Z6 Shutter Readout Speeds in Photo and Video

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
NAG3LT
NAG3LT Forum Member • Posts: 61
Z6 Shutter Readout Speeds in Photo and Video

I've recently received my Z6 and decided to test how fast its shutter operates in different modes. I've used 24-70 f/4S lens, which was not optimal for the task, but I think the results are still close enough. I've used a signal generator generating sine wave at over 100 kHz and an analogue oscilloscope, based on method used by Jim Kasson.

Z6 readout times in photos

In photo modes across the whole FX frame I've measured:

• Mechanical: 1/340 s
  • Silent 14-bit: 1/20 s
  • Silent 12-bit or JPEG only: 1/38 s

Using DX 1.5x or other crop modes increases speeds in accordance with smaller frame height. The values for electronic shutter readouts are similar to ones I've seen in Jim Kasson's testing and the ones mentioned in DPR's review .

Z6 readout times in video

In video modes:

• 4K (FX): 1/45 s
  • 4K and 1080p (DX, 1.5x crop): 1/68 s
  • 1080p 100/120 FPS and slow-mo (FX): 1/190 s
  • 1080p 60/50/30/25/24 FPS (FX): 1/130 s

4K FX video result corresponds to reading 16:9 part of a whole sensor at 12-bit precision (1.185x vertical only crop). The readout time improvement going to 4K DX corresponds to extra 1.5x crop on top of that. 1080p DX on Z6 has the same readout performance as 4K DX.
On Z6, 1080p FX video seems to have the fastest readouts. 1080p 100+ FPS video is only available in FX mode.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,087
Re: Z6 Shutter Readout Speeds in Photo and Video

NAG3LT wrote:

In video modes:

• 4K (FX): 1/45 s
  • 4K and 1080p (DX, 1.5x crop): 1/68 s
  • 1080p 100/120 FPS and slow-mo (FX): 1/190 s
  • 1080p 60/50/30/25/24 FPS (FX): 1/130 s

4K FX video result corresponds to reading 16:9 part of a whole sensor at 12-bit precision (1.185x vertical only crop). The readout time improvement going to 4K DX corresponds to extra 1.5x crop on top of that. 1080p DX on Z6 has the same readout performance as 4K DX.
On Z6, 1080p FX video seems to have the fastest readouts. 1080p 100+ FPS video is only available in FX mode.

Did you check all of the framerate modes individually? Readout is obviously different than lag, but here are the numbers I got for lag / latency times:

I may be wrong; but to me, this suggests they may also have different readout speeds in the different fps modes.

NAG3LT
OP NAG3LT Forum Member • Posts: 61

I have recorded individual measurements at different FPS and took a quick look at slopes. Based on that I've only did a full data analysis on one FPS value in each group that had same looking slopes.

When I get back to my PC, I'll check them again more precisely to check if I missed any tiny differences.

NAG3LT
OP NAG3LT Forum Member • Posts: 61

beatboxa wrote:

Did you check all of the framerate modes individually? Readout is obviously different than lag, but here are the numbers I got for lag / latency times:

I've checked my notes and looks like I skipped recording at 60p as it didn't look different on camera's LCD from 50p to me at the time. Your results are interesting, I might try doing display lag measurement as well, and hopefully will have time to do readout measurements of all FPS settings in the near future.

beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,087

NAG3LT wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

I've checked my notes and looks like I skipped recording at 60p as it didn't look different on camera's LCD from 50p to me at the time. Your results are interesting, I might try doing display lag measurement as well, and hopefully will have time to do readout measurements of all FPS settings in the near future.

Thanks!  I'd be interested to see your results.

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,649

Glad to see that approach is working for you.

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads