X-T30

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
david8732 Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Enough with the flip out screen please.

KameraKnut wrote:

It's an annoying feature that is most appreciated by a tiny percentage of users.

I've had several cameras with flip out screens and selling one right now, the Panasonic G85. Useful yes but incredibly annoying as it just about ruins the ergonomics of a photo taking experience. Always hated that "wing" hanging from the side of the camera.

Needless cost, complexity and annoyance to those that don't give a care about such a feature. Thank you Fuji for having the courage not to listen to a very vocal minority!

The flip out to the side screen (a la Canon) advocates are indeed a minority, they just seem to shout the loudest and they are egged on by stupid youtubers who seem to think every new camera should have one because of vloggers. I wish they would shut up.

celestialemissary
celestialemissary Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: 1080/120p - 1.29x crop

Mateus1 wrote:

celestialemissary wrote:

Mateus1 wrote:

Big drawback is slow motion 1080/120p mode that is 1.29x crop but It's most popular video feature now.. I do not understand why Fuji limited it... using 18/2 lens you get 23mm field of view, with 16mm close 21mm... so not true wide angle view... + poorer IQ in low light with 1.29x crop.

Not sure if A6400 FHD 120p records in crop too.

A6400 has even bigger crop

Heard different statements... one saying its 1.20x crop

I will try to find real number later

Still X-T30 has less rolling shutter, eterna and 200Mbit codec

Sal Baker Forum Pro • Posts: 11,490

david8732 wrote:

KameraKnut wrote:

It's an annoying feature that is most appreciated by a tiny percentage of users.

I've had several cameras with flip out screens and selling one right now, the Panasonic G85. Useful yes but incredibly annoying as it just about ruins the ergonomics of a photo taking experience. Always hated that "wing" hanging from the side of the camera.

Needless cost, complexity and annoyance to those that don't give a care about such a feature. Thank you Fuji for having the courage not to listen to a very vocal minority!

The flip out to the side screen (a la Canon) advocates are indeed a minority, they just seem to shout the loudest and they are egged on by stupid youtubers who seem to think every new camera should have one because of vloggers. I wish they would shut up.

You seem to live in a strange reality ruled by unfortunate stereotypes.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Re: X-T30

Kevin Barrett wrote:

How many really prefer a "flippy" screen? A vocal minority? It's hard to say from this armchair, but I would suspect Fujifilm did their homework. Personally, I could go either way.

I had never used any kind of flip screen and had no preference before buying the X-T100.  After using it for a few months I would never buy another Fuji that didn't have the fully articulated screen.  I've never once used it for selfies or vlogging, it's a fantastic tool for framing hard to get to shots out in the field.

Fuji must be testing this screen for higher-end video-centric future models.  The build quality and utility are way above what would be profitable on a $499 camera.  They must have a plan to recoup R&D $$ with upcoming cameras.

Sal

Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

I had noticed this in the specs for the X-T30:

AF-C CUSTOM SETTINGS ?????? - is this the customizable AF-C or the presets already in the X-T20?

But i was unsure if this means that the X-T30 has the customizable AF-C setting like the X-T2 and X-T3, and it does. I think this is also a nice addition from Fuji and an improvement over the X-T20.

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
chimphappyhour Senior Member • Posts: 1,087

Rmcp20 wrote:

I had noticed this in the specs for the X-T30:

AF-C CUSTOM SETTINGS ?????? - is this the customizable AF-C or the presets already in the X-T20?

But i was unsure if this means that the X-T30 has the customizable AF-C setting like the X-T2 and X-T3, and it does. I think this is also a nice addition from Fuji and an improvement over the X-T20.

Watch the DPReview hands on initial review.

chimphappyhour's gear list:chimphappyhour's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

Thats where i confirmed it was there!

My only concern now its the D-PAD. I use it quite a bit with my eye in the EVF, which cant be replaced by the swipes....

My other requirements are there:

Good EYE-AF in AF-C (at the moment its even better then the X-T3, so it must be good.

Slow motion at Full HD

Better EVF (at least with better refresh rate, which alone is a must for better hit rate in AF-C)

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 716

I don't do selfies. Not my thing. I like easily being able to tilt up or down without having to flip the big wing out the side. It's faster, more convenient and good for stealth on the street.

Clive

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
bRe: Enough with the flip out screen please.

Clive99 wrote:

I don't do selfies. Not my thing. I like easily being able to tilt up or down without having to flip the big wing out the side. It's faster, more convenient and good for stealth on the street.

Clive

Not exactly sure what your talking about.  If it’s the X/T100’s screen, it tilts up or down easily.  If you want to see it from the side of the camera you can flip it sideways for stealth vertical shooting and very low shots.

I use it almost every day but I’ve never taken a selfie with it. Not my thing either.

Sal

OP CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,897

DiffractionLtd wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

+2. Really dislike flip out screens.

Same here. I have them on 2 cams and realized I prefer the tilt screens.

Why? They are much more limited than flip out. Having both I see that.

I found the flip-out annoying, and I disliked having to look out to the side rather than at the camera.   I know it is useful for some people, but not for me.  I do like the tilt function, though, and like to have that on my cameras.

-- hide signature --
 CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +14 more
surfoxy
surfoxy Regular Member • Posts: 266

Totally disagree, and have a hard time understanding how it's annoying? Personally I don't get why every flip screen isn't fully articulated. They make cameras sell, and it's not just vloggers. Really just makes the camera more versatile.

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
celestialemissary

surfoxy wrote:

Totally disagree, and have a hard time understanding how it's annoying? Personally I don't get why every flip screen isn't fully articulated. They make cameras sell, and it's not just vloggers. Really just makes the camera more versatile.

Like others have said...tilt screen is faster to use and in center with camera.

Now my only camera is Xpro2 with fixed screen and I don't really miss the tilt function

OP CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,897

celestialemissary wrote:

surfoxy wrote:

Now my only camera is Xpro2 with fixed screen and I don't really miss the tilt function

While I prefer tilt over the fully articulating screen, I actually use the tilt so rarely that on my X30, I had entirely forgotten it could tilt!

-- hide signature --
 CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +14 more

Sal Baker wrote:

Sal

I think you seem to live in the exact same world that you seem to judge others by then.

The evidence is there, virtually every youtuber who reviews a new camera always states (if it doesn't already have a flip out screen) that the camera would be so much 'better' 'popular' 'convenient' 'attractive' if they'd have only gone an put a darn flip out screen on the camera. All of them, Gordon Laing, Chris and Jordan, 'the everyday dad' the Northrups' ''Max Yuryev' 'Dave McKeegan' 'Jason Vong'....the list goes on and on, they all want a flip out screen and they all reference it for vloggers, like vloggers are the only people who use cameras.
So, no you are incorrect. I am sick to death of influencers droning on about a flip out screen because they do have influence and they should look at the issue from both sides not just the constant need to sell cameras to vloggers.
The fact of the matter is, and especially for video, a flip out to the side screen is a burden, it's slow, inconvenient, obtrusive and nearly doubles the width of the camera. I get it for certain things (the screen on the XT100 is perfect)  and yes it would be good, but for the small amount of positives they are completely blown out the water by the sheer stupidity of the design.

david8732 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Sal

I think you seem to live in the exact same world that you seem to judge others by then.

The evidence is there, virtually every youtuber who reviews a new camera always states (if it doesn't already have a flip out screen) that the camera would be so much 'better' 'popular' 'convenient' 'attractive' if they'd have only gone an put a darn flip out screen on the camera. All of them, Gordon Laing, Chris and Jordan, 'the everyday dad' the Northrups' ''Max Yuryev' 'Dave McKeegan' 'Jason Vong'....the list goes on and on, they all want a flip out screen and they all reference it for vloggers, like vloggers are the only people who use cameras.
So, no you are incorrect. I am sick to death of influencers droning on about a flip out screen because they do have influence and they should look at the issue from both sides not just the constant need to sell cameras to vloggers.
The fact of the matter is, and especially for video, a flip out to the side screen is a burden, it's slow, inconvenient, obtrusive and nearly doubles the width of the camera. I get it for certain things (the screen on the XT100 is perfect) and yes it would be good, but for the small amount of positives they are completely blown out the water by the sheer stupidity of the design.

You seem to spend a lot of time worrying about what others say about camera gear.  There are plenty of gear choices for everyone to be happy.

And I agree though, the X-T100 screen is perfect IMO, although I doubt that I'm much of an influencer.  

CMCM wrote:

celestialemissary wrote:

surfoxy wrote:

While I prefer tilt over the fully articulating screen, I actually use the tilt so rarely that on my X30, I had entirely forgotten it could tilt!

I'm curious why?  The fully articulating screen like on the X-T100 is a tilt screen.  One doesn't need to use it any other way if they don't want to.

Sal

Sal Baker wrote:

david8732 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Sal

The fact of the matter is, and especially for video, a flip out to the side screen is a burden, it's slow, inconvenient, obtrusive and nearly doubles the width of the camera. I get it for certain things (the screen on the XT100 is perfect) and yes it would be good, but for the small amount of positives they are completely blown out the water by the sheer stupidity of the design.

You seem to spend a lot of time worrying about what others say about camera gear. There are plenty of gear choices for everyone to be happy.

And I agree though, the X-T100 screen is perfect IMO, although I doubt that I'm much of an influencer.

I don't and please stop being so patronising.
I observe and because it is something I feel so strongly about then it affects me. I am concerned purely because they are influencers and camera companies listen to them...and because of this they should consider their actions more. That's it simple.

david8732 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

david8732 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Sal

You seem to spend a lot of time worrying about what others say about camera gear. There are plenty of gear choices for everyone to be happy.

I don't and please stop being so patronising.
I observe and because it is something I feel so strongly about then it affects me. I am concerned purely because they are influencers and camera companies listen to them...and because of this they should consider their actions more. That's it simple.

Camera companies aren't influenced by anecdotal chatter on YouTube or anyone else "droning on" about single camera features or pet peeves.  Camera manufacturers perform professional international market research on large samples of average users, not phanboys or hatters who are vocal on the internet.

I would never allow YouTube or camera rants affect me strongly.  Photography should be fun, and we should simply vote with our wallets.

Sal

celestialemissary

Sal Baker wrote:

CMCM wrote:

celestialemissary wrote:

surfoxy wrote:

I'm curious why? The fully articulating screen like on the X-T100 is a tilt screen. One doesn't need to use it any other way if they don't want to.

Sal

but can you use it in portrait mode like you can with X-T3/X-T2/X-H1 ?

celestialemissary wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

CMCM wrote:

celestialemissary wrote:

surfoxy wrote:

I'm curious why? The fully articulating screen like on the X-T100 is a tilt screen. One doesn't need to use it any other way if they don't want to.

Sal

but can you use it in portrait mode like you can with X-T3/X-T2/X-H1 ?

Absolutely.  You can shoot in portrait (vertical) mode from chest/waist level or on the ground. How does the LCD on those other cameras operate in portrait mode?

Sal

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads