New camera invaded

Started Feb 12, 2019 | Discussions
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
New camera invaded
1

Went to camera shop yesterday to pick up a used DA* 60-250 f4, tried it in shop to make sure SDM motor was working etc. Got home 30 minutes later, put it on my used twice K-70 and I see a small insect in perfect focus crawling across the screen, took a few shots with the camera and it is still there, took off lens and used airblower gently on mirror and now can't see it...

Testing lens and notice sensor stains and tiny skidmarks on the sky area at f11-f14 😥 Maybe the shutter got him or he was on the mirror but now I've to try and clean this up with the Pentax sensor cleaning kit. I hope this dry kit works as it is not dust or pollen.

It must have came from the lens I bought, new camera and sensor dirty already!

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
gravelhopper Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: New camera invaded

Dry spot removers won't do the job. You probaly need to remove it with a q-tip and alcohol. Then you need the spot remover for the lints that will be introduced that way. Ugly surgery on the sensor. Maybe someone has a better idea.

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,636
Re: New camera invaded
1

gravelhopper wrote:

Dry spot removers won't do the job. You probaly need to remove it with a q-tip and alcohol. Then you need the spot remover for the lints that will be introduced that way. Ugly surgery on the sensor. Maybe someone has a better idea.

Poor little spider...

There's yet another advantage mirrorless cameras have!

Sorry, back to the subject: Yes, either get a wet cleaning kit, i doubt the dry one will do. I'd avoid using any chemical that's not specifically made for cleaning sensors. Or go to a camera shop and ask them to do it for you.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
HonourableTyr Senior Member • Posts: 1,087
Re: New camera invaded

gravelhopper wrote:

Dry spot removers won't do the job. You probaly need to remove it with a q-tip and alcohol. Then you need the spot remover for the lints that will be introduced that way. Ugly surgery on the sensor. Maybe someone has a better idea.

DO NOT use a q-tip! Unless you want a million pieces of dust all over the sensor!

I use sensor swabs on my K-5 for stubborn dust or the rare oily smears. Sometimes needs a bit of extra isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) to lift really stuck on bits.

Not sure what cleaning fluid the K-70 is compatible with though. Some sensor coatings don't like ethanol others don't like propan-2-ol or other cleaning fluids.

-- hide signature --
 HonourableTyr's gear list:HonourableTyr's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
DavidB77
DavidB77 Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: New camera invaded

I recommend Sensor Swab too, I use this kit for ten years and never had any problem, it is easy to use. You'll have to select the right "Sensor Swab Type" for APS-C camera (24mm). I don't remember the Type number.

 DavidB77's gear list:DavidB77's gear list
Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
5r82 Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: New camera invaded

Has anyone heard of putting vacuum cleaner nozzle at the lens mount of the DSLR in an attempt to suck as much dust from it as possible?

 5r82's gear list:5r82's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded

5r82 wrote:

Has anyone heard of putting vacuum cleaner nozzle at the lens mount of the DSLR in an attempt to suck as much dust from it as possible?

Not a good idea! Definitely not a good idea!

The mirror and mechanism is so delicate and the suction force will damage it, even air blowers can damage it if you squeeze too hard.

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded
1

miles green wrote:

gravelhopper wrote:

Dry spot removers won't do the job. You probaly need to remove it with a q-tip and alcohol. Then you need the spot remover for the lints that will be introduced that way. Ugly surgery on the sensor. Maybe someone has a better idea.

Poor little spider...

May hell have a nice little hotspot for him 😬

There's yet another advantage mirrorless cameras have!

Sorry, back to the subject: Yes, either get a wet cleaning kit, i doubt the dry one will do. I'd avoid using any chemical that's not specifically made for cleaning sensors. Or go to a camera shop and ask them to do it for you.

I'll try and dry clean first, I have to do the K-30 too but it has a stubborn spot on it so may need a wet kit. There is no way I'd use anything not specially designed for it. I have never wet cleaned a sensor and need a specific recommendation.

No camera shop, I'm a self-do obsessive, if I could bury myself after my death I'd do it 😀

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded

HonourableTyr wrote:

gravelhopper wrote:

Dry spot removers won't do the job. You probaly need to remove it with a q-tip and alcohol. Then you need the spot remover for the lints that will be introduced that way. Ugly surgery on the sensor. Maybe someone has a better idea.

DO NOT use a q-tip! Unless you want a million pieces of dust all over the sensor!

No chance, we call them cotton buds here and they're only good for sticking in your ear hole 😀

I use sensor swabs on my K-5 for stubborn dust or the rare oily smears. Sometimes needs a bit of extra isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) to lift really stuck on bits.

Not sure what cleaning fluid the K-70 is compatible with though. Some sensor coatings don't like ethanol others don't like propan-2-ol or other cleaning fluids.

Apparently the K-70 and other modern bodies have SP coating, the same as modern Pentax front lens elements. This is a new camera so I'm going to be 100% sure what to use first.

I might go back to 35mm film 😃

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded

DavidB77 wrote:

I recommend Sensor Swab too, I use this kit for ten years and never had any problem, it is easy to use. You'll have to select the right "Sensor Swab Type" for APS-C camera (24mm). I don't remember the Type number.

Which one? A search online brings up 100s of products.

The Photosol brand?

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,636
Re: New camera invaded

Oiche wrote:

miles green wrote:

gravelhopper wrote:

Dry spot removers won't do the job. You probaly need to remove it with a q-tip and alcohol. Then you need the spot remover for the lints that will be introduced that way. Ugly surgery on the sensor. Maybe someone has a better idea.

Poor little spider...

May hell have a nice little hotspot for him 😬

There's yet another advantage mirrorless cameras have!

Sorry, back to the subject: Yes, either get a wet cleaning kit, i doubt the dry one will do. I'd avoid using any chemical that's not specifically made for cleaning sensors. Or go to a camera shop and ask them to do it for you.

I'll try and dry clean first, I have to do the K-30 too but it has a stubborn spot on it so may need a wet kit. There is no way I'd use anything not specially designed for it. I have never wet cleaned a sensor and need a specific recommendation.

No camera shop, I'm a self-do obsessive, if I could bury myself after my death I'd do it 😀

Lol, OK I get the picture.

Since 2010 I've cleaned the K5 a half dozen times, and the K1, not at all. Usually caution and the blower does the job. But it's pretty easy and straightforward, just get a kit and go for it. My cleaning kit is old, so I can't give an up-to-date recommendation...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
DavidB77
DavidB77 Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: New camera invaded

Oiche wrote:

DavidB77 wrote:

I recommend Sensor Swab too, I use this kit for ten years and never had any problem, it is easy to use. You'll have to select the right "Sensor Swab Type" for APS-C camera (24mm 17mm). I don't remember the Type number.

Which one? A search online brings up 100s of products.

The Photosol brand?

I have something like that: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Survival-Kit-Eclipse-Cleaner/dp/B001F0ICZO

WARNING: Sorry, I made a mistake in my original post, Type 3 (24mm) is for Full-Frame, you have to purchase Type 2 (17mm) for APS-C !!!

 DavidB77's gear list:DavidB77's gear list
Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
gravelhopper Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: New camera invaded

Well, I am actually using a vacuum. I adapted a soft 30cm silicone tube to the vac's nozzle. I am very careful with handling it and do not go anywhere near sensitive components. The mirror box collects lots of dust over time and the vac technique helps removing it thoroughly without the risk to move dust further onto sensor, mechanics etc.

gravelhopper Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: New camera invaded

Good to know there is such thing that can be complemented with liquid solvents. So far, I never had dust on my sensors.

OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded

DavidB77 wrote:

Oiche wrote:

DavidB77 wrote:

I recommend Sensor Swab too, I use this kit for ten years and never had any problem, it is easy to use. You'll have to select the right "Sensor Swab Type" for APS-C camera (24mm 17mm). I don't remember the Type number.

Which one? A search online brings up 100s of products.

The Photosol brand?

I have something like that: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Survival-Kit-Eclipse-Cleaner/dp/B001F0ICZO

WARNING: Sorry, I made a mistake in my original post, Type 3 (24mm) is for Full-Frame, you have to purchase Type 2 (17mm) for APS-C !!!

Thanks, I don't buy from that vendor and I live on the other side of the Atlantic but good info on the APS-C size pads.

I ordered a 12x sealed packet 16mm microfibre swab sticks with 15ml fluid from ebay for about £8. It will be good to have wet cleaning when needed alongside the

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded

gravelhopper wrote:

Good to know there is such thing that can be complemented with liquid solvents. So far, I never had dust on my sensors.

It depends what you do I suppose, I am usually up in windy mountains having to do lens changes, pollen is the problem and not necessarily dust, pollen is sticky by nature. Ireland is covered in grass hence the Emerald Isle so it depends on the location too I suppose, a desert region would have little pollen I imagine.

I seen your post about the vacuum cleaner, but this is a new K-70. It is strange you feel the need to do this and never had dust on the sensor. Maybe you don't see it using wide apertures but a regular f13 user with the sky in the frame will spot sensor dirt quickly.

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Emmanuel Diver Contributing Member • Posts: 599
Re: New camera invaded

Oiche wrote:

Went to camera shop yesterday to pick up a used DA* 60-250 f4, tried it in shop to make sure SDM motor was working etc. Got home 30 minutes later, put it on my used twice K-70 and I see a small insect in perfect focus crawling across the screen, took a few shots with the camera and it is still there, took off lens and used airblower gently on mirror and now can't see it...

Testing lens and notice sensor stains and tiny skidmarks on the sky area at f11-f14 😥 Maybe the shutter got him or he was on the mirror but now I've to try and clean this up with the Pentax sensor cleaning kit. I hope this dry kit works as it is not dust or pollen.

It must have came from the lens I bought, new camera and sensor dirty already!

Out of interest did you mention it to the shop and what did they say. That's a pain like..

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/mannydee
www.pentaxphotogallery.com/emmanuelmdiver

 Emmanuel Diver's gear list:Emmanuel Diver's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +2 more
gravelhopper Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: New camera invaded

Good point - most times I use the widest aperture with my lenses. I will do a test with a narrow aperture. Tough to me it is not obvious, why it makes a difference. Partcles on the sensor should block light, no matter how directed / diffuse incoming light is. With particles inside a lens, the difference is obvious.

OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded

Emmanuel Diver wrote:

Oiche wrote:

Went to camera shop yesterday to pick up a used DA* 60-250 f4, tried it in shop to make sure SDM motor was working etc. Got home 30 minutes later, put it on my used twice K-70 and I see a small insect in perfect focus crawling across the screen, took a few shots with the camera and it is still there, took off lens and used airblower gently on mirror and now can't see it...

Testing lens and notice sensor stains and tiny skidmarks on the sky area at f11-f14 😥 Maybe the shutter got him or he was on the mirror but now I've to try and clean this up with the Pentax sensor cleaning kit. I hope this dry kit works as it is not dust or pollen.

It must have came from the lens I bought, new camera and sensor dirty already!

Out of interest did you mention it to the shop and what did they say. That's a pain like..

No, I can't say it definitely came from the lens, just one of those things. I'm always having to clean the sensor anyhow. The DA* 60-250 seems like a fabulous lens though, I've only tested it in the house and pixel peeped to find where it is best at, one thing for sure... the colours and contrast are fabulous.

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
OP Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: New camera invaded

gravelhopper wrote:

Good point - most times I use the widest aperture with my lenses. I will do a test with a narrow aperture. Tough to me it is not obvious, why it makes a difference. Partcles on the sensor should block light, no matter how directed / diffuse incoming light is. With particles inside a lens, the difference is obvious.

You won't see debris or dust particles within the lens, that is why a lens can have dust, debris and even fungus and to no obvious detriment. The DA* 60-250 I just bought has debris in it, maybe even a spider in it, now a dead one 😀 I might try and take out the front element sometime to remove it but not really necessary.

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads