X-T30

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,890
X-T30

I was just on the B&H site and just saw a big promo and video with David Flores for the X-T30, which they were positioning as a small X-T3 as it supposedly incorporates some of the X-T3's new features. It looks pretty nice....and with lens $999 or so.  The ergonomics look pretty nice, too.  It even has a joystick!

-- hide signature --
 CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +14 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FuWing Forum Member • Posts: 91
Re: X-T30

Watching tons of X-T30 reviews on Youtube right now...

-- hide signature --

FuWing

FuWing's gear list:FuWing's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
CaptainNoddy Forum Member • Posts: 66
Flip Out Screen Please

To be honest, I wish this X-T30 has the X-T100 flip out screen.

Otherwise despite the good video features, it cannot attract vloggers.

CaptainNoddy's gear list:CaptainNoddy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Vermont3133
Vermont3133 Contributing Member • Posts: 888

Well there you go.

I have to say Fuji are rigid  and and boringly predictable in their upgrades.

Every upgrade of a particular model incorporates some internal changes, some button rearranging but nothing radical.

A zillion cries for a flippy screen on the x100, XPro, XE series has obviously been ignored.

So why couldn't the XT30 have incorporated a 3 way LCD?...oh yeah...too expensive!

Hang on, they have one on their el chepo budget version the X-T100!

Fuji, stop being anal....and give us something  extraordinary....just like you used to do!

https://500px.com/transact3133

Vermont3133's gear list:Vermont3133's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
daronthebaron
daronthebaron New Member • Posts: 13

CMCM wrote:

I was just on the B&H site and just saw a big promo and video with David Flores for the X-T30, which they were positioning as a small X-T3 as it supposedly incorporates some of the X-T3's new features. It looks pretty nice....and with lens $999 or so. The ergonomics look pretty nice, too. It even has a joystick!

Its 899 USD or 1199 CAD for Body Only, which I believe is the same price as the new Sony A6400.

daronthebaron's gear list:daronthebaron's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 12,116

I have an X-T10, which of course bears the same relationship to the X-T1. It is an excellent little camera and i am perfectly happy with it. The X-Txxs are all the same size, and they are distinctly smaller and lighter than their big brothers; the have a simpler build, fewer features, one less dial on the top plate and a smaller viewfinder.

The big point of controversy is their size/ ergonomics/handling.  They fit some people perfectly. Other people find them too small and the controls too crowded. The first group finds them utterly charming, the second will tell you they are cheap and nasty.  I honestly think you just have to pick one up to find out. I wanted one from the first moment I touched it.

A related concern is handling/pointability  with Fuji's larger lenses. I think the X-Txx cameras work best with smaller primes. So do I, so that's fine- I have the 35mm f/1.4 and the 60mm for mine. If you want to use the bigger, heavier primes and the large zooms, you may be better off with a larger X-Tx camera.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Mihle Regular Member • Posts: 217

Charcoal silver!
Maybe I will upgrade just for that, I dont really care that much about the other stuff.
(Only better AF and lower delay touch screen)
I probably wont tho, because money and X-T20 is good enough. Maybe I will when X-T40 comes out?

JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,750

yardcoyote wrote:

I have an X-T10, which of course bears the same relationship to the X-T1. It is an excellent little camera and i am perfectly happy with it. The X-Txxs are all the same size, and they are distinctly smaller and lighter than their big brothers; the have a simpler build, fewer features, one less dial on the top plate and a smaller viewfinder.

The big point of controversy is their size/ ergonomics/handling. They fit some people perfectly. Other people find them too small and the controls too crowded. The first group finds them utterly charming, the second will tell you they are cheap and nasty. I honestly think you just have to pick one up to find out. I wanted one from the first moment I touched it.

A related concern is handling/pointability with Fuji's larger lenses. I think the X-Txx cameras work best with smaller primes. So do I, so that's fine- I have the 35mm f/1.4 and the 60mm for mine. If you want to use the bigger, heavier primes and the large zooms, you may be better off with a larger X-Tx camera.

I think that's a fair analysis. The X-T30 really stepped up in the computing side of it coming much closer to the X-T3, versus the previous gen (I have both the T2/T20); this shows up on the video side especially in closely matching capabilities.

I believe DPR or Fuji made a mistake about the depth measurement - I suspect that the new body is 41mm deep just as is the X-T20, not the 47mm stated.

Possibly the joystick will allow for less of a cluttered feel, but Fuji very likely made an unforced error moving the Q button onto the thumb rest. Very odd.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
fsc1
fsc1 Regular Member • Posts: 162
Re: Flip Out Screen Please

CaptainNoddy wrote:

I was also expecting the same, but now we have to wait for next x-trans series models..

ViMa
ViMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,494

I'm pleased with it and that new colour is quite nice. Not going to swap my X-T2 for the T30, but I'm in that minority that doesn't mind the removal of the D-Pad that much. In any way, even in the previous generation, if I had gone for that 'tier' of camera, I'd have chosen the X-E3.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 XF 90mm +1 more
Mateus1 Contributing Member • Posts: 890
1080/120p - 1.29x crop

Big drawback is slow motion 1080/120p mode that is 1.29x crop but It's most popular video feature now.. I do not understand why Fuji limited it... using 18/2 lens you get 23mm field of view, with 16mm close 21mm... so not true wide angle view... + poorer IQ in low light with 1.29x crop.

Not sure if A6400 FHD 120p records in crop too.

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,333
Re: X-T30 Does it have intervalometer and long exposures like XT2?

I saw minimum shutter speed was 4 seconds. Hopefully that is not correct.

Secondly it says it can record time lapses. Does that mean it has a built in intervalometer?

Also does it have exposures up to 15 minutes like the XT2 does (and I presume the XT3)?

Otherwise a little beauty.

I'd have to hold one. I tried an XT20 in store and it felt very small. But them small is good and with a nice L angle or grip it could be just right with an 18-55 as a do well at everything semi pocketable camera.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
MAT-TEO Junior Member • Posts: 35

yardcoyote wrote:

The big point of controversy is their size/ ergonomics/handling. They fit some people perfectly. Other people find them too small and the controls too crowded. The first group finds them utterly charming, the second will tell you they are cheap and nasty. I honestly think you just have to pick one up to find out. I wanted one from the first moment I touched it.

A related concern is handling/pointability with Fuji's larger lenses. I think the X-Txx cameras work best with smaller primes. So do I, so that's fine- I have the 35mm f/1.4 and the 60mm for mine. If you want to use the bigger, heavier primes and the large zooms, you may be better off with a larger X-Tx camera.

cant agree more with the point on size. Im not a pro so I end up buying xt20 over xt2. but i find it too small thats why i also bought a 3rd party grip, which makes it almost the same size (or even bigger) than xt2. So now with the Xt3 vs Xt30, I have to take out the "size advantage" of Xt30 in my consideration as I will likely end up adding the grip again if ill upgrade to Xt30.

Vic Chapman Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694
Re: Flip Out Screen Please

CaptainNoddy wrote:

Annoying yes but you cannot expect all Fuji cameras to be all things to all people and at the price they're willing to pay. They have other and better cameras for vloggers.

Of course, there's no doubt either that Fuji have an eye on the profit margin and place their products carefully.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan. Writer, comedian, poet, Goon. 1918 - 2002

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

It is incorrect, its 30 sec + the bulk mode.

Secondly it says it can record time lapses. Does that mean it has a built in intervalometer?

My X-T20 already has an intervalometer, and the X-T30 has as well.

Also does it have exposures up to 15 minutes like the XT2 does (and I presume the XT3)?

As stated above, I think the X-Txx models only offer 30sec max exposure time (or bulk).

I'd have to hold one. I tried an XT20 in store and it felt very small. But them small is good and with a nice L angle or grip it could be just right with an 18-55 as a do well at everything semi pocketable camera.

Greg.

Yes, i use mine with a $15 thumb grip and its very confortable. I also have a front hand grip (also around $15) which helps with the 55-200 or other big lens.

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more

Rmcp20 wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

It is incorrect, its 30 sec + the bulk mode.

My X-T20 already has an intervalometer, and the X-T30 has as well.

As stated above, I think the X-Txx models only offer 30sec max exposure time (or bulk).

Greg.

Yes, i use mine with a $15 thumb grip and its very confortable. I also have a front hand grip (also around $15) which helps with the 55-200 or other big lens.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Greg.

Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 587

Ergonomics! Sorry to say, I have the X-T20 and the ergonomics is the real downside compared to the X-T1, 2 and 3

Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

So the X-T30 is out. Not gonna add or re-comment on the no D-PAD option, its known for a week now.

Improvements not yet confirmed in rumors:

Full HD(1920×1080) High speed rec.
120p/100p 200Mbps(recording) up to approx. 6min. (crop of 1.29x, but better than nothing)

"The two cameras (X-T20 and X-T30) have the same EVF but Fujifilm states that the X-T30’s version will be brighter and will allow for refresh rates of up to 100fps in Boost mode.

Hope the not as responsive doesn't mean a lag that is noticable, because they just removed the D-PAD (i know i said i wasn't going to comment this again.... )

"This means that the joystick is your only control...We didn’t find it to be as responsive as the one on the X-T3 or X-H1"

AE Bracketing (Frames: -2, -3, +3, +2, ±9, ±7, ±5, ±3) - Step: 1/3EV, 2/3EV, 1EV, 4/3EV、5/3EV、2EV、7/3EV、8/3EV、3EV) - the +-9 is new right?

Focus Bracketing (Frames: 1 - 999, Step: 1-10, Interval: 0 - 10s)

AF-C CUSTOM SETTINGS ?????? - is this the customizable AF-C or the presets already in the X-T20?

USB Type-C (USB3.1 Gen1)

Bluetooth Ver. 4.2 (Bluetooth low energy)

Not so good things:

Still only UHS-I cards, but that is fine

Question: For users of models with joystick (X-E3, X-T2 and X-T3). While in shooting mode, can you use the joystick to simulate the D-PAD functions, or does that have to be done via the swipes?

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
Chris Sargent
Chris Sargent Senior Member • Posts: 1,162

Fuji have been generous.. that is a lot of camera for your buck. The Lack of weather sealing is a shame but on paper this looks like a winner and should bring a few more folks over to the 'joy of Fuji'

-- hide signature --
 Chris Sargent's gear list:Chris Sargent's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more

Just been looking at the prices of the X-T3 on Ebay and they have come down a bit.

A new X-T30 is likely to be not far off prices on grey market ebay for X-T3.

Tempting. An 18-55 and the new 16 2.8 could be nice.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads