Need advice on New DSLR camera for Photography?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Nickwillk New Member • Posts: 5
Need advice on New DSLR camera for Photography?

Hi Guys,

I am an independent working person and love photography. so now I am decided to buy a new camera for better photography., Guys please suggest me on this, I have a budget of $1k. which camera will be better for me and the important thing I am not an expert in photography.

Thanks

Andy

lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,889
Re: Need advice on New DSLR camera for Photography?

Nickwillk wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am an independent working person and love photography. so now I am decided to buy a new camera for better photography., Guys please suggest me on this, I have a budget of $1k. which camera will be better for me and the important thing I am not an expert in photography.

Have you seen the Buying Guides? This will help reduce the number of choices you have.

"DSLR" is a very specific type of advanced interchangeable lens camera (ILC). "Mirrorless" is another type of advanced ILC. Don't restrict your camera search to only DSLRs.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +33 more
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 8,747

Nickwillk wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am an independent working person and love photography. so now I am decided to buy a new camera for better photography., Guys please suggest me on this, I have a budget of $1k. which camera will be better for me and the important thing I am not an expert in photography.

Thanks

Andy

Typically, your question is answered by first invest in photography class. However, you do need a camera to take a photography class and an iphone is not a tool to learn photography (better use of iphone is to view some of the youtube tutorials).

Since my axe is Nikon, I would recommend Nikon D3000 series, it's up to D3500 @$400. That would leave you with some money for a good lens.

For 1K budget, you cannot go wrong with any other brands "entry level" products.

Good luck and happy clicking...

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5
ZilverHaylide Contributing Member • Posts: 509

mostlyboringphotog wrote:

Nickwillk wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Andy

Typically, your question is answered by first invest in photography class. However, you do need a camera to take a photography class and an iphone is not a tool to learn photography (better use of iphone is to view some of the youtube tutorials).

Since my axe is Nikon, I would recommend Nikon D3000 series, it's up to D3500 @$400. That would leave you with some money for a good lens.

For 1K budget, you cannot go wrong with any other brands "entry level" products.

The OP needs to decide, as a first order of business, whether he might be interested in video. If so, mirrorless makes far more sense than a DSLR.

Also, if interested in selfies, or vlogging, a rear LCD that can be turned forward is almost a necessity. That means either fully-articulated, or one from the small proportion of tilt screens that tilts 180 degrees. I don't think the Nikon 3x00-series has either.

And the low-end Nikon DSLRs have no microphone input.

Nickwillk wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Andy

Some additional thoughts - look into Fujifilm cameras that have dials for Exposure Compensation and ISO setting. Learning photography involves fiddling with the setting and if it's cumbersome as in having to wade into the menu system, one tend to not use it and hope to correct it in post processing, which is never the right way.

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Nickwillk wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Andy

The OP needs to decide, as a first order of business, whether he might be interested in video. If so, mirrorless makes far more sense than a DSLR.

Also, if interested in selfies, or vlogging, a rear LCD that can be turned forward is almost a necessity. That means either fully-articulated, or one from the small proportion of tilt screens that tilts 180 degrees. I don't think the Nikon 3x00-series has either.

Heh, I am an old guy and photography means "still" still and for better photography, I start talking about exposure first...

ZilverHaylide Contributing Member • Posts: 509

ZilverHaylide wrote:

Nickwillk wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Andy

Heh, I am an old guy and photography means "still" still and for better photography, I start talking about exposure first...

I'm an old guy too. Just trying to take into account in my answer that those considerably younger than you or I have grown up with video and selfies, and many may want that capability.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 15,888

These "which DSLR" inquiries come along fairly often.  Links for some past discussions -

Dslr / mirrorless under 1000$ for family events and video

Camera choice for beginner

Canon EOS200D or Nikon 3400?

Which DSLR for macro and landscape photography?

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus OM-D E-M5
OP Nickwillk New Member • Posts: 5

Actually, most of my friends have a camera and they suggest me to go with DSLR camera for travel, family, party and event photography. I am not professional but love to do photography.

Thanks

lehill

Nickwillk wrote:

Actually, most of my friends have a camera and they suggest me to go with DSLR camera for travel, family, party and event photography. I am not professional but love to do photography.

Thanks

That's fine. Get a DSLR that's compatible with a friend that owns a lot of lenses - you can borrow their stuff.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +33 more

Yeah thanks!

Can you please suggest a specific camera in my budget? so that I can purchase according to that.

Thanks

lehill

Nickwillk wrote:

Yeah thanks!

Can you please suggest a specific camera in my budget? so that I can purchase according to that.

Thanks

There's a lot of cameras in your budget. Best thing to do for now is read the Buying Guides, then go down to the camera store and hold some of these cameras with lens attached - they're very heavy and many people don't like that.

Also budget about US$100 for a couple classes on how to operate the camera - the camera store should have these classes. This kind of camera is 100% totally different than a cellphone camera.

Since you mention parties and events an inexpensive TTL flash, about US$110, is a really good idea. This TTL flash will only work on Fuji cameras but this model is also made for Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus/Panasonic cameras.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

Thanks for the TTL flash suggestion, I am not aware of that, It will definitely help me in party events to get awesome pictures.

I will definitely read or watch good tutorials on photography.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 15,888

Nickwillk wrote:

Thanks for the TTL flash suggestion, I am not aware of that, It will definitely help me in party events to get awesome pictures.

I will definitely read or watch good tutorials on photography.

Yup.  Flash can also be a gadgeteer's heaven -

Strobist kit 5

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus OM-D E-M5
bob13bob Contributing Member • Posts: 646

There's a lot of cameras in your budget. Best thing to do for now is read the Buying Guides, then go down to the camera store and hold some of these cameras with lens attached - they're very heavy and many people don't like that.

Also budget about US$100 for a couple classes on how to operate the camera - the camera store should have these classes. This kind of camera is 100% totally different than a cellphone camera.

Strongly disagree with this.

no room in a $1000 budget for classes, you can learn everything you need to know on youtube and practicing.

I would say bump your budget some more, get the used xt20 and some used fuji primes.

the only other i would consider a sony a6000, maybe used with some glass.

-- hide signature --

my equipment: a7iii. NATIVE: sony 50 1.8. samyang 35 2.8. ADAPTED: sigma mc11 adapter. canon 85mm 1.8. sigma (canon) 12-24 4-5.6. canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is ii.

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 7,981

Nickwillk wrote:

Yeah thanks!

Thanks

The good news, there are no bad$1000 DSLRs. They all work just fine, and every single one of them is capable of beautiful photos.

Can't go wrong starting with something like this, especially for this sale price: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1308913-REG/nikon_d5600_dslr_camera_with.html

Or even less expensive: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433064-REG/nikon_1590_d3500_dslr_camera_with.html

Or a step up to a more serious tool with professional-ish handling. You get the camera only, no lens, for $700. It's an absolute bargain: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127271-REG/nikon_1554_d7200_dslr_camera_body.html

The difference between these three cameras is the features, handling, and usability. The photos themselves are indistinguishable. All three even use the same lenses.

These are just three random examples. You'll find similar cameras in the same price range from Canon, Pentax, and others.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +2 more

Thanks for your response, I would love add more budget if I can but I am not in position to spend more money on Camera, so please help to find better DSLR camera in this budget.

bob13bob Contributing Member • Posts: 646

dslrs are dying rapidly to mirrorless.  Canon already said they won't make any dslrs in 2019.  The best selling FF is Sony's ML over canon and nikons dslrs.

you can use this to your advantage by getting great reduced priced dslr glass; but you might dead end yourself i the future since no new glass released or developed.  or you can get a non d ying system like xt20 or a6000.

-- hide signature --

my equipment: a7iii. NATIVE: sony 50 1.8. samyang 35 2.8. ADAPTED: sigma mc11 adapter. canon 85mm 1.8. sigma (canon) 12-24 4-5.6. canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is ii.

andysmith99 New Member • Posts: 1

wow! great cameras at reasonable price. Thanks for this valuable thread.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads