RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

Started Jan 13, 2019 | Questions
nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 667
RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

The EVF on my RX100M6 just died. It pops up & out but there is no image. I checked the menu setting FINDER/MONITOR to see whether I had inadvertently changed it to Monitor(Manual) & saw it was set on Auto so the monitor screen blanks when you put your eye to the viewfinder. Unfortunately while exiting this menu I managed to select Viewfinder(Manual). So now I have no image on the monitor either & because I can't see the menus in the non-functioning viewfinder I cannot set it back to Auto or Monitor(Manual).

Does anyone know if it's possible to reset the camera without using menus? The default for FINDER/MONITOR is Auto so that should get me back to where I was. Alternatively does anyone have any ideas of blindly accessing the menus to reset to Auto? Checking the almost identical menus on my RX10M4 if you power off then power then press Menu you are on the last menu screen that you used & there is no way of reliably going to a particular menu screen.

I would welcome anyone have any bright ideas?

I bought the camera from Wex last July so I know that I'll get it fixed under warranty but I'm on holiday in France at present so would appreciate being able to use the camera with the rear screen rather than the EVF for the rest of the week. It still takes photos but it would be nicer if I could frame subject as I want rather than point & hope.

 nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keith Jefferies Regular Member • Posts: 247
Re: RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

Long shot, but does the monitor come alive if you switch on the camera by pressing the playback button?

 Keith Jefferies's gear list:Keith Jefferies's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,857
Re: RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

If you had the time, you could remove the battery and let the internal battery run down to the point that the camera resets. Unfortunately, that might take days.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,857
On second thought...

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

If you had the time, you could remove the battery and let the internal battery run down to the point that the camera resets. Unfortunately, that might take days.

I'm not sure that would even work. You would lose the time setting, but other settings may be held in non-volatile memory. I just don't know for certain.

-- hide signature --

Steve

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 17,450
Re: RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

nigelbb wrote:

Does anyone know if it's possible to reset the camera without using menus?

I googled rx100 reset procedure and this popped up for the RX100III:

  1. Remove the battery from the camera.
  2. Set the power switch to ON.
  3. Press and hold the shutter button for 2 minutes.
  4. Set the power switch to OFF.
  5. Insert the battery back to the camera.
  6. Set the power switch to ON to see if the camera will turn on.

No idea if it will actually work.

OP nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

Thanks very much for jumping in so quickly with helpful suggestions but happily I accidentally stumbled upon the answer without needing to reset the camera.

As I discovered when I powered on the camera with the button without popping up the EVF the screen is active when the EVF is retracted whatever the setting for FINDER/MONITOR might be. I was able to go into the menus & change it to Monitor(Manual).

I've had a look through the menus & I don't think that I screwed up any settings while I was blindly stabbing away trying to switch the screen back on but I now have E91:01 flashing in the middle of the screen. I'm guessing that this is an error message saying "My EVF is not working"

 nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +3 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,857
Re: RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

nigelbb wrote:

Thanks very much for jumping in so quickly with helpful suggestions but happily I accidentally stumbled upon the answer without needing to reset the camera.

As I discovered when I powered on the camera with the button without popping up the EVF the screen is active when the EVF is retracted whatever the setting for FINDER/MONITOR might be. I was able to go into the menus & change it to Monitor(Manual).

I've had a look through the menus & I don't think that I screwed up any settings while I was blindly stabbing away trying to switch the screen back on but I now have E91:01 flashing in the middle of the screen. I'm guessing that this is an error message saying "My EVF is not working"

Here is what the Help Guide says:

E:91:□□

A product malfunction has occurred. Initialize this product, then turn the power on again.

-- hide signature --

Steve

OP nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

nigelbb wrote:

Thanks very much for jumping in so quickly with helpful suggestions but happily I accidentally stumbled upon the answer without needing to reset the camera.

As I discovered when I powered on the camera with the button without popping up the EVF the screen is active when the EVF is retracted whatever the setting for FINDER/MONITOR might be. I was able to go into the menus & change it to Monitor(Manual).

I've had a look through the menus & I don't think that I screwed up any settings while I was blindly stabbing away trying to switch the screen back on but I now have E91:01 flashing in the middle of the screen. I'm guessing that this is an error message saying "My EVF is not working"

Here is what the Help Guide says:

E:91:□□

A product malfunction has occurred. Initialize this product, then turn the power on again.

I wonder what "Initialize this product" means?

 nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +3 more
Iain N Junior Member • Posts: 46
Initialize

If turning on and off doesn’t work I’d assume a hard reset ie return to factory settings.

 Iain N's gear list:Iain N's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
OP nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: Initialize

Iain N wrote:

If turning on and off doesn’t work I’d assume a hard reset ie return to factory settings.

OK. I haven't customised the menus much so it's got to be worth a punt. It's annoying that you cannot save the settings before doing a reset as you can with some other cameras. I'm not holding out much hope of it fixing the dead EVF though.

 nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +3 more
OP nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: Initialize
1

nigelbb wrote:

Iain N wrote:

If turning on and off doesn’t work I’d assume a hard reset ie return to factory settings.

OK. I haven't customised the menus much so it's got to be worth a punt. It's annoying that you cannot save the settings before doing a reset as you can with some other cameras. I'm not holding out much hope of it fixing the dead EVF though.

I did the reset pulled the battery etc Unfortunately it hasn't changed a thing. The EVF remains dark & the flashing E1:01 remains in the centre of the screen. Oh well... At least I can use the camera with the screen for the rest of the holiday & send it off back to Wex when I get home.

 nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +3 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,857
Re: Initialize

nigelbb wrote:

nigelbb wrote:

Iain N wrote:

If turning on and off doesn’t work I’d assume a hard reset ie return to factory settings.

OK. I haven't customised the menus much so it's got to be worth a punt. It's annoying that you cannot save the settings before doing a reset as you can with some other cameras. I'm not holding out much hope of it fixing the dead EVF though.

I did the reset pulled the battery etc Unfortunately it hasn't changed a thing. The EVF remains dark & the flashing E1:01 remains in the centre of the screen. Oh well... At least I can use the camera with the screen for the rest of the holiday & send it off back to Wex when I get home.

The manual doesn't list that particular code. I'm glad you've got at least a semi-working camera for the rest of your trip. Enjoy the rest of your journey.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Iain N Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Initialize

nigelbb wrote:

nigelbb wrote:

Iain N wrote:

If turning on and off doesn’t work I’d assume a hard reset ie return to factory settings.

OK. I haven't customised the menus much so it's got to be worth a punt. It's annoying that you cannot save the settings before doing a reset as you can with some other cameras. I'm not holding out much hope of it fixing the dead EVF though.

I did the reset pulled the battery etc Unfortunately it hasn't changed a thing. The EVF remains dark & the flashing E1:01 remains in the centre of the screen. Oh well... At least I can use the camera with the screen for the rest of the holiday & send it off back to Wex when I get home.

Glad you still have use of the camera while you’re on holiday! It’s frustrating when your camera is unavailable when you’re away - as I found out when I forgot to pack my charger one time so when my batteries died that was it.

 Iain N's gear list:Iain N's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
OP nigelbb Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: Initialize
1

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

nigelbb wrote:

nigelbb wrote:

Iain N wrote:

If turning on and off doesn’t work I’d assume a hard reset ie return to factory settings.

OK. I haven't customised the menus much so it's got to be worth a punt. It's annoying that you cannot save the settings before doing a reset as you can with some other cameras. I'm not holding out much hope of it fixing the dead EVF though.

I did the reset pulled the battery etc Unfortunately it hasn't changed a thing. The EVF remains dark & the flashing E1:01 remains in the centre of the screen. Oh well... At least I can use the camera with the screen for the rest of the holiday & send it off back to Wex when I get home.

The manual doesn't list that particular code. I'm glad you've got at least a semi-working camera for the rest of your trip. Enjoy the rest of your journey.

Went out cycling to the beach. How on earth do people use just the screen rather than the EVF in bright daylight? TBH it's barely better the when I had no screen & could only Point & Hope. Previously I always used the EVF as ergonomically it's so much better. It's far more difficult to keep it steady while holding the camera at arms' length.

 nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +3 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,857
Re: Initialize

nigelbb wrote:

Went out cycling to the beach. How on earth do people use just the screen rather than the EVF in bright daylight? TBH it's barely better the when I had no screen & could only Point & Hope. Previously I always used the EVF as ergonomically it's so much better. It's far more difficult to keep it steady while holding the camera at arms' length.

I agree whole heartedly. I'm sure you've bumped up the screen brightness, That has its limits. I never shoot without using the EVF. I find it superior in every way.

-- hide signature --

Steve

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,369
Re: RX100M6 - EVF died - how to reset without menus
1

nigelbb wrote:

I wonder what "Initialize this product" means?

Initialize puts it back to factory 'out of the box' settings. I would definitely do that.

There is a sensor, on the top rear edge of the body, just above the lcd, to the right of the evf. It senses when you put your face toward the evf, and turns the evf on. IF it is dirty, then the evf will stay dark. Try cleaning it, you might get lucky.

Then, pop up the EVF. It should turn the camera on, and work.

If it turns the camera on and doesn't work, and sensor is clean, sadly it is defective.

using lcd in glare: Set LCD Brightness to 'Sunny Weather'.

menu, toolcase, page 1, Monitor Brightness.

.............................

fingers crossed,

Elliott

 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads