Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
User9362470513 New Member • Posts: 8
Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
7

I posted this in the Open Forum before realising this forum existed (the DPR Forums are so out of date and need a total revamp, but that's another issue).

Late last year I shelled out over £200 for the complete bundle of Capture One Styles. I had read some reviews online that were generally positive and the marketing images looked excellent.

I am posting this for the benefit of other would-be purchasers in case they also search for Capture One Pro Styles reviews and comments: do yourself a massive favour AND DON'T BUY THEM!

I have had post-purchase dissonance in the past and the good news is that if you spend a lot of money on something and really don't like it, you can always try and re-sell it to recover some money. Well, I have never felt more disappointed about a relatively expensive purchase especially one that it is not possible to on-sell.

The Styles are generally horrible - I would say 90% simply overexpose the image and 50% add horrible grain. Maybe one or two actually enhance the photo, but with a bit of tweaking in C1P or Photoshop I could have attained the same in not a lot of time. There are also close to 100 of them when you buy all the packs so it takes a LONG time to scroll through each (and dismiss them as ugly). The worst thing is that they are ALL indistinguishable - most of them all look exactly the same. And the b/w ones aren't particularly nice either

I think I was expecting miracles, and the marketing images looked so impressive, but the Styles are just not worth it, certainly not at the discounted price of £200 let alone the full price.

Capture One Pro is an impressive piece of software that has a steep learning curve, but do yourself a favour and save the money you would spend on the Styles - just download the free set and leave it at that.

irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,429
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
8

User9362470513 wrote:

I posted this in the Open Forum before realising this forum existed (the DPR Forums are so out of date and need a total revamp, but that's another issue).

Late last year I shelled out over £200 for the complete bundle of Capture One Styles. I had read some reviews online that were generally positive and the marketing images looked excellent.

I am posting this for the benefit of other would-be purchasers in case they also search for Capture One Pro Styles reviews and comments: do yourself a massive favour AND DON'T BUY THEM!

I have had post-purchase dissonance in the past and the good news is that if you spend a lot of money on something and really don't like it, you can always try and re-sell it to recover some money. Well, I have never felt more disappointed about a relatively expensive purchase especially one that it is not possible to on-sell.

The Styles are generally horrible - I would say 90% simply overexpose the image and 50% add horrible grain. Maybe one or two actually enhance the photo, but with a bit of tweaking in C1P or Photoshop I could have attained the same in not a lot of time. There are also close to 100 of them when you buy all the packs so it takes a LONG time to scroll through each (and dismiss them as ugly). The worst thing is that they are ALL indistinguishable - most of them all look exactly the same. And the b/w ones aren't particularly nice either

I think I was expecting miracles, and the marketing images looked so impressive, but the Styles are just not worth it, certainly not at the discounted price of £200 let alone the full price.

Capture One Pro is an impressive piece of software that has a steep learning curve, but do yourself a favour and save the money you would spend on the Styles - just download the free set and leave it at that.

Styles and presets (for Lightroom, Capture One or any other software) are always useless, because they only perfectly fit the picture used to sell them. Anything else will need tweaking, which you can do on your own.

mli20 Regular Member • Posts: 265
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - No upgrades, no support
1

Any potential buyer should consider, that this is software delivered "as-is": No obligation on PhaseOne to provide upgrades or support.

Come Capture One v. 13 you may find that styles are no longer working. Tough luck.

Details at PhaseOne Legal Notices

MLi

MattPointZero
MattPointZero Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
1

User9362470513 wrote:

I posted this in the Open Forum before realising this forum existed (the DPR Forums are so out of date and need a total revamp, but that's another issue).

Late last year I shelled out over £200 for the complete bundle of Capture One Styles. I had read some reviews online that were generally positive and the marketing images looked excellent.

I am posting this for the benefit of other would-be purchasers in case they also search for Capture One Pro Styles reviews and comments: do yourself a massive favour AND DON'T BUY THEM!

I have had post-purchase dissonance in the past and the good news is that if you spend a lot of money on something and really don't like it, you can always try and re-sell it to recover some money. Well, I have never felt more disappointed about a relatively expensive purchase especially one that it is not possible to on-sell.

The Styles are generally horrible - I would say 90% simply overexpose the image and 50% add horrible grain. Maybe one or two actually enhance the photo, but with a bit of tweaking in C1P or Photoshop I could have attained the same in not a lot of time. There are also close to 100 of them when you buy all the packs so it takes a LONG time to scroll through each (and dismiss them as ugly). The worst thing is that they are ALL indistinguishable - most of them all look exactly the same. And the b/w ones aren't particularly nice either

I think I was expecting miracles, and the marketing images looked so impressive, but the Styles are just not worth it, certainly not at the discounted price of £200 let alone the full price.

Capture One Pro is an impressive piece of software that has a steep learning curve, but do yourself a favour and save the money you would spend on the Styles - just download the free set and leave it at that.

Completely agree - the styles are as overpriced and ineffectual as could possibly be - I rarely find they work for anything.

I absolutely echo that NOONE should buy this horrible and expensive add on product - presets can be good, I have some ( small percentage of the million available) in LR that I like, but the CO styles are pretty nasty.

 MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2
OP User9362470513 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
2

MattPointZero wrote:

User9362470513 wrote:

I posted this in the Open Forum before realising this forum existed (the DPR Forums are so out of date and need a total revamp, but that's another issue).

Late last year I shelled out over £200 for the complete bundle of Capture One Styles. I had read some reviews online that were generally positive and the marketing images looked excellent.

I am posting this for the benefit of other would-be purchasers in case they also search for Capture One Pro Styles reviews and comments: do yourself a massive favour AND DON'T BUY THEM!

I have had post-purchase dissonance in the past and the good news is that if you spend a lot of money on something and really don't like it, you can always try and re-sell it to recover some money. Well, I have never felt more disappointed about a relatively expensive purchase especially one that it is not possible to on-sell.

The Styles are generally horrible - I would say 90% simply overexpose the image and 50% add horrible grain. Maybe one or two actually enhance the photo, but with a bit of tweaking in C1P or Photoshop I could have attained the same in not a lot of time. There are also close to 100 of them when you buy all the packs so it takes a LONG time to scroll through each (and dismiss them as ugly). The worst thing is that they are ALL indistinguishable - most of them all look exactly the same. And the b/w ones aren't particularly nice either

I think I was expecting miracles, and the marketing images looked so impressive, but the Styles are just not worth it, certainly not at the discounted price of £200 let alone the full price.

Capture One Pro is an impressive piece of software that has a steep learning curve, but do yourself a favour and save the money you would spend on the Styles - just download the free set and leave it at that.

Completely agree - the styles are as overpriced and ineffectual as could possibly be - I rarely find they work for anything.

I absolutely echo that NOONE should buy this horrible and expensive add on product - presets can be good, I have some ( small percentage of the million available) in LR that I like, but the CO styles are pretty nasty.

Thanks, you have made me more depressed!!! I just wish I had known this when I shelled out for the Styles. What a waste of £200. How Capture One get away with it...

MattPointZero
MattPointZero Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
1

User9362470513 wrote:

MattPointZero wrote:

User9362470513 wrote:

I posted this in the Open Forum before realising this forum existed (the DPR Forums are so out of date and need a total revamp, but that's another issue).

Late last year I shelled out over £200 for the complete bundle of Capture One Styles. I had read some reviews online that were generally positive and the marketing images looked excellent.

I am posting this for the benefit of other would-be purchasers in case they also search for Capture One Pro Styles reviews and comments: do yourself a massive favour AND DON'T BUY THEM!

I have had post-purchase dissonance in the past and the good news is that if you spend a lot of money on something and really don't like it, you can always try and re-sell it to recover some money. Well, I have never felt more disappointed about a relatively expensive purchase especially one that it is not possible to on-sell.

The Styles are generally horrible - I would say 90% simply overexpose the image and 50% add horrible grain. Maybe one or two actually enhance the photo, but with a bit of tweaking in C1P or Photoshop I could have attained the same in not a lot of time. There are also close to 100 of them when you buy all the packs so it takes a LONG time to scroll through each (and dismiss them as ugly). The worst thing is that they are ALL indistinguishable - most of them all look exactly the same. And the b/w ones aren't particularly nice either

I think I was expecting miracles, and the marketing images looked so impressive, but the Styles are just not worth it, certainly not at the discounted price of £200 let alone the full price.

Capture One Pro is an impressive piece of software that has a steep learning curve, but do yourself a favour and save the money you would spend on the Styles - just download the free set and leave it at that.

Completely agree - the styles are as overpriced and ineffectual as could possibly be - I rarely find they work for anything.

I absolutely echo that NOONE should buy this horrible and expensive add on product - presets can be good, I have some ( small percentage of the million available) in LR that I like, but the CO styles are pretty nasty.

Thanks, you have made me more depressed!!! I just wish I had known this when I shelled out for the Styles. What a waste of £200. How Capture One get away with it...

sorry!  You aren't the only one who has done it mate.  But I agree, the pricing lets them down hugely - the one good thing about them is application via an opacity-adjustable layer, but still.  They should be £50 for all of them, max!

 MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2
RHWeber
RHWeber Regular Member • Posts: 491
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
5

I downloaded the free samples of the Phase One Styles and I was not very happy with them. Amoung other issues is that they simply identified by number. The number gives no indication of the look of the style. I was not going to through them and relabel them. However i like to use film type styles particularly with black and white films as I am very familiar with many black and white films from by film and black and white dark room days. I found a set of styles from a site called http://1styles.pro that will sell you styles for every black and white film I have ever used. They are very very to install and use and I use them a lot for black and white conversions of RAW images.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotographs.com
bweberphotography@mac.com

 RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
TDL2024 Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
2

I never recommend buying presets or styles.  It's not like it's magic to create one, often times you can mimic it yourself in 10 minutes or less.

On top of that, you have to factor in that by using commercially available presets, your photos are now going to look like everyone else's who also bought that set.

 TDL2024's gear list:TDL2024's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +2 more
RHWeber
RHWeber Regular Member • Posts: 491
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?

I agree with much of your observation   However i like to start with a film based b&w style and then adjust it for portraits or landcspes and save my work as my own style

TDL2024 wrote:

I never recommend buying presets or styles. It's not like it's magic to create one, often times you can mimic it yourself in 10 minutes or less.

On top of that, you have to factor in that by using commercially available presets, your photos are now going to look like everyone else's who also bought that set.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotographs.com
bweberphotography@mac.com

 RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
WYPictures Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?

OP can give RNI a try - as they now support C1. Unfortunately no free demo that I can see...

You can get the Lite version, then only pay the difference to upgrade to the full version later.

But don't blame me if they don't work for you either....

I liked RNI when I was using LR. No longer use it since I switched to DXO. If they release a version for DXO, I'll probably purchase it again.

 WYPictures's gear list:WYPictures's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 666
Did you ask for a refund for the 'Styles'? If so, did C1 refund you?

User9362470513 wrote:

I posted this in the Open Forum before realising this forum existed (the DPR Forums are so out of date and need a total revamp, but that's another issue).

Late last year I shelled out over £200 for the complete bundle of Capture One Styles. I had read some reviews online that were generally positive and the marketing images looked excellent.

I am posting this for the benefit of other would-be purchasers in case they also search for Capture One Pro Styles reviews and comments: do yourself a massive favour AND DON'T BUY THEM!

I have had post-purchase dissonance in the past and the good news is that if you spend a lot of money on something and really don't like it, you can always try and re-sell it to recover some money. Well, I have never felt more disappointed about a relatively expensive purchase especially one that it is not possible to on-sell.

The Styles are generally horrible - I would say 90% simply overexpose the image and 50% add horrible grain. Maybe one or two actually enhance the photo, but with a bit of tweaking in C1P or Photoshop I could have attained the same in not a lot of time. There are also close to 100 of them when you buy all the packs so it takes a LONG time to scroll through each (and dismiss them as ugly). The worst thing is that they are ALL indistinguishable - most of them all look exactly the same. And the b/w ones aren't particularly nice either

I think I was expecting miracles, and the marketing images looked so impressive, but the Styles are just not worth it, certainly not at the discounted price of £200 let alone the full price.

Capture One Pro is an impressive piece of software that has a steep learning curve, but do yourself a favour and save the money you would spend on the Styles - just download the free set and leave it at that.

Thx for sharing your feedback, as contemplating myself to move to C1 and was questioning if I should go for the C1 software only or C1 software + Styles pack..

BUT... 2 QUESTIONS

  • Did you ask for a refund for the 'Styles'?
  • If so, did C1 refund you?
gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 666
1styles.pro

RHWeber wrote:

I found a set of styles from a site called http://1styles.pro that will sell you styles for every black and white film I have ever used. They are very very to install and use and I use them a lot for black and white conversions of RAW images.

Thx for that!!

OP User9362470513 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Did you ask for a refund for the 'Styles'? If so, did C1 refund you?

Yes. No. They sent a bog standard response thanking me for their feedback while not addressing any of the points I had made. Very unimpressed.

Is is it possible to sell on the downloaded styles?

Neil-O Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
2

As far as I can see if you have the trial version of C1 pro you can copy the settings in each of the "styles", so if there happens to be a few you like the look of it isn't too difficult to reproduce them for yourself save them as user styles and then buy the basic package.

But I agree, having played with the program for a few days now I can't see anything particularly wonderful about these presets, and given the extra cost of the souped up versions it looks like a good old fashioned rip off to me.

It's a shame because I am very impressed with Capture One and will probably shell out for a licence when the trial runs out, but the attempt to con buyers into paying a significant premium for the presets doesn't sit well with me.

mli20 Regular Member • Posts: 265
Selling: Depends on location

User9362470513 wrote:

Is is it possible to sell on the downloaded styles?

Depends on your location. In the EU you can do so freely.

MLi

Fadde New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?
1

Hi,

I created this account simply to let you know that your decision to create this thread saved me from buying the style pack before purchasing the software. I could not find any useful info about this anywhere else on the web so this was the only source.

As others also have mentioned, the style pack’s product pictures looks great so quickly you get sucked in to believe that this product will work smoothly with all pictures, why else the high cost, right?

I am extremely thankful for this thread, so thank you!!

Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 599
Thanks OP

I'm about to fork out and pay for C1 (am using the free Fuji trial at the moment), because L/R CC has ground to a miserable halt on my iMac.  What a crappy piece of software L/R became - it used to be wonderful but with each iteration it got slower and slower.  I even updated to a faster imac, but still no difference.  I'm so p$%%ed that I now have to turn around a learn a brand new software package (after using L/R for yrs and becoming very proficient).  It seems to be taking ages to learn C1, and I'm only progressing very slowly.  I was about to buy all the C1 Styles to give me a 'leg up', so thanks a heap for stopping me from wasting my hard earned money.  Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

stevie wonder
stevie wonder Contributing Member • Posts: 890
Re: Capture One Pro Styles - Should you buy?

A fool and his money are easily parted.😳

 stevie wonder's gear list:stevie wonder's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +14 more
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Contributing Member • Posts: 987
Re: Thanks OP

Sutto wrote:

I'm about to fork out and pay for C1 (am using the free Fuji trial at the moment), because L/R CC has ground to a miserable halt on my iMac. What a crappy piece of software L/R became - it used to be wonderful but with each iteration it got slower and slower. I even updated to a faster imac, but still no difference. I'm so p$%%ed that I now have to turn around a learn a brand new software package (after using L/R for yrs and becoming very proficient). It seems to be taking ages to learn C1, and I'm only progressing very slowly. I was about to buy all the C1 Styles to give me a 'leg up', so thanks a heap for stopping me from wasting my hard earned money. Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Good choice, both C1 and not buying styles.

For what it is worth, I found C1 very frustrating at first, always trying to make it behave like LR.  It really does get more intuitive over time, and has many advantages over LR (and some disadvantages)

I still use both systems depending on what I am doing, and sometimes my mood - once you get over the awkwardness of switching I imagine you will come to appreciate what C1 can do so it is worth sticking with.

 MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2
Chris Hutcheson New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Thanks OP

I am about to push the button on an upgrade to Capture One full version as well, after having used Lightroom for over 8 years and tens of thousands of images. As much as I like its editing capabilities Lightroom has slowed down with every release lately, and I've had enough. I bought the FUJI version a while ago and for FUJI files like it much more than LR. I'll have to ride the learning curve for a while, but think it'll be worth the ride.

Incidentally, it's cheaper to buy the FUJI version and then upgrade to the full version than to buy the full one outright.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads