Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 24,978
Re: The biggest mystery of the E-M1X

briantrying wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

sunjester wrote:

briantrying wrote:

sunjester wrote:

The biggest mystery to me is why would they put the on off switch on the left side of the camera?

So that it's the same as my em 1 mk2?

Brian

Interesting so it takes two hands to start your camera?

maybe the "notch" facilitates single handed camera turning on?

Yes, so what! I've always used two hands for security. Not dropped a camera yet (only been shooting for fifty odd years though).

Brian

it was a bit of humour....but oh well, if the on off thingy is by the shutter then you can just flick it on as you raise the camera to your eye, they used to have it near the right thumb grip on some of the Dslrs...seemed common sense to me....but you know retro

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,131

Terrible Photographer wrote:

What the hell is the point of this notch? Give a place for your pinky to dangle from? Let's be honest, it's a weird design decision.

I guess they didn't want the battery 'door/flap' to be larger than necessary so they smooth down the 'portrait grip' before it reached the battery door.

See the leaked image below to see the E-M1X and where the batteries go.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-next-leaked-e-m1x-image/

M.D.N. Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Are photographers blind?

Could it be a port for tethering?  It's location would allow full articulation of the viewing screen.

-- hide signature --

Mike
--
The scientific nature of the ordinary man, is to go out and do the best that he can. - John Prine

M.D.N.'s gear list:M.D.N.'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 7,274
Re: Are photographers blind?

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Tommi K1 wrote:

The mystery really is not how to get two batteries in, but how to operate the camera while other battery is out and swapped to a new one?

maybe a bigger battery might be made available, or you can choose which of the individual batteries is used first so you can swap out while the camera is on

The possibility to swap batteries while in use requires there is no slide or any way to block access to battery #1 that requires to remove battery #2 too, that is keeping power on.

In this case change to choose which goes first is useless as by default camera has already one and second is extra, so extra should always go first.

briantrying Regular Member • Posts: 235

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

briantrying wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

sunjester wrote:

briantrying wrote:

sunjester wrote:

The biggest mystery to me is why would they put the on off switch on the left side of the camera?

Brian

Yes, so what! I've always used two hands for security. Not dropped a camera yet (only been shooting for fifty odd years though).

Brian

it was a bit of humour....but oh well, if the on off thingy is by the shutter then you can just flick it on as you raise the camera to your eye, they used to have it near the right thumb grip on some of the Dslrs...seemed common sense to me....but you know retro

If you want a humorous answer perhaps you should add an emoji after the question. 😉 As I said I used Pentax for years with the on-off switch round the release, having transitioned to Olympus I don't miss it.

Brian

sunjester
sunjester Senior Member • Posts: 1,573

MEDISN wrote:

sunjester wrote:

Like Canon? You can always re-assign it to the Fn lever if you prefer single-handed operation.

Not sure why I would care what Canon does. Besides DSLRs you can leave on all the time.

-- hide signature --

Starter astrophotographer

sunjester's gear list:sunjester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D7500 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 +7 more
Wu Jiaqiu

briantrying wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

briantrying wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

sunjester wrote:

briantrying wrote:

sunjester wrote:

Brian

Brian

If you want a humorous answer perhaps you should add an emoji after the question. 😉 As I said I used Pentax for years with the on-off switch round the release, having transitioned to Olympus I don't miss it.

Brian

well i like it on the right (non humorous) it's ok on the left but not the best place for it (non humorous) we are all different when it comes to ergonomics but some things just seem to make sense (non humorous)

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,300

sunjester wrote:

At least they moved the lever so you can use it with your left hand thumb without reaching over the camera.  Personally I like it on the left, since I use it far less than all the controls on the right side.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
sunjester
sunjester Senior Member • Posts: 1,573

drj3 wrote:

sunjester wrote:

At least they moved the lever so you can use it with your left hand thumb without reaching over the camera. Personally I like it on the left, since I use it far less than all the controls on the right side.

Very interesting. I just can't see myself not supporting large and heavy lenses when operating the camera. Up until the 150-400 comes out there really are no large heavy lenses so I can see how one could get used to it.

My G85 with the 100-400 pl lens hangs by a shoulder strap. It gets turned on while I am bringing it up without any thought or removing my eyes from the target.

My DSLR is the same way if I am low on the battery. One smooth operation though most of the time the DSLR just stays on.

-- hide signature --

Starter astrophotographer

sunjester's gear list:sunjester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D7500 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 +7 more
NovakM Regular Member • Posts: 278
So obvious...

It's for a battery grip....

😉

NovakM's gear list:NovakM's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II

sunjester wrote:

briantrying wrote:

sunjester wrote:

Brian

It takes two hands to support the camera, to focus the camera, to zoom the camera, to operate the camera?

Do you really switch camera On/Off all the time between every shot? Do you really use it like CIPA tests it?

It is a second nature to grab the camera and turn it on. It is powered On before it is raised on the eye because it is done swiftly and with one motion. It is like skeet shooting, you hold your rifle, you spot the target flying and BANG. You have hit the target without thinking.

The same thing is with pistols, assault rifles etc. You have honed the skill to handle the camera without thinking.

E-M1 has best On/Off switch ever made. You don't accidentally turn it off or off. You find it eyes closed (or pitch black situation). It doesn't require any extra effort with gloves on hands etc. Camera just turns On/Off even when one handling them.

sunjester wrote:

I don't remember any of my film cameras with the film advance lever on the left side of the camera.

I don't remember any of digital cameras requiring to advance anything to prepare next exposure....

With Olympus, Maitani knew that you anyways use two hands to operate a tiny camera, it is better to share the functions to the two hands than keep for one.

Left hand:

• Exposure metering On/Off
  • F-stop adjustment
  • Shutter Speed Adjustment
  • Focusing

And notice how the three rings are operated:

• Aperture ring counter-clockwise = smaller F-stop = more light
  • Shutter Speed ring counter-clockwise = Faster shutter speed = Less light
  • Focus ring counter-clockwise = focus away = to infinity

You could set your exposure right, and then if you wanted to adjust the F-stop or shutter speed, you rotate the rings on the same direction same amount of clicks and you had same exposure all the time. If you wanted to increase or lower exposure, you rotate either one to opposite side.

In the viewfinder you have on the left side a needle, Up is over exposure, down is under exposure. Now when you are holding the camera and you see the needle up, you know you need to exposure less, so what do you do? You turn aperture ring to clock-wise to bring the needle down. If the needle was down as underexposure? You turned aperture ring to left. You did the exposure adjustment with the F-stop and on the same direction as the needle turned. You didn't touch the shutter speed than as a secondary choice, first set the F-stop and then the shutter speed.

Right hand:

• ASA/ISO film value knob (film speed) and its release button (small silver one).
  • Shutter Release button
  • Film advance lever
  • Shutter Release Timer lever
  • Mirror Release knob
  • Film Reverse Release knob

Why didn't Maitani set the power switch for exposure meter on the right side? Because it was faster on the left side. It was better protected and you don't accidentally turn it Off/On, but you did it quickly and easily even with one hand.

olyham Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: So obvious...

NovakM wrote:

😉

Spot on I wandered how much crap we would get through to get a realistic reponse

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,912
Placement of the on/off switch

sunjester wrote:

I worked that out when I bought the G9 with battery pack - here the on/off swtch is very handily placed in front of the Landscape mode shutter button but completely remote and inaccessible when the camera is used in Portrait mode grip.

Placing the on/off switch on the left of the camera body just makes it a little bit awkward in both grip orientations instead of ideal/stupid as it is on the G9.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,704
Re: Placement of the on/off switch

Tom Caldwell wrote:

sunjester wrote:

I worked that out when I bought the G9 with battery pack - here the on/off swtch is very handily placed in front of the Landscape mode shutter button but completely remote and inaccessible when the camera is used in Portrait mode grip.

Placing the on/off switch on the left of the camera body just makes it a little bit awkward in both grip orientations instead of ideal/stupid as it is on the G9.

The simple solution is two on-off switches

-- hide signature --

Ride easy, William.
Bob

Wu Jiaqiu

bobn2 wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

sunjester wrote:

The simple solution is two on-off switches

good idea that...but....and it's a big but.........why is there no notch bottom left?

James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 5,510
Re: So obvious...

NovakM wrote:

😉

And we have a winner

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” John Adams

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,912

Yes I know that (sigh).  I presume Japanese tech has obviously overcome which on/off switch carries priority - one off = all off?  easy ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

iano Senior Member • Posts: 1,787
Re: Hang on....

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Well I would admit that the grip might be a little on the long side in portrait mode and the pinkie might be more comfortable with the cut-away - but the poor sod who uses landscape mode frequently is not similarly looked after.

But it may be related to the battery size and its enclosure as perhaps Olympus wished to keep the body size as small as possible ...

Hang on.... the E-M1X is the result of design to keep the body size as small as possible?

iano's gear list:iano's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,704

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Yes I know that (sigh). I presume Japanese tech has obviously overcome which on/off switch carries priority - one off = all off? easy ....

Well in fact the grip switch is just a shutter lock. With a DSLR you tend to keep them switched on while on a shoot, since they hardly consume any power on standby.

-- hide signature --

Ride easy, William.
Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads