Nikon D500's Flash Control Setting grey-ed out

Started Feb 4, 2019 | Discussions
MyNameIsBoris New Member • Posts: 1
Nikon D500's Flash Control Setting grey-ed out

Hi everyone, my name is Boris. I'm a student plus semi-pro photographer, and recently I'm having some issues with my D500.

Currently I wanted to try stroboscopic flashlight photography, and I have a Godox tt685n, which I use it often for event photography. However, since I wanted to try stroboscopic flash photography, I need to set the flash control settings in my settings menu in my D500. But, the "Flash Control" setting is Grey-ed out, as I need to set the settings of front&rear curtain sync.

This problem really confused me a lot, hope there's someone can help me with this, and that will be very appreciated!

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 13,101
Unsupported flashgun?

MyNameIsBoris wrote:

Hi everyone, my name is Boris. I'm a student plus semi-pro photographer, and recently I'm having some issues with my D500.

Currently I wanted to try stroboscopic flashlight photography, and I have a Godox tt685n, which I use it often for event photography. However, since I wanted to try stroboscopic flash photography, I need to set the flash control settings in my settings menu in my D500. But, the "Flash Control" setting is Grey-ed out, as I need to set the settings of front&rear curtain sync.

This problem really confused me a lot, hope there's someone can help me with this, and that will be very appreciated!

I don't have a D500 but I think your problem could be that the D500 supports only a limited range of flashguns and yours is not one of them?

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,657
Re: Nikon D500's Flash Control Setting grey-ed out

MyNameIsBoris wrote:

The flash menu in the D500 is meant for their latest breed of wireless flashes. With anything else, including older Nikon branded flashes, there is an alternative method.

Hit the "i" button, then hit the flash button, a manual flash control menu will appear. You can then use the front or rear control wheel to make adjustments to compensation, curtain sync, etc.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,255
Re: Nikon D500's Flash Control Setting grey-ed out

MyNameIsBoris wrote:

With any system other than Canon, Godox gear does not do full two-way camera menu/flash communication. But you can change the settings directly on the flash itself, and that should work if the flash is on the camera hotshoe. (Off camera, you'd have to change the settings on the transmitter unit and the flash will display TTL, even if you have it in M on the transmitter).

To put the flash into 2nd curtain on my TT685-C, I simply make sure it's in "on-camera" sync mode with the lightning bolt button (green backlight, no radio antenna or lightning bolt icon, just eTTL, M, or MULTI [on the TT685-N, it'd be iTTL, M, or RPT]).

RPT is your stroboscopic setting (where the flash fires repeatedly for a single exposure). In on-camera mode, one of the "soft" buttons (the ones that can be relabelled on the LCD), should read SYNC. Pressing SYNC will cycle through HSS (lightning+H icon), and second curtain (three triangles with rightmost one colored dark).

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads