Switching to M43 but...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Ben of the North
Ben of the North Regular Member • Posts: 391
Switching to M43 but...

I'm thinking about switching from Fuji to the Panasonic G9. But I'm afraid the G9 could be the last M43 camera by Panasonic... What do you think?

Ben of the North's gear list:Ben of the North's gear list
Canon G9 X II Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,776
Re: Switching to M43 but...

Ben of the North wrote:

I'm thinking about switching from Fuji to the Panasonic G9. But I'm afraid the G9 could be the last M43 camera by Panasonic... What do you think?

Extremely unlikely. That, at least to me, would completely kill any trust in Panasonic as a camera maker.

Would you buy a camera from a company that drops all of their existing users and abandons their earlier achievements for a shiny new toy and a tiny group of potential new users?

I know I wouldn't.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,704

Perhaps the Fuji X-T3 will be the last camera in that style from Fuji.  We have no reason to think so, but it might be.  In the same way the G9 might be the last m43 camera from Panasonic.  We have no (good) reason to think so, but it might be.

And, as the proud owner of a G9 - especially since the last firmware update - I say this is a real stake in the ground for what m43 can do.  It's kind of amazing.  The only thing that might make me upgrade to a future m43 camera before this one is used up would be a BSI sensor. and what that enables.  In the mean time I'm having lots of fun and lots of success with the G9.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +4 more
Kszchopstix Regular Member • Posts: 390

There's potential to pull out but looking at Sony they still pump out their apsc a6xxx models. So long as there is money to be made Panasonic won't pull out. If you buy a g9 it shows Panasonic that there is interest in mft. If you don't then that's one less reason for them to stay with mft.

the g9 is already a pretty capable camera for years to come, so I don't know of what time frame you are thinking here to "switch " to a new camera... g9 already has a lot of stills and video features that can keep you happy unless you want extreme shadow pulling (6 stops in Sony ff vs 3-4 stops in m43) which only landscape photographers need . For everything else 3-4 stops is good enough and you can exposure bracket and merge .

Kszchopstix's gear list:Kszchopstix's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Tokina Reflex 300mm F6.3 MF Macro +7 more
SergeyFromMoscow
SergeyFromMoscow Regular Member • Posts: 324

no reason for a company to support two mounts, they put newest tech in L-mount cameras and IMHO they will make remakes of G9 and GH5 cheaply for few more years before finally discontinuing it.

SergeyFromMoscow's gear list:SergeyFromMoscow's gear list
Sony a7S Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +6 more
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,013

While you can argue they may focus less attention, it's practically impossible for G9 to  be their last MFT camera given their recent statements and the fact that their S-series cameras simply can't fulfill the markets that they are currently covering with M43.

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-underlines-long-term-commitment-to-both-micr-four-thirds-and-l-mount-system/

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-we-will-never-give-up-on-mft-because-70-of-the-system-camera-market-is-not-full-frame/

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,013

SergeyFromMoscow wrote:

no reason for a company to support two mounts, they put newest tech in L-mount cameras and IMHO they will make remakes of G9 and GH5 cheaply for few more years before finally discontinuing it.

As long is it serves different markets, there is reason. The S-series cameras simply can't cover the markets Panasonic is serving now and they have no plans for APS-C cameras using L-mount, so Panasonic still needs M43 to exist.

Panasonic is no stranger to supporting more than one mount in the video market (B4 and EF), so it won't bother them to support two in the stills market.

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
keepfocused Regular Member • Posts: 330

Probably not an easy thing to do but could Panasonic possibly bring out something like a G9-R (keeping same size), beef up its processing power and deliver their take on the E-M1X new features for a much more respectable price (nearly half say) especially as the E-M1iii is apparently nearly two years away!! Could they do it?

keepfocused's gear list:keepfocused's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +4 more
RED i Senior Member • Posts: 1,568

SergeyFromMoscow wrote:

M43 users will not be switching to Panny FF in groves and dumping all their gear, different market, tons of semi pro video guys.

-- hide signature --

(Yes I do take and have photos) http://bluei.ca

RED i's gear list:RED i's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Sony a7S Sony 20mm F2.8 +1 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,598

SergeyFromMoscow wrote:

but they already have many hard core users like me who have absolutely no desire for a FF camera, why would they want to lose me to another manufacturer.  At the moment he only place I may go is Olympus and if I did I might just as easily come back.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
dabhand
dabhand Regular Member • Posts: 126

SergeyFromMoscow wrote:

Nonsense reply from a troll.

-- hide signature --

You have cameras, lenses and a desire to take pictures. A pro shoots with his kit and worries about clients, prosumers worry about their lenses - everyone else worries about everything.

dabhand's gear list:dabhand's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax K-1 Panasonic G85 Pentax KP +9 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,764

Ben of the North wrote:

Its not an issue unless you are planning a large investment in lenses which I assume you are not based on your lens profile. I own a bunch of cheap M43 lenses that are really good.

What I would not do is invest in expensive M43 lenses under any circumstances.

So go for it but control the lens spending.

-- hide signature --

MOGA ( Make Olympus Great Again)

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Ben of the North
OP Ben of the North Regular Member • Posts: 391

Thanks for your input guys!

Its just that I'm a little worried to invest around 5,000$CAD in a Pana G9 + good lenses if the M43 Pana lineup is ending...

Hi Adielle! Keep up the good work.

Ben of the North's gear list:Ben of the North's gear list
Canon G9 X II Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +3 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,511

Ben of the North wrote:

Panasonic has offered that they plan to stay in the m4/3 game. Now, the cynicals around here will assume this is more marketing spin (without any proof to the contrary).

However, what is the worst case? If there are no new models of Panasonic cameras to be forthcoming, simply take your Panny lenses and buy a new Olympus body. Your lenses will work just fine on an Oly body, and Olympus doesn’t seem to be dancing with any new mounts.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 4,327
Cetainly ...

is possible, but that to some extent is the same with any brand. It is a very good camera however and IMHO the best m43 camera available currently. Pricing is also pretty reasonable.

The question you should be asking is not whether the G9 is the last of the line, but what m43 has that apparently is missing in your Fuji gear. I have a G9 and it is a great camera, but really I think the Fuji products are as good overall.

So before spending a lot of money switching, what are you currently missing that Fuji cannot do?

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 1,898

Ben of the North wrote:

I never seen it that way, nor do I really care.  I'm sure Panasonic will try to one up Oly with another m43 flagship mirrorless.  But, If you are fearful, find courage.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 7,484

Ben of the North wrote:

Well, it’s Monday so perhaps this is the first one of the ‘m43 is dead threads’ of the week.

There is not real reason to think this. Two years ago when Panasonic as said to restructure the rumors were rabid about them getting out of the business but since then they launched several new great cameras and lenses,

Also, if they ever did then switching to Olympus for a future camera that takes the same lenses is doable.

I switched from Fuji, after four years, to m43 in late 2016 and never looked back 😃

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +9 more
srock Contributing Member • Posts: 568

Just switched to G9 from Pentax after a long run with them- I am delighted with the camera, the blazingly fast and accurate focus and the quality of the glass- An of course the size-Really did not like carrying heavy lenses and they were APSC not FF!

People keep emphasizing that the G9 is not that much smaller than DSLR and APSC  or FF bodies. True

But its the glass that drags me down all day. 4/3 is a godsend

Delighted with my purchase and dont expect Panasonic to change direction, but dont care.

I also have no idea what technology will surface in the next 3-5 years and whether I will want to change direction there- but that will have to wait until then

Steve

srock's gear list:srock's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +20 more
Ranlee Senior Member • Posts: 1,840

No one can predict the future but I don't believe leaving MFT is on Panasonics radar.  There were a few posters on this forum that following the FF announcement immediately started crying that Panasonic was abandoning MFT.  Some of them still do but I have to question their motives.

I think the G9 is the best camera available in MFT right now.  Admittedly I'm a little biased, I like the G9 so much I bought a second.  A GX9 has come out since the G9, the LX100 has been updated.  There is a new wide angle zoom on the horizon - these are good times my friend, for Panasonic and Olympus in MFT.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +4 more
ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 1,898

srock wrote:

Just switched to G9 from Pentax after a long run with them- I am delighted with the camera, the blazingly fast and accurate focus and the quality of the glass- An of course the size-Really did not like carrying heavy lenses and they were APSC not FF!

People keep emphasizing that the G9 is not that much smaller than DSLR and APSC or FF bodies. True

But its the glass that drags me down all day. 4/3 is a godsend

Delighted with my purchase and dont expect Panasonic to change direction, but dont care.

I also have no idea what technology will surface in the next 3-5 years and whether I will want to change direction there- but that will have to wait until then

Steve

I agree, the lenses was my concern.  I could never pay 2 grand for the 70-200 VRII not because of the price, but because of the weight and size.  Anyway, the G9 gets a lot of negativity from reviewers who only look at AF tracking as if it's the only type of AF.  And they fail to state that the G9 has one of the fastest if not the fastest and most accurate AF.  And can AF in low light -4 stops with a variety of large aperture lenses with speed and accuracy that phase type AF will fail at.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads