HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

Started Feb 3, 2019 | Discussions
Plakanina Senior Member • Posts: 1,182
HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
10

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da11-18/

interesting to see Pentax using the K5lls and KP on it's web site not sure which one they used for the comparison shots. But what a difference compared to the DA 12-24mm.

Have a good feeling there may be a stella ' flagship ' APS-C in the works.

 Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JGoodard
JGoodard Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

This lens is going to breath some new life into my old K5 II. Been waiting for this one. I'm even tempted to just throw in a new KP while I am it.

Going have to seriously save up for this.

 JGoodard's gear list:JGoodard's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,478
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
2

More at https://pentaxever.com/

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus Stylus 1s +32 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
3

Dfa*50mm and da*11-18mm are  on my radar.

Yes pentax do what you're  used to be excellent in!!The Star!!

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

 zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,478
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
1

zakaria wrote:

Dfa*50mm and da*11-18mm are on my radar.

Yes pentax do what you're used to be excellent in!!The Star!!

Count with *star* prices too.

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus Stylus 1s +32 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
1

It looks more massive that I thought it would be, another hiking lens then? 😁

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
bkpix
bkpix Contributing Member • Posts: 941
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

A groove for a lens heater. Anyone ever use such a thing? I've never heard of it.

 bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax KP +13 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

bkpix wrote:

A groove for a lens heater. Anyone ever use such a thing? I've never heard of it.

Where is the groove? Dew heaters are usually a neoprene velcro strap in various widths with heater elements built into it. That bulbous front element would be a nightmare for dew just like the Samyang 14mm f2.8.

Sounds and looks to me like a gimmick, you'd need to cover the whole barrel with a fairly powerful heater for astro on a cold night.

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,828
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
1

Oiche wrote:

bkpix wrote:

A groove for a lens heater. Anyone ever use such a thing? I've never heard of it.

Where is the groove? Dew heaters are usually a neoprene velcro strap in various widths with heater elements built into it. That bulbous front element would be a nightmare for dew just like the Samyang 14mm f2.8.

Sounds and looks to me like a gimmick, you'd need to cover the whole barrel with a fairly powerful heater for astro on a cold night.

Here's an image from Ricoh Imaging's DA* 11-18mm special site:

DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 with a cable-type lens heater installed

The lens' metallic build is designed for better heat transfer.

Source: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da11-18

Alex

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,636
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

Plakanina wrote:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da11-18/

interesting to see Pentax using the K5lls and KP on it's web site not sure which one they used for the comparison shots. But what a difference compared to the DA 12-24mm.

Have a good feeling there may be a stella ' flagship ' APS-C in the works.

Nice! And filter friendly too! That lens heater... I guess it's for time lapses?

I also apreciate the weight comparison between FF and aps-c for the f/2.8 zoom trio.

I wish I could just stick a teleconverter on the back of it and have a 16-27 f/4 for my K1ii!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian since 1997!
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 2,045
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
2

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Oiche wrote:

bkpix wrote:

A groove for a lens heater. Anyone ever use such a thing? I've never heard of it.

Where is the groove? Dew heaters are usually a neoprene velcro strap in various widths with heater elements built into it. That bulbous front element would be a nightmare for dew just like the Samyang 14mm f2.8.

Sounds and looks to me like a gimmick, you'd need to cover the whole barrel with a fairly powerful heater for astro on a cold night.

Here's an image from Ricoh Imaging's DA* 11-18mm special site:

DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 with a cable-type lens heater installed

The lens' metallic build is designed for better heat transfer.

Source: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da11-18

Alex

I would really be surprised if the above is sufficient, I doubt it very much, no insulation for starters. Look up dew heaters to see what is used by the astro community.

 Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,719
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
1

I'm almost sold on this lens even for my K-1II, its just its price that holds me back, clearly I don't need it but it would be a nice addition to my gear.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

gavinhw Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
1

bkpix wrote:

A groove for a lens heater. Anyone ever use such a thing? I've never heard of it.

Dew is the bane of many stargazers. Pretty much applies to astrophotography as well.

See this article:

Combatting Dew

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,828
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

Oiche wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Oiche wrote:

bkpix wrote:

A groove for a lens heater. Anyone ever use such a thing? I've never heard of it.

Where is the groove? Dew heaters are usually a neoprene velcro strap in various widths with heater elements built into it. That bulbous front element would be a nightmare for dew just like the Samyang 14mm f2.8.

Sounds and looks to me like a gimmick, you'd need to cover the whole barrel with a fairly powerful heater for astro on a cold night.

Here's an image from Ricoh Imaging's DA* 11-18mm special site:

DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 with a cable-type lens heater installed

The lens' metallic build is designed for better heat transfer.

Source: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/star_lens/special/sp_da11-18

Alex

I would really be surprised if the above is sufficient, I doubt it very much, no insulation for starters. Look up dew heaters to see what is used by the astro community.

I tend to believe it's not completely useless

There isn't room for much more, don't you think? I've seen those heaters on telescopes.

Alex

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
PRISCILLA TURNER
PRISCILLA TURNER Senior Member • Posts: 1,645
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

The 12-24 was always an excellent rectilinear lens, and filterable too, just not wide enough for some of my purposes. Extraordinary how much difference 1mm makes at the short end. Does anyone know what the true angle of view is at 11mm? Will it be a real rival to my trusty Sigma 10-20?

-- hide signature --
 PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list:PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list
Sigma DP1 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,211
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
5
  • Looks like another fine effort from Pentax. For those who find it expensive, well * lenses have always been on the high end, so it isn't a surprise. You should get what you pay for. Anybody had a look at the new Panasonic and prices?
  • I don't need this lens, but I like to own fine equipment. Let's see what the Pentax dslr stork brings....
 johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +17 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,828
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
1

johnami wrote:

+1

  • Looks like another fine effort from Pentax. For those who find it expensive, well * lenses have always been on the high end, so it isn't a surprise. You should get what you pay for. Anybody had a look at the new Panasonic and prices?

The Fuji 8-11 f/2.8 - wider and longer, thus not quite apples-to-apples but at least it's an APS-C lens - was announced for $2000. That's $600 more than the Pentax.

If you can find a better match - you will find out they're all pricey. There's only two choices, folks: either make the high-end lens and it will be pricey, or don't make it.

The price will eventually settle to a lower value. But it can't do that if the product doesn't exist

  • I don't need this lens, but I like to own fine equipment. Let's see what the Pentax dslr stork brings....

Same here (I've gone FF, so...)

Alex

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls

zakaria wrote:

Dfa*50mm and da*11-18mm are on my radar.

Yes pentax do what you're used to be excellent in!!The Star!!

Have  you looked at the new  Panasonic 50mm price !

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

 zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,828
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
1

zakaria wrote:

zakaria wrote:

Dfa*50mm and da*11-18mm are on my radar.

Yes pentax do what you're used to be excellent in!!The Star!!

Have you looked at the new Panasonic 50mm price !

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to it - is it a Leica, by chance?

"Our" D FA* 50mm is the least expensive in its class. Excluding the third party Sigma, of course.

Alex

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,505
Re: HD PENTAX- DA*11-18mm on K5lls
12

Great release by Pentax. This would have been my dream lens on the K5IIs five years ago. About the price: a lens of this type gives you several prime lenses in a single package. My Loxia 25/2 costs as much as this lens. You buy a lens like this to use a lot over many years. I.m.o. it is well worth the price. Then again, Pentaxians do tend to be cheap skaters, oblivious to the added value of products like this

Chris

 Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads