New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug

Started Feb 13, 2019 | Discussions
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,433
New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug
9

Just released:

Z6: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/315.html

Z7: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/314.html

Fixes issue described here.

Haven't tried it myself yet. I'll let more adventurist owners try it first

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Straz Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug
1

Thanks! I just finished successfully installing it on my Z7 via my iMac. Body firmware is now up to version C 1.03, and camera still seems to work as normal.

Doesn't look like the big update we were eventually expecting, but worth a try for any available improvements.

Here are the claimed improvements:

  • • When On is selected for HDMI > Advanced > N-Log setting in the SETUP MENU, Maximum sensitivity now takes effect during movie recording if:
    • - the camera is in mode P (programmed auto), S (shutter-priority auto), or A (aperture-priority auto), or
    • - the camera is in mode M (manual) and On is selected for ISO sensitivity settings > Auto ISO control (mode M) in the MOVIE SHOOTING MENU.
  • • Fixed an issue that resulted in third-party software showing an incorrect value for the Exif 35 mm format equivalent focal length field for photographs taken with a non-CPU lens connected via an FTZ mount adapter with the focal length specified using the Non-CPU lens data item in the SETUP MENU.
  • • Fixed an issue that resulted in photographs taken using radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting being overexposed if a face was detected with Auto-area AF selected for AF-area mode.

I don't expect to notice any of those changes myself.

 Straz's gear list:Straz's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086
Good
3
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in photographs taken using radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting being overexposed if a face was detected with Auto-area AF selected for AF-area mode.

Going to install it right now. Exactly the issues I have been having for over 2 months with my Speedlight and with off-camera strobes.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
rokoko
rokoko Senior Member • Posts: 1,584
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug

 rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Sony a7 III Nikon Z7
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086
Re: Good
14

DezM wrote:

  • Fixed an issue that resulted in photographs taken using radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting being overexposed if a face was detected with Auto-area AF selected for AF-area mode.

Going to install it right now. Exactly the issues I have been having for over 2 months with my Speedlight and with off-camera strobes.

I can confirm it now works properly. No more overexposed EVF or LCD in AF-C, Auto Area AF. Also, the Face Detect tracking has improved. It followed & tracked a face of a model (on my computer monitor) I shot tonight perfectly.
I'll test it outdoors with a off-camera strobe, where I first found this issue.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
aniltulsi
aniltulsi Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug

This firmware update don't help me in anyways, as I don't work on any of the functions it is giving fixes for. So I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one...

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086
Skipper
5

aniltulsi wrote:

This firmware update don't help me in anyways, as I don't work on any of the functions it is giving fixes for. So I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one...

And here come the people that say "I'll skip this one".  Smh.
Try using a Speedlight with AF-C and Auto Area AF. You'll see the same issue many have been experiencing. Just update your firmware and be on par with the rest of the units......as Nikon intended

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219
can you copy the firmware to the camera through the usb cable??

For some reason it's not letting me copy.  Probably user error.

Steve Ridges Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug
6

Those are only the publicly reported issues that it addresses.  It will have other tech debt / internal bug fixes not reported in the release notes.

tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 7,288
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug

Sometimes yes  sometimes no.  Watching with interest.

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

Orange Elephant
Orange Elephant Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug

Thanks

Z7 update installed - seems fine.

 Orange Elephant's gear list:Orange Elephant's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +6 more
chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 2,406
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug
6

Steve Ridges wrote:

Those are only the publicly reported issues that it addresses. It will have other tech debt / internal bug fixes not reported in the release notes.

My strategy is to update Nikon camera Firmware as a routine procedure. There are very likely other fixes and tweaks that are not undisclosed.

Just installed on my Z7. no hassles based on quick tests

 chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +20 more
gianfranco75 Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Re: can you copy the firmware to the camera through the usb cable??

stimmer wrote:

For some reason it's not letting me copy. Probably user error.

this has been discussed in another thread. The short answer is no, although some claim that they managed to do so, just that the files does not appear in windows/mac but it is there. It doesn't work at all for me though.

 gianfranco75's gear list:gianfranco75's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,957
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug
3

Am I the only one who liked the design of the yellow-to-green progress bar?

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086
Re: New Z6/Z7 firmware out, fixes iTTL face detect bug
2

chambeshi wrote:

Steve Ridges wrote:

Those are only the publicly reported issues that it addresses. It will have other tech debt / internal bug fixes not reported in the release notes.

My strategy is to update Nikon camera Firmware as a routine procedure. There are very likely other fixes and tweaks that are not undisclosed.

Just installed on my Z7. no hassles based on quick tests

Agreed. Nikon is updating for a reason and they've addressed my issue I've been complaining about for months.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086
Re: can you copy the firmware to the camera through the usb cable??
1

stimmer wrote:

For some reason it's not letting me copy. Probably user error.

Use a XQD card reader.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
aniltulsi
aniltulsi Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Skipper

DezM wrote:

aniltulsi wrote:

This firmware update don't help me in anyways, as I don't work on any of the functions it is giving fixes for. So I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one...

And here come the people that say "I'll skip this one". Smh.
Try using a Speedlight with AF-C and Auto Area AF. You'll see the same issue many have been experiencing. Just update your firmware and be on par with the rest of the units......as Nikon intended

As I said, I don't use any of the functions that Nikon is fixing in this update. Why should I use Speed light, just to experience the problem? I don't use speed lights...

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086
Re: Skipper
3

aniltulsi wrote:

DezM wrote:

aniltulsi wrote:

This firmware update don't help me in anyways, as I don't work on any of the functions it is giving fixes for. So I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one...

And here come the people that say "I'll skip this one". Smh.
Try using a Speedlight with AF-C and Auto Area AF. You'll see the same issue many have been experiencing. Just update your firmware and be on par with the rest of the units......as Nikon intended

As I said, I don't use any of the functions that Nikon is fixing in this update. Why should I use Speed light, just to experience the problem? I don't use speed lights...

So don't say anything about it. Just pass on this update without announcing it: "so I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one..." Come on man.

This is a "real one", for many people with the issues it FIXED. And believe, the next update will have this update applied to it as well. No avoiding it.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,957
Re: Skipper
3

DezM wrote:

aniltulsi wrote:

DezM wrote:

aniltulsi wrote:

This firmware update don't help me in anyways, as I don't work on any of the functions it is giving fixes for. So I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one...

And here come the people that say "I'll skip this one". Smh.
Try using a Speedlight with AF-C and Auto Area AF. You'll see the same issue many have been experiencing. Just update your firmware and be on par with the rest of the units......as Nikon intended

As I said, I don't use any of the functions that Nikon is fixing in this update. Why should I use Speed light, just to experience the problem? I don't use speed lights...

So don't say anything about it. Just pass on this update without announcing it: "so I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one..." Come on man.

This is a "real one", for many people with the issues it FIXED. And believe, the next update will have this update applied to it as well. No avoiding it.

Just thought I'd announce to everyone that this subthread about whether aniltulsi will apply this firmware does not help me in any way.

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 35,086
Re: Skipper
1

beatboxa wrote:

DezM wrote:

aniltulsi wrote:

DezM wrote:

aniltulsi wrote:

This firmware update don't help me in anyways, as I don't work on any of the functions it is giving fixes for. So I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one...

And here come the people that say "I'll skip this one". Smh.
Try using a Speedlight with AF-C and Auto Area AF. You'll see the same issue many have been experiencing. Just update your firmware and be on par with the rest of the units......as Nikon intended

As I said, I don't use any of the functions that Nikon is fixing in this update. Why should I use Speed light, just to experience the problem? I don't use speed lights...

So don't say anything about it. Just pass on this update without announcing it: "so I will skip this update and wait for the 'real' one..." Come on man.

This is a "real one", for many people with the issues it FIXED. And believe, the next update will have this update applied to it as well. No avoiding it.

Just thought I'd announce to everyone that this subthread about whether aniltulsi will apply this firmware does not help me in any way.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads