Stacking Software for Mac

Started Jan 14, 2019 | Discussions
Rockinrod New Member • Posts: 1
Stacking Software for Mac

I'm completely new to astrophotography. Been around manual photography since the 70's, and I do amateur astronomy, just never the photography part of it.

I have a MacBook Pro and need a software which I can learn on where I can improve resolution, and reduce noise. Anyone have a suggestion, and perhaps can send me a link where one can download a software for this?

I have a program called Lynkeos, but I'm not too thrilled with it. Not seeing good results.

Thank you,

Rockinrod

moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Re: Stacking Software for Mac

I had good initial results with SiriL. Still a beginner myself.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +18 more
W5JCK
W5JCK Veteran Member • Posts: 4,002

If you do any stacking and aligning of multiple images, then Nebulosity works well, but it costs $95.

You can also use Wine to "bottle" some Windows apps and then run them under Mac OS, for now. But there are limitations and I think Wine currently only supports 32-bit apps so once Apple locks out 32-bit apps that method won't work. Apple already has said they will block 32-bit apps in the future and only allow 64-bit apps. So unless Wine updates to 64-bit, we will be out of luck. I personally use a Wine bottled version of DeepSkyStacker (DSS) for Win on my MBP. In the past I used an older Windows computer to run DSS to stack and align images, then copied them over to my MBP to post process.

As far a general post processing, I use Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC. Probably 90% or more of my post processing is done with them. You can substitute any good app or app suite that has similar functionality. You really don't need a special app to do most of the post processing. You do need a good special stacking and alignment app if you want to save time, but even that can be done in apps like PS and LR, albeit it is typically labor intensive.

-- hide signature --
 W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +11 more
Guido FORRIER Senior Member • Posts: 1,842

SIRIL works wel . i combine SIRIL with APP but have to wait for better weather . since i started with Astrophotography clear skies were mostly absent .

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/a-dslr-data-calibration-workflow/

http://free-astro.org/index.php?title=Siril

Guido

-- hide signature --

retired pro

turfpit New Member • Posts: 7

Nebulosity can run as a trial version - it writes hyphens over the image.  At least you could find out if it fulfils your requirement before purchase.

Dave

Rick_in_madison Regular Member • Posts: 224

I like SiriL, but have had some trouble getting into a consistent workflow with it that delivers the images I want. Deep Sky Stacker often gives pretty good results, and is easier to run if you use its defaults. I have VMWare Fusion on my Mac for work, so running Windows is no biggie for me. I would definitely work harder at SiriL if that were not the case.

If your images are relatively free of artifacts like jiggled stars, satellites, and aircraft, Photoshop can do arithmetic-mean stacking that reduces noise quite effectively. A more sophisticated algorithm that does mean-stacking with outlier rejection is very useful to leverage a higher percentage of your sub-exposures, though.

-- hide signature --
jforkner
jforkner Senior Member • Posts: 1,208
 jforkner's gear list:jforkner's gear list
Olympus E-620 Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Rutgerbus Senior Member • Posts: 2,302

There are several programs capable of stacking images on MacOS

Astro Pixel Processor, it's intuitive and better to understand/learn then Pixinsight for instance. It doesn't have the fancy feautures that PI has yet since an under development program. (Since it is being developped by just one guy, developemet takes a while....already waiting more then a year for the program to read Sony RAW files ) It will set you back €175 for a premium account....but you can also download a 30 day free trial.

Pixinsight: Wonderfull piece of software, but it has it's price. You need to be willing to really dig into the online tutorials in order to process your first image. It's not as intuitive as Astro Pixel Processor, but it has more tricks up its sleeve.

Starry Landscape Stacker is a nice program if you do astrophotography with some terestial objects in the foreground. Normally it will swallow about 15 images...after that, it tends to give problems when trying to stack.

Deep Sky Stacker....nice but old software. Easy to understand and it does have a Comet stack mode (something APP is missing yet) It needs Wineskin to run on Mac....but I did not have good experience with the Winskinned DSS on my Mac...it always stalled somewhere during the process.

SIRIL: Disigned for Linux but I can't figure out how the program exactly works. There must be some online tutorial for it, but until now I didn't find it yet (also because I'm using APP)

Fitswork: Works under Winskin just like DSS, but again, not really well documented and a bit hard to understand. It's a German product.

Photoshop: Photoshop can be used to stack and align images as well. Not many people now it can, but there are several online video's/tutorials that describe how it's done. I used it quit alot with some good results. Although with wider views (e.g. <14mm) you sometimes get strange distortion to the corners where the program can't render and align the images very good.

So basically there are a bunch of programs that work on MacOS albeit with or without the use of Whineskin. I would reconment to go for a 30 day trial of Astro Pixel Processor since in the end that is what you are after anyway

Good luck.

Rutger

-- hide signature --

www.rutgerbus.nl
Photographic Moments
A photon only stops "existing" when it is captured by your sensor.

Rutgerbus's gear list:Rutgerbus's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
W5JCK
W5JCK Veteran Member • Posts: 4,002

Rutgerbus wrote:

There are several programs capable of stacking images on MacOS

Astro Pixel Processor, it's intuitive and better to understand/learn then Pixinsight for instance. It doesn't have the fancy feautures that PI has yet since an under development program. (Since it is being developped by just one guy, developemet takes a while....already waiting more then a year for the program to read Sony RAW files ) It will set you back €175 for a premium account....but you can also download a 30 day free trial.

Pixinsight: Wonderfull piece of software, but it has it's price. You need to be willing to really dig into the online tutorials in order to process your first image. It's not as intuitive as Astro Pixel Processor, but it has more tricks up its sleeve.

Starry Landscape Stacker is a nice program if you do astrophotography with some terestial objects in the foreground. Normally it will swallow about 15 images...after that, it tends to give problems when trying to stack.

Deep Sky Stacker....nice but old software. Easy to understand and it does have a Comet stack mode (something APP is missing yet) It needs Wineskin to run on Mac....but I did not have good experience with the Winskinned DSS on my Mac...it always stalled somewhere during the process.

SIRIL: Disigned for Linux but I can't figure out how the program exactly works. There must be some online tutorial for it, but until now I didn't find it yet (also because I'm using APP)

Fitswork: Works under Winskin just like DSS, but again, not really well documented and a bit hard to understand. It's a German product.

Photoshop: Photoshop can be used to stack and align images as well. Not many people now it can, but there are several online video's/tutorials that describe how it's done. I used it quit alot with some good results. Although with wider views (e.g. <14mm) you sometimes get strange distortion to the corners where the program can't render and align the images very good.

So basically there are a bunch of programs that work on MacOS albeit with or without the use of Whineskin. I would reconment to go for a 30 day trial of Astro Pixel Processor since in the end that is what you are after anyway

Good luck.

Rutger

One of the latest (last six months) updates to OS X Mojave caused some of my Wine bottled apps to start acting up a bit. DSS always had a glitch that I was able to work around, but the stacking results sometimes fail now with the latest updates to Mojave. Eventually all of the Wine bottled apps will fail as Apple is going to ban 32-bit apps, and Wine only uses 32-bit.

You brought up a very good point about WA and UWA stacking--it usually looks like crap. I find that any FL below 35mm FF equivalent is subject to weird distortion in corners. The wider the angle of view, the worse the distortion tends to be when stacking.

-- hide signature --
 W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +11 more
Haligator New Member • Posts: 1

I found this stacking software through a search. It’s only $15 dollars. I have yet to try it myself, but it has some good reviews.

http://keithwiley.com/software/keithsImageStacker.shtml

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads