Terrible results using Pentax DA 40 2.8 XS

Started Feb 12, 2019 | Discussions
Robertj_298 Senior Member • Posts: 1,345
Terrible results using Pentax DA 40 2.8 XS

This was reviewed to be a good sharp lens for the $ but mine is quite bad especially at the edges.  My DA 16-45 blows it away in the sharpness department. I'm wondering if I have a bad copy or is this just not a very good lens?

OP Robertj_298 Senior Member • Posts: 1,345
Re: Terrible results using Pentax DA 40 2.8 XS

Here is a 100% center crop and a 100 edge crop

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,892

Robertj_298 wrote:

I don't have the XS version of this lens but I had the smc standard version and now the HD version.  There is something definitely wrong here, the lens should not be that bad.  Even the contrast is poor.

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax K-70 +32 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,631

DougOB wrote:

Robertj_298 wrote:

I don't have the XS version of this lens but I had the smc standard version and now the HD version. There is something definitely wrong here, the lens should not be that bad. Even the contrast is poor.

Doug

I agree, there must be something wrong.

But just so we can isolate and properly demonstrate the problem(s)  (there could be many), please post images taken at a much faster shutter speed. At 1/15, it could be many things, particularly if SR if off. In addition to the general softness and alarming lack of contrast, i think there is some camera shake. Also you should have more direct lighting, it's sometimes hard to see details in such soft light.  Please don't misunderstand me, I think something is quite wrong with the lens, a loose element or something, this does not look normal. But if you're going to send it back, you don't want to leave any room for "yes howevers".

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,693

You have a bad copy, either get it serviced or replaced

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

instamatic84 Regular Member • Posts: 182

Have you tried taking a shot in live view and comparing it with a shot taken through the viewfinder? Maybe you need to do an AF adjustment on the lens.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,014
De-centered

Robertj_298 wrote:

Looks like you may have a de-centered element in the lens.  Check the opposite corner and see if it's also bad but in the other direction (may only be able to tell by manually focusing forward and back

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Ivan Paganacci wrote:

Have you tried taking a shot in live view and comparing it with a shot taken through the viewfinder? Maybe you need to do an AF adjustment on the lens.

I tried it on my Pentax K01 using manual focus with focus peaking and got the same results

DavidB77
DavidB77 Forum Member • Posts: 64

I purchased a second hand DA40Ltd which produced that kind of image... It was a bad copy, send it back as soon as possible. A good (or normal) copy of DA40Ltd should produce perfectly sharp images edge to edge.

DavidB77's gear list:DavidB77's gear list
Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax K-3 II HD Pentax DA AF 1.4X AW Rear Converter Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
dick eduard
dick eduard Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
Hi Robert,

The center looks bad too, did you try fine AF-ajustment?

Cheers

Dick

miles green

Robertj_298 wrote:

Ivan Paganacci wrote:

I tried it on my Pentax K01 using manual focus with focus peaking and got the same results

OK, so that eliminates phase AF errors, good.

If you shot at faster speed (say 1/80 just to be sure you eliminate motion) and it's as bad, well, as you said, it's terrible:

Send it back.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,895
Motion blur?

My first reaction was "motion blur" and note that they've been shot at 1/15 sec which is far too slow for a test shot - suggest shooting in good light and using a shutter speed 1/125 or shorter.

-- hide signature --
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,014
In this....

Model Mike wrote:

My first reaction was "motion blur" ...

In this case that would mean the center of the shot would be nearly as blurred as the corner and it is not. So we can rule out motion blur

...and note that they've been shot at 1/15 sec which is far too slow for a test shot - suggest shooting in good light and using a shutter speed 1/125 or shorter.

Not required if the shot was supported (tripod or such). And even then....wouldn't help with "the center is relatively sharp but corner is excessively blurred"

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,895
Re: In this....

Mako2011 wrote:

Model Mike wrote:

My first reaction was "motion blur" ...

In this case that would mean the center of the shot would be nearly as blurred as the corner and it is not. So we can rule out motion blur

On a careful second look (with both images stitched together) you're probably right, though it seems strange to shoot a test image at 1/15 sec.

-- hide signature --
dpreviewblog Regular Member • Posts: 428

IMHO... bad/decentered lens. Must be serviced or replaced.

dpreviewblog's gear list:dpreviewblog's gear list
Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H Pentax K-1 II +8 more
miles green

Imho, a defective lens AND some motion blur...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece

miles green wrote:

Imho, a defective lens AND some motion blur...

I believe you are correct. Here is the shot with better lighting. Center laft and right crop

I've had this lens for quite some time. It came with a new K01 I bought quite a while back. I never really used it so I guess I'm stuck with it

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,892

Robertj_298 wrote:

I've had this lens for quite some time. It came with a new K01 I bought quite a while back. I never really used it so I guess I'm stuck with it

Well maybe you can salvage the lens and mount caps :-/

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax K-70 +32 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,693

Robertj_298 wrote:

Sell it to someone cheap, maybe they can fix it, I might take a crack at it for the right price

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads