Belgarchi wrote:

Nikkor 200mm 4.0 AI/S. Probably the best non-APO 200mm, decently light as well.Very good, yes... but the underestimated Pentax A 200/4.0 (not the M, not as good) is as good and 20% lighter, and the Canon 200/4.0 FDn is sharper (but lightly built, and a lot of CA)

Interesting... How would you rate the Pentax compared to the Voigtländer 180 4.0?

I tried one sample of the Canon, but found it not as good as the FD 80-200 4.0 L at 200mm.

- The Pentax has more CA than the Voigtlander, and the focal is slightly different (+20mm), but except that, it is very similar... and costs 10 times less.

- Many Canon 200/4.0 have issues: loose helicoid, and dust / haze inside. But a perfect condition one will amaze you. I didn't use that Canon zoom though, I can't compare.

Thanks, I'll take a good look at the Pentax (and maybe give the Canon another chance as well). I do find the Voigtländer 180 4.0 expensive for a lens I'm not completely convinced about.

Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 5,936

Belgarchi wrote:

Ching-Kuang Shene wrote:

Belgarchi wrote:

Totally subjective but fun: which lenses are considered as a 'Legend', whatever the reason?

I can think of only a small number:

- Nikon 105/2.5 AIs

I fact, except for the 105/2.5, which is a semi-legendary, none of the other lenses are legendary. By legendary, IMO, a lens has to have a historical importance, uniqueness with the best image quality at that time. Maybe you change the AI-S to pre-AI, then IMO the Nikon 105/2.5 is a legendary. There are some legendary lenses in my mind:

• Germany (East and West): Carl Zeiss 180mm f/2.8 the original Olympia Sonnary rather than post-WW2 ones, the Topogon and Hologon series (up until the Contarex era), and the original post-war Biogon series. Of course, the Carl Zeiss Mirotar 500/4.5 and 1000/5.6, and Carl Zeiss Jena Spegielobjektiv 500/4 and 1000/5.6 have to added. One more from Germany, Voigtlander Zoomar 36-82mm f/2.8. If you are lucky, you may be able to rent a Zeiss 50mm f/0.7 and 35mm f/0.7. The first one, a planar type with a relying system inside, was designed for a half-frame Contarex camera. The combo was used to explore the back side of the moon. Finally, the mother of all modern untra wide angle: Goerz Hypergon.
  • America: I would pick Celetron C8 orange tube, Questar 3" and Questar 700.
  • Japan: Perhaps the Nikon AF-D 28mm f/1.4, 28-45 f/4.5 (the first wide zoom), Nikon AIS 300mm f/2 could be included. Nikon also made the first 80-200mm f/2.8. For Canon, perhaps the first telephoto lens using FL glass.

These are the legendary lenses popped up from my brain. There are certainly more for other people to add.

CK

You are defining 'Legendary' from an historical perspective. What I meant was lenses with a reputation of being able to capture incredibly good photos.

Just like most of your posts, you never make your intention clear. If that is your definition/intention, IMO you should state it clear. On the other hand, I did say it clearly in my post:

By legendary, IMO, a lens has to have a historical importance, uniqueness with the best image quality at that time.

In terms of image quality, you should not compare modern lenses with legacy ones due to technology advance.  In your case, your “lengendary” lenses perhaps are all modern ones.  This is why I have “at that time” stated clearly.  So, please make your intention clear so that you will get what you want.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 305

I've never had the chance to use one, and probably never will, but how about the Pentax FA* 200mm f4 Macro?

-- hide signature --

It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +8 more
jjcpa Regular Member • Posts: 327

I define "legendary" as no other lens at the same focal length can suppass it regarding to characteristics or rendering or special effects. In the above list, I used to have CY 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2.8 and 180mm f2.8. I sold them all except 50mm. They are good but don't think they are legendary. Currently I own both Nikon 105mm f2.5 AI and 105mm DC. I compared them carefully and prefer DC one so for me AI one is not legendary. I am not sure I know any one is lengdary, Maybe voigtlander 125mm or Zeiss 135mm or Nikon 105E?

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

I've never had the chance to use one, and probably never will, but how about the Pentax FA* 200mm f4 Macro?

Ah yes, it has an incredible reputation, but I never used it myself.

By the way, it is very heavy too... most exceptionally good lenses are heavy.

I suppose that light weight has a price.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Leica D-Lux 7 Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-T20 Pentax KP +69 more
MikeyBugs95

Belgarchi wrote:

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

And rare from what I've seen. And when up for sale VERRRYYY expensive.

-- hide signature --

It's a pretty simple task of 3D modeling something. It's getting it to fit that takes most of the time!

Pentax K-3 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +8 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,066
Some more nominations from Minolta (and others)

Minolta AF35/2.0

Minolta AF100/2.0

Minolta 135STF

Minolta AF200/2.8

Minolta AF70-200/4.0 (aka 'The Beercan')

also

Contax G 45/2.0

and (although they are not interchangable lenses)

Hexanon 38/1.8 on the Konica Auto S3

Minotar 35/2.8 on the Minox 35EL/GL/GT

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,891

Several incarnations of the Zeiss C Sonnar 50 f1.5.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 1,732

David Kieltyka wrote:

The Zeiss 21/*4.5 Biogon in Contax Rangefinder mount. It was the widest rectilinear lens made at the time (1954) for 35mm format cameras.

Better yet the 38mm Biogon in the Hasselblad SWC made for aerial photography purposes (because of its lack of distortion).

The Leica Noctilux and the Nikon Noct-Nikkor.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1R II Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Nikon Z7 +28 more
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,433

Fazal Majid wrote:

David Kieltyka wrote:

The Zeiss 21/*4.5 Biogon in Contax Rangefinder mount. It was the widest rectilinear lens made at the time (1954) for 35mm format cameras.

Better yet the 38mm Biogon in the Hasselblad SWC made for aerial photography purposes (because of its lack of distortion).

Yes. The two lenses are basically the same design: one for the 135 format, the other for medium format.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +8 more
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,936

How can you not include the elmar 35 and 50mm f3.5? Those are about as legendary as you can get.

-- hide signature --

Stacey
"Maybe it's time for people to start thinking about upgrading the photographer rather than new gear every year."

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more

Stacey_K wrote:

How can you not include the elmar 35 and 50mm f3.5? Those are about as legendary as you can get.

I didn’t pretend that my list is final... as for these two lenses, thanks for adding them; what happened is that in my mind, I was writing about ‘SLR’ lenses, but didn’t write it down...

Bohemien
Bohemien Contributing Member • Posts: 734

Fun thread, interesting lenses mentioned so far, and it's always nice (and dangerous ) to hear about lenses I hadn't looked at yet.

I'd include the

Nikkor 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E

to what has been mentioned yet - legendary not for it's price or IQ, but because Galen Rowell allegedly used it to shoot his famous Rainbow over Potala Palace photo (I've read that somewhere but can't find the reference, that's why I say "allegedly").

I personally like it because it is small and light while offering decent IQ, making it a perfect travel telephoto lens when one wants to travel light. Plus it's very affordable, a real winner for me. Only downside is its serious zoom creep, so I mainly use it at either 75mm or 150mm, but that's ok.

-- hide signature --
 Bohemien's gear list:Bohemien's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D600 Nikon Z6
RemcoR Senior Member • Posts: 1,184

Belgarchi wrote:

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

The Pentax FA* 200 F4 macro is 1080 g (38.1 oz.). Not very heavy I think, or do you mean another lens? The legendary Contax 100-300 is just over 900 g. Very light compared to modern zooms in that range.

RemcoR

-- hide signature --

Pentax K-5
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical
Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL
Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 35-70mm F3.4 Macro
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.7 Contax
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm F1.4 ZK
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F2.8
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126796413@N03/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/RemcoRog

RemcoR wrote:

Belgarchi wrote:

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

The Pentax FA* 200 F4 macro is 1080 g (38.1 oz.). Not very heavy I think, or do you mean another lens? The legendary Contax 100-300 is just over 900 g. Very light compared to modern zooms in that range.

RemcoR

For a 200/4.0, 1080 g is very heavy, The Contax Zeiss zoom is attractive: I never tried it, but it is very tempting, I don't have any 300mm lens.

MikeyBugs95

Belgarchi wrote:

RemcoR wrote:

Belgarchi wrote:

MikeyBugs95 wrote:

The Pentax FA* 200 F4 macro is 1080 g (38.1 oz.). Not very heavy I think, or do you mean another lens? The legendary Contax 100-300 is just over 900 g. Very light compared to modern zooms in that range.

RemcoR

For a 200/4.0, 1080 g is very heavy, The Contax Zeiss zoom is attractive: I never tried it, but it is very tempting, I don't have any 300mm lens.

The Nikon 200mm f4D micro is 1,180 g. The Sigma 180mm f3.5 is 965 g. The Canon 180mm f3.5 is 1,090 g. The Tamron SP 180mm f3.5 is 985 g. 1,080 g is about average (average is 1,060 g) among these mostly modern AF lenses .

-- hide signature --

Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 5,936

Bohemien wrote:

.... because Galen Rowell allegedly used it to shoot his famous Rainbow over Potala Palace photo (I've read that somewhere but can't find the reference, that's why I say "allegedly").

Well, in this case, you perhaps would also add Nikon AF 80-200mm 1:4.5-5.6D because according to Thom Hogan.  Some people aim for light weight but good enough lens quality, some other people may go for the extreme only for image quality, etc.  Extrapolating in this direction further, you may also add Rapid Rectilinear, in particular those cheaper ones, because Edward Weston bought one for $5.00 and used it to record so many great images.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
FKS
FKS Senior Member • Posts: 2,991

I have the 85mm f1.4, and read Ming's article. Found the f2.8 for a good price (MMG!), and I must say I like it better than the f1.4.

Belgarchi wrote:

Mathieu18 wrote:

okay but can’t keep up anymore, they CY 85/2.8 is great but not legendary,

Well, Ming Thein's warm recommendation was already enough for me to make it 'Legendary', but I bought one and it is indeed totally exceptional.

FKS's gear list:FKS's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads