Anyone purchased from Tristate Camera?

Started Jan 15, 2019 | Discussions
theopwildebeest
theopwildebeest Regular Member • Posts: 225
Anyone purchased from Tristate Camera?

I am looking to purchase a Canon EOS M100 for work. Unfortunately I missed out on the recent $399 sale. Looking around the internet I found them for sale at Tristate Camera for $349.

My questions are:

1) Anyone purchased from Tristate Camera before. I have seen very mixed reviews on the web. They have a 9.3/10 on Reseller Rating but a 2/5 on Yelp (although way fewer postings on Yelp than on Reseller)?

2) I called and they were upfront regarding the fact that it is grey market without manufacturer warranty. They offer their own 1 year warranty. I have never had a camera fail on me without incurring physical damage  and never within the first year of ownership, but this would not be an ideal place to start.

3) Will Canon repair grey market cameras even if they charge for doing it? I have been told that Nikon does not, period.

Many thanks for your time and help.

theopwildebeest's gear list:theopwildebeest's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24-50mm F4-6.3 +2 more
Canon EOS M100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,411
Re: Anyone purchased from Tristate Camera?

theopwildebeest wrote:

I am looking to purchase a Canon EOS M100 for work. Unfortunately I missed out on the recent $399 sale. Looking around the internet I found them for sale at Tristate Camera for $349.

My questions are:

1) Anyone purchased from Tristate Camera before. I have seen very mixed reviews on the web. They have a 9.3/10 on Reseller Rating but a 2/5 on Yelp (although way fewer postings on Yelp than on Reseller)?

2) I called and they were upfront regarding the fact that it is grey market without manufacturer warranty. They offer their own 1 year warranty. I have never had a camera fail on me without incurring physical damage and never within the first year of ownership, but this would not be an ideal place to start.

3) Will Canon repair grey market cameras even if they charge for doing it? I have been told that Nikon does not, period.

Have you considered getting a refurbished unit directly from Canon?  They have a kit with a 15-45mm lens for $480, comes with a 1-year Canon warranty.

Mark

Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 8,483

Is buying from a retailer that often gets bad reviews worth risking to save $50?

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +18 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,411

Mark B. wrote:

theopwildebeest wrote:

My questions are:

2) I called and they were upfront regarding the fact that it is grey market without manufacturer warranty. They offer their own 1 year warranty. I have never had a camera fail on me without incurring physical damage and never within the first year of ownership, but this would not be an ideal place to start.

Have you considered getting a refurbished unit directly from Canon? They have a kit with a 15-45mm lens for $480, comes with a 1-year Canon warranty.

Mark

I withdraw my suggestion for the Canon refurb.  B&H is selling the same kit - but brand new - for $30 less (not grey market).

Mark

Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,626
Re: From my personal experience: Stay away. nt

No text.

Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
theopwildebeest
OP theopwildebeest Regular Member • Posts: 225

Thank you to everyone who answered. Appreciate the information. Agreed.

I decided against the purchase and taking the advice, I found a used one on B&H in "open box" condition with a full warranty for less than the previously advertised $399 sales price.

theopwildebeest's gear list:theopwildebeest's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24-50mm F4-6.3 +2 more
teejaywhy
teejaywhy Regular Member • Posts: 406

theopwildebeest wrote:

... Tristate Camera ...

Curious, I checked them out.

WORST WEBSITE EVER

teejaywhy's gear list:teejaywhy's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic G85 Olympus E-M1 III
tylersnead New Member • Posts: 1

Please do not order from this company. I recently tried to get a camera just like anyone else who lands on their website. I placed my order , but shortly after I checked out all of the reviews and I came to find out that this company was a “grey market” company , which means it’s a hit or a miss when it comes to your product. I don’t like a “hit or a miss” when I’m spending almost $500 on a product , I want a guarantee I’m getting what I ordered. I called the company back and told them to cancel my order out of fear , and the customer service rep questioned me and said “may I ask why ? ” I didn’t give him a reason , because I didn’t feel the need too , just cancel it. He said he “cancelled” the order , but I still had to make sure I wasn’t being scammed so I quickly transferred the money from my bank account to my mother’s bank account. Apparently I left a $1 in my account and once I went back to check my account the dollar was taken by TRI STATE CAMERA. Lol. These fools really tried to take my money after I got off the phone with them no later than 15 minutes to cancel my order. I’m done with these gray market/black market schemes. Just pay full price for the stuff you wanna get. Your guaranteed quality and if something were to happen with your order they are always obligated to give a refund or resend another item.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads