Pics not saved onto SD card...

Started Jan 15, 2019 | Questions
Derek49 Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Pics not saved onto SD card...

So....

I took my X-T10 for walk yesterday to take photos of any wind damage to our allotment.

There was a Sandisk Extreme 32 GB card in the camera, the camera fired OK and each photo was confirmed by the image preview display, BUT...none of the pictures were saved to the card (both JPEG and RAW)

I took some more pics at home on the same card and and all seem to be working fine.

There is a gap in the file numbers - see pic. File nos. 1795-1810 are the missing files 1811 and after that are the photos I took to test the card.

Just curious to know what I have done to cause this.......?

Thanks

Derek49's gear list:Derek49's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Fujifilm FinePix F450 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm X10 +29 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,704
Re: Pics not saved onto SD card...

If you have a PC with an SD card slot, run the Windows utility program chkdsk on it. chkdsk /? will display a list of its options. If chkdsk finds a problem and the missing files are important enough to you, there are programs out there to recover all or many of the files.

OP Derek49 Contributing Member • Posts: 556

Charles2 wrote:

If you have a PC with an SD card slot, run the Windows utility program chkdsk on it. chkdsk /? will display a list of its options. If chkdsk finds a problem and the missing files are important enough to you, there are programs out there to recover all or many of the files.

Thanks for your reply. Tried Chkdsk and a file recovery program (Recuva) but neither found the missing files.

Derek49's gear list:Derek49's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Fujifilm FinePix F450 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm X10 +29 more
laddsmith Regular Member • Posts: 395

Derek49 wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Tried Chkdsk and a file recovery program (Recuva) but neither found the missing files.

Bad you lost the images and could not recover, but the critical unanswered question is what caused this.  Worked before and after apparently.  Someone else must have had this occur.  Thankfully, I have not.

-- hide signature --

Ladd Smith

laddsmith's gear list:laddsmith's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Darren Cambridge New Member • Posts: 1

I just had the exact same problem, for the second time. No clear pattern that I can find that links the two incidents. Several times during the session, after the initial preview disappeared from the screen, I went back and looked again at the shot successfully. Can anyone explain why it a bad assumption that being able to do so indicated the image has been saved to the card? It’s really unnerving to have no indication that images weren’t being recorded during the shoot.

marbles504 Regular Member • Posts: 136

You need to get another SD card to eliminate the possibility of a bad SD card. Bad SD cards behave differently depending on how it goes bad, and this is just one kind of symptom. Likely it does write the photo to the card successfully, but after a few minutes the sectors are probably marked bad for whatever reason and are written out of the file system. You may even notice that the size of your SD card is slowing shrinking if you fill it up on a regular basis.

Edit: Also, be wary when chkdsk or any 'file recovery program' tells you everything is OK.  Most of the time it only means it couldn't find any problems - your SD card could (and is very likely to be) still be bad.

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 12,880

Maybe you have a function button set up to change to raw when you press it and change back to JPG when you press it again.

Are there any raw files (.RAF extensions) on the card?  Your screenshot showed only JPG files.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +14 more
rla1022 Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Are you sure that it did not create a new folder? I have seen it create a new folder in the DCIM directory.

I maybe wrong on this, but i thought CHKDSK is only usable on non solid state devices (traditionally spinning disks)

R

rla1022's gear list:rla1022's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX9 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,596

Darren Cambridge wrote:

I just had the exact same problem, for the second time. No clear pattern that I can find that links the two incidents. Several times during the session, after the initial preview disappeared from the screen, I went back and looked again at the shot successfully. Can anyone explain why it a bad assumption that being able to do so indicated the image has been saved to the card? It’s really unnerving to have no indication that images weren’t being recorded during the shoot.

Just to make sure.

If you put the card in a card reader on your PC, do you see something like this in Explorer:

K:\DCIM\110_FUJI

(K being the drive letter your PC assigns to the reader, 110 the folder the camera creates - in my case it is the 11th folder of 999 images). Photos should be in that last folder

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,942

I actually had a similar problem last weekend, lost about 10-15 shots... No gap in the file name though... But a gap in the photos.

I later got a "read error" as well on the card when trying to look at some a few days later in camera.

Faulty card, time to replace?

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +3 more
Tom Schum

jjz2 wrote:

I actually had a similar problem last weekend, lost about 10-15 shots... No gap in the file name though... But a gap in the photos.

I later got a "read error" as well on the card when trying to look at some a few days later in camera.

I wouldn't mess around.  I'd immediately replace the card.

Could be dirty contacts on the card, or inside the card socket in the camera.  If you aren't sure, its best to replace the card.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +14 more
trytryjohn New Member • Posts: 2

jjz2 wrote:

I encountered the same issue 3 times in the past few months, twice with X-Pro3, once with X-T3… I shot a bunch of photos, when I took the SD card out and put to the computer, the recent photos disappeared. I have bought new SD cards to verify if it is the card problem or camera problem – but the issue still happens, and that is really frustrating and infuriating.

I am thinking to switch to other camera brands because of this issue.

trytryjohn's gear list:trytryjohn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +6 more
Samuraidog Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

trytryjohn wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

I encountered the same issue 3 times in the past few months, twice with X-Pro3, once with X-T3… I shot a bunch of photos, when I took the SD card out and put to the computer, the recent photos disappeared. I have bought new SD cards to verify if it is the card problem or camera problem – but the issue still happens, and that is really frustrating and infuriating.

I am thinking to switch to other camera brands because of this issue.

Wow. That is interesting. Did you have two SD cards in the XT3 setup to save the pictures simultaneously to both cards? If so, were the pictures missing on the second card as well?

Samuraidog's gear list:Samuraidog's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Steve Minnick New Member • Posts: 1

I've encountered the same problem...it seems to happen when I shoot video on the same card but not sure.  I can see all the files when the card is in the camera...but when I try to import them into my iMac they don't show up (using the sd card slot).  No clue what is happening....

anybody got any thoughts?

Tom Schum

Steve Minnick wrote:

I've encountered the same problem...it seems to happen when I shoot video on the same card but not sure. I can see all the files when the card is in the camera...but when I try to import them into my iMac they don't show up (using the sd card slot). No clue what is happening....

anybody got any thoughts?

Thought number one:

I have a X-T3, and it uses two SD cards.  It is possible to put the stills on one SD card and the video on the other SD card.  So, if you have a Fuji camera that uses two SD slots, the camera might be "helping" by screwing up all your expectations.  I hate that.  For example if I remove the first SD card, and turn the camera on, it switches cards automatically and then when I put card number one back in and shoot, I can't find my stills.

Thought number two:

Probably not a great idea, but maybe the iMac SD slot is a little flaky.

Does your iMac have a USB port? Could you try a SD card reader?

I used a MacBook Pro 13" a few years ago, don't remember having any problems.

Now that I have a laptop PC, I have to use a SD card reader because the built-in SD card reader slot doesn't work quite right.

I've been using an iogear reader.

Here is a newer model that might work for you:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1406887-REG/iogear_gfr3c12_usb_c_duo_card_reader_writer.html

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Mike R McNally New Member • Posts: 2

marbles504 wrote:

You need to get another SD card to eliminate the possibility of a bad SD card. Bad SD cards behave differently depending on how it goes bad, and this is just one kind of symptom. Likely it does write the photo to the card successfully, but after a few minutes the sectors are probably marked bad for whatever reason and are written out of the file system. You may even notice that the size of your SD card is slowing shrinking if you fill it up on a regular basis.

Edit: Also, be wary when chkdsk or any 'file recovery program' tells you everything is OK. Most of the time it only means it couldn't find any problems - your SD card could (and is very likely to be) still be bad.

I'm having the exact same thing happen to me with a Lexar card on a Fuji XE3. I don't thik it's a gradual problem because I can put the card back in the camera and see all the saved images. When I mount the card on Linux (something I've been doing for well over a decade) I see nothing from the last shot. It's bizarre.

Mike R McNally New Member • Posts: 2

I think it was some file system corruption issue, probably Linux's fault. The card works again now. I of course don't trust it now so I'll order a new one.

baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 17,251

The first thing I would do is format that Sd card in the camera and retry, I suspect the file allocation table was defective.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
john_ts Junior Member • Posts: 41

Just to describe my experience which had fortunately happy end. Yesterday i took 250 pics, all displayed on my X-T3 screen. When back home only 10% was in the card! I went crazy, although most were family pics and only 20-30 from my mountain trecking i could not believe that images were lost because of any hardware issue. It was also the worrying though this could be something permanent that could for any reason require the super frustrating process of trying all possible stuff yourself and then getting desperate and sending the cam for repair...

After veryfiing pics were lost, i did a quick search for "X-t3 images not saved on SD card" if i recall well. I quickly found a program that promised to scan the card and retrieve lost images. After checking viruses i installed it and scanned. In 15 minutes it told me that it could retrieve 1800 RAF files. I said ok, let's do it. And then my browser opened and asked me to pay 40 euros to get a licence. Without a preview i did not know if my files were among those this program promised to bring back to life.

Usually i am very hesitant and do an extensive research before moving on. But as this was the first time in my 16 years of digital photo experience (i had lost images before but that was long time ago with film or positives) of losing images, i said ok let's go for it betting this would be a 70% waste of money. Fortunately, it worked, it brought back pics from summer, deleted long way ago, and also the ones i shot yesterday. It was a very pleasant experience, although i had already lost 3 hours of my time. Getting back my pics was overall great.

Some thoughs

1. Still, dont know what caused the issue and i am really nervous for next time i will be on the field, i need to think how to avoid any possible repeat. I would go for backing up all images on the 2nd SD card, which means i lose the benefit of having some extra space if needed. I also replaced the adapter of my mini SD card with a new one i had spare from older cards. Maybe it was an issue of dirty connectors so instead of trying to clean i simply used a new adapter. 
  2. This recover program costs 40 euros and it is on a yearly subscription basis. Hope i wont need it again so this is most likely a one time payment.
  3. It is slow and the filenames retrieved do not correspond to the ones created by the camera. Miron issue for me
  4. If you need to recover let's say 500 pics out of the 2000 found from this program, you will have to select them either one by one or all together. Both ways are time consuming but again, having your lost pics back justifies time lost. 
Tom Schum

john_ts wrote:

Just to describe my experience which had fortunately happy end. Yesterday i took 250 pics, all displayed on my X-T3 screen. When back home only 10% was in the card! I went crazy, although most were family pics and only 20-30 from my mountain trecking i could not believe that images were lost because of any hardware issue. It was also the worrying though this could be something permanent that could for any reason require the super frustrating process of trying all possible stuff yourself and then getting desperate and sending the cam for repair...

After veryfiing pics were lost, i did a quick search for "X-t3 images not saved on SD card" if i recall well. I quickly found a program that promised to scan the card and retrieve lost images. After checking viruses i installed it and scanned. In 15 minutes it told me that it could retrieve 1800 RAF files. I said ok, let's do it. And then my browser opened and asked me to pay 40 euros to get a licence. Without a preview i did not know if my files were among those this program promised to bring back to life.

Usually i am very hesitant and do an extensive research before moving on. But as this was the first time in my 16 years of digital photo experience (i had lost images before but that was long time ago with film or positives) of losing images, i said ok let's go for it betting this would be a 70% waste of money. Fortunately, it worked, it brought back pics from summer, deleted long way ago, and also the ones i shot yesterday. It was a very pleasant experience, although i had already lost 3 hours of my time. Getting back my pics was overall great.

Some thoughs

1. Still, dont know what caused the issue and i am really nervous for next time i will be on the field, i need to think how to avoid any possible repeat. I would go for backing up all images on the 2nd SD card, which means i lose the benefit of having some extra space if needed. I also replaced the adapter of my mini SD card with a new one i had spare from older cards. Maybe it was an issue of dirty connectors so instead of trying to clean i simply used a new adapter.
  2. This recover program costs 40 euros and it is on a yearly subscription basis. Hope i wont need it again so this is most likely a one time payment.
  3. It is slow and the filenames retrieved do not correspond to the ones created by the camera. Miron issue for me
  4. If you need to recover let's say 500 pics out of the 2000 found from this program, you will have to select them either one by one or all together. Both ways are time consuming but again, having your lost pics back justifies time lost.

You've had a terrible experience!

I'm glad you found a way to get back the images.

Are you using a SD card that is on the recommended Fuji list for the X-T3? Reference to this webpage is on page 38 of the X-T3 manual. The cautions here in the manual are exhaustive.

Here is a screenshot of the webpage:

I am using Extreme Pro UHS-II in both slots of my X-T3 and have never had a problem such as you describe.

The exact type I bought is no longer made but this one is the same price and should work as well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275618-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpk_032g_ancin_extreme_pro_uhs_ii_32gb.html

Two of these are $108. I really did not like the idea of spending so much money on storage but I didn't want to worry about experiences such as lost images.

I tried oddball storage options in previous cameras and had weird problems. So, these days I just stick to the manufacturer's recommendations. All I had to do with my SD cards since I started using them 2 years ago was to clean the contacts with a Q-tip and a drop of isopropyl alcohol.

Another thing you mention is the use of a micro SD card in an adapter. This means lots more contacts to get intermittent and lots more chances for trouble.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads