7dmk2 in 2019?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
benjilafouine Senior Member • Posts: 2,097
Re: 7dmk2 in 2019?

I got burned once buying used and it cost me 4,000.00$ (a used Sea-Doo that engine failed after one month) so I promised myself not to buy used anymore although a used camera cost much less than that. And I had paid this ski 4,000.00$...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Why make it simple when it can be complicated?
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,183

trulandphoto wrote:

I've been deciding how to get some extra reach and speed to complement my 5DIII bodies. Lenses didn't really work due to cost and bulk.

I decided on a used 7DII after considering newer XXD and Rebel bodies.

Crop DSLR bodies I've owned (and sold) are 1DIII, 7D, 80D, 70D, 60D, 50D, 30D and SL1. I'm hoping the 7DII will be what I'm looking for.

As long as you understand and accept its limitations, it can be a satisfying DSLR to use.

It isn't a camera where you can under-expose ISO 100 by 4 stops and get ISO-1600-like results, although the character of noise is very fine and random compared to many other cameras.

At high ISOs, it's visibly as good (when normalized for subject; not for the pixels) as the 5D4 when you would have to crop the 5D4 1.6x, and better than a 1.6x crop from all the other Canon FF cameras except the 1Dx series. It has more high-ISO noise, though, than something like the Nikon D500 which has a great sensor except for its annoying lack of an AA filter.

It doesn't have great f/8 AF; it's only good for center-point with relatively stationary objects with good contrast and simple scene depth near the AF points. The lack of better f/8 AF vision and more f/8 AF points is the sore spot with the camera that makes me wish for a 7D3; the 7D2 was in development just a few moths too early, IMO, to get the better f/8 AF that it should have had.

trulandphoto
trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 877

trulandphoto wrote:

benjilafouine wrote:

I looked for one also on ebay but they seem to be selling at 2/3 of the price of new, but used.

The one I picked up was less than 1/2 of new but a lot of unknowns. Seller is a camera store with a 30 day return, though, so it's not a big risk.

I guess I lucked out. The body looks like new and has less than 25,000 shutter count according to the mac app. Seems to function well.

Maybe bargain price was due to no box, strap, or original charger and the LP-E6 is on its last legs. But I've got plenty of Canon batteries and chargers and I use OP/TECH straps.

Not bad for US $669.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more
EJ Fudd Senior Member • Posts: 1,519

I do not think canceling a camera would save them money or is in their best interest. maybe delay it release by a year, spending less on R and D or plan to extend the life of the camera another year to recoup sales. Also consider the option of combining the 80D and 7D mark II replacements into 1 (both are due or over due for a refresh) but why put out 2 bodies that are close in specs,also  reduced R and D, increases sales of that camera

-- hide signature --

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it."
A Great Quote by Edward Weston...

EJ Fudd's gear list:EJ Fudd's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +17 more
Bob Markey II Contributing Member • Posts: 684

I've decided to return to the 1D series and am selling my 9+ 7D II, grip, four newish batteries, dual charger, all accessories and packaging.

Bob Markey II's gear list:Bob Markey II's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,183

Bob Markey II wrote:

I've decided to return to the 1D series and am selling my 9+ 7D II, grip, four newish batteries, dual charger, all accessories and packaging.

What does "return to the 1D series" mean? That's pretty vague. What model(s)? Do you already own them or plan to buy them?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads