MagFilter Filter Adapter System Explained

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,663
MagFilter Filter Adapter System Explained

All you new owners may want to use filters. Many like Lensmate filter adapter, some like Kiwi adapter, I started with MagFilter, changed to Kiwi, then back to MagFilter. I especially like MagFilter's simple single layer CPL

this is taken from earlier CPL thread

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4287226

Photos below the text

MagFilter ADAPTERS for Filters for Sony RX100’s and Olympus Stylus 1

MagFilter system is two parts: Self Adhesive Metal Ring, and Magnet.

Part 1. Self adhesive metal ring, adheres to lens barrel face. It must protrude (it’s own thickness) from the lens barrel face

a. Sony’s and Canons have flat lens faces, so only one ring is needed, it protrudes as required.

b. Oly Stylus 1 lens face is very slightly recessed from a protective collar, therefore two rings are required. First ring face becomes level with the face of the protective collar. The second ring, stacked on top of the first ring, protrudes it’s own thickness, as required.

c. Ring Size: two ring sizes exist, a larger diameter for the Sony rx100’s, which also fits the Stylus 1, and, a smaller diameter, for the Canon’s which have smaller diameter lens barrels.

d. The rings are STUPIDLY NAMED. Sony, and Stylus 1 need what they call 42mm ring. It actually measures 37mm OD, and fits into the 37mm diameter recess in the rear surface of the red magnetic ring.

e. Sony RX100 (all models): use their stupidly named 42mm ring (only one ring needed).

f. Oly Stylus 1: use their stupidly named 42mm ring, (two stacked rings needed, second ring protrudes).

g. Canon: uses a smaller diameter ring and magnet (only one ring needed).

Part 2. Magnet (Red Ring). Magnet has a recess in it’s rear surface. Recess depth and diameter is sized to receive the protruding metal ring. This automatically centers the red magnet on the metal ring, which is centered on the lens. Hold the red magnet near the lens face, it attaches itself, centered.

.................................................................................

MagFilter has two Products (both come with 2 self adhesive rings, 2nd normally a spare, but 2nd ring is needed for the Stylus 1) (MagFilter also sells a kit of 2 rings if only rings are needed)

1. Filter Adapter Plates. Red magnet on the rear, front threads to receive your filters (existing or new). Three optional thread diameter choices.

52mm

55mm

58mm

Note: for filters of other diameters, step up/dn rings can be used, step dn rings could cause vignette.

Note: IF you have thick ring filters, dual layer filters, and/or stack filters, it may be best to use the larger 58mm MagFilter adapter plate for the Stylus 1 to prevent vignette.

2. CPL Filter, theirs is a single layer, red magnet on the rear. The simplest and most compact CPL solution. No threads on face, therefore you cannot stack filters.

It attaches magnetically, you simply spin it for proper polarization, thus only single layer needed. CPL is 42mm. The stupidly named 42mm ring references this 42mm CPL which has, you guessed it, a 37mm recess in the back of the red magnet.

…………………………………………………………………………..

Stylus 1 Alternate Method: using an Adapter Tube (CLA-13 or CLA-14) for Filters

Vignette occurs, lack of vignette is another reason to use the MagFilter system, in addition to MagFilter’s simplicity and much smaller size. IF you have thick ring filters, dual layer filters, and/or stack filters, it may be best to use the larger 58mm MagFilter adapter plate to prevent vignette.

The use of UV/CPL/ND filters is typically outdoors, which often includes wide photos.

Vignette exists in the wide angle range of 28-+/- 38mm, when using the CLA-13 tube (for 1.7x tele conversion lens). CLA-13 tube is 1/3/4" (45mm) long.

The CLA-14 tube is a different length (for the .8x wide conversion lens, which has no vignette). We need someone who owns one to tell us it's length and if vignette occurs using a filter, if so, what range?.

CLA-13 Tube fits 55mm filters (and 55mm conversion lenses). Step-up/dn rings are possible to use existing filters of different diameters. The extent of vignette will be extended using 'reducing' step-down rings, and it also depends on the ring thickness of single layer; dual rotating CPL or ND, and stacks i.e. ND and CPL for waterfall photos, etc.

Stylus 1 includes a built in ND, however, to control the look of moving water, it may not be the degree of ND you want.

………………………… …………………..

PHOTOS

View: original size

...................................................................................

RX100 Photos

MagFilter 42mm CPL, single layer, no face threads, simplest and most compact

MagFilter Adapter Plate, 52mm with Hoya CPL attached and protective cap

Stylus 1 Photos

Two rings stacked on face of lens barrel (2nd ring protrudes as required).

MagFilter Plate and CPL, (moved from the Sony to the Stylus 1) (uses same size ring)

NOTE: Stylus 1 auto opening/closing lens cap remains, no parts removal/install needed.

Protected (during storage, keep clean, walking about left on).

Stylus 1, auto lens cap removed for optional Adapter Tube method

Removal/install/carry parts more difficult, and thread damage potential.

Note: CLA tube is for 55mm threads. Shown below is step down ring, 55mm down to 52mm to use existing 52mm filter. This extends the vignette, reduces wide angle use.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JCNewman New Member • Posts: 12
Re: MagFilter Filter Adapter System Explained

Hi Elliott,

Thanks for the summary (saved me a forum search on this topic). I wondered if you could confirm, does the single layer CPL for the RX100 vi vignette at 24mm?

Many thanks.

JCNewman's gear list:JCNewman's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,663

JCNewman wrote:

Hi Elliott,

Thanks for the summary (saved me a forum search on this topic). I wondered if you could confirm, does the single layer CPL for the RX100 vi vignette at 24mm?

Many thanks.

Oh yes, it has very tiny vignette at 24m gone at 25mm.  I had my 9 year old grand-daughter put the self adhesive metal ring on my new m6. Turns out the size of the lens barrel is exactly the same as the Magfilter ring, so just turn it on, put the ring on, couldn't be easier.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Bayman Junior Member • Posts: 41

Do you experience any shadows with flash on like w/ the Kiwi adapter in this thread?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62157505

Bayman wrote:

Do you experience any shadows with flash on like w/ the Kiwi adapter in this thread?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62157505

rx100m6 with MagFilter's CPL, pop-up flash, shows shadow, progressively reduced in height, until 36-38 degrees, then it is gone.

The flash is flexible, you can aim it up partially or fully to the ceiling, avoiding any shadow between 24-36 (you would want to be back far enough to avoid poor distribution of the flash top to bottom.

rx100m3, with MagFilter CPL, flash, no shadow at it's widest 24mm or thereafter.

Elliott

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,221

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Hi Elliott. First, as a new Sony RX100IV owner (as of yesterday!), thanks for all your informative threads. Better than the manual!

All you new owners may want to use filters.

Second, yes, and I too am interested in the MagFilter so I can use a Circ-Pol filter (I have a mountain holiday in a couple of weeks).

Many like Lensmate filter adapter, some like Kiwi adapter, I started with MagFilter, changed to Kiwi, then back to MagFilter. I especially like MagFilter's simple single layer CPL.

1. Filter Adapter Plates. Red magnet on the rear, front threads to receive your filters (existing or new). Three optional thread diameter choices.

52mm

I tend to use Hoya HD Circ-Pol filters (on my main system - Fuji) due to their quality and good light transmission compared to other makes. I have 52mm one, so am interested in continuing to use it. However, it may add bulk, which I'd like to avoid. Your images below show it well in place with the 52mm adding some bulk.

It attaches magnetically, you simply spin it for proper polarization, thus only single layer needed. CPL is 42mm. The stupidly named 42mm ring references this 42mm CPL which has, you guessed it, a 37mm recess in the back of the red magnet.

So, how does the MagFilter optical quality stand up and compare with top makes? Is it an IQ degrade?  I don't want to degrade the excellent Zeiss lens. I also assume that one cannot fit a lens cap (or any other third party solution) on the MagFilter, which may or may not be an issue.

RX100 Photos

MagFilter 42mm CPL, single layer, no face threads, simplest and most compact

MagFilter Adapter Plate, 52mm with Hoya CPL attached and protective cap

So, like many things in life, it's trade-off. I want to avoid too much additional bulk (ergo the 52mm option), but I don't want the optical quality of the Zeiss lens to be compromised (ergo the MagFilter 42mm option).  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm XQ2 Sony RX100 IV Nikon D40 Fujifilm X-E3 +1 more

I wish I could still climb mountains, where are you going?

Extra Batteries! just to learn the huge menu, then for out and about.

Portability is great, but speed to use, shoot, avoid having others wait for you is even more important IMO.

For your situation, I think you will want positive hold, and the ability of stacking CPL with ND for a waterfall or stream, and to use your existing filters. MagFilter magnet is strong, but you cannot leave it on, and put it in/out of bag rapidly and repeatedly. You cannot leave your camera dangling while moving, ready to snatch and shoot which is what I used to do.

Lensmate and Kiwi are both positive hold

Kiwi is the simplest. They make a 52mm filter adapter, self adhesive ring with threads, waiting for your existing high quality filters, and then you can put a cap on your filter for protection. It adds 5mm to camera face. I used it for a few years.

this is usa, you could find it where you are

https://www.ebay.com/i/183533230393?chn=ps

Lensmate is not as simple, but many prefer it. I never tried it. One fits your model and all prior rx100's, for 52mm filters. They have a new one that fits the rx100m6's new lens face.

https://lensmateonline.com/collections/sony-rx100-iii-rx100-ii-rx100-accessories

you can buy extra pieces and have several filters pre-attached, ready to simply twist on/off, which has to be quick and perhaps keep your gloves on.

As for portability, like cases, I have several solutions, very minimal, bit bigger, ... It is the same with the filters.

minimal: I have MagFilter's single layer 42mm CPL. I simply wrap it in a lens cloth and jamb it in the case's pocket with a spare battery. Small, strong magnet, but, it can be dislodged.

next: their 52mm filter adapter plate, allows for any higher quality filter, a cap, and stacking filters. So, that means I have some other filter(s) somewhere.

The self adhesive gizmos hold very firmly, but you can remove them later, I took my Kiwi ring off and went back to MagFilter, so don't think once you put it on, you are stuck with something.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,221

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I wish I could still climb mountains, where are you going?

Ah, but we shall be going in the opposite direction - skiing down them!  Zermatt, Switzerland, so doubtless there will be plenty of Matterhorn photos.

Extra Batteries! just to learn the huge menu, then for out and about.

Agreed, I normally carry a spare and have ordered a Sony one (rather than a 3rd party)

Portability is great, but speed to use, shoot, avoid having others wait for you is even more important IMO.

Agreed, the family are always impatient when skiing or hiking! I went for a walk this evening for the first time with the RX100IV and found it reasonably quick to take out of a pocket, pull out the EVF, snap, collapse the EVF and put it away.

For your situation, I think you will want positive hold, and the ability of stacking CPL with ND for a waterfall or stream, and to use your existing filters. MagFilter magnet is strong, but you cannot leave it on, and put it in/out of bag rapidly and repeatedly. You cannot leave your camera dangling while moving, ready to snatch and shoot which is what I used to do.

Thanks for the images and advice on other options, really helpful. I am leaning towards the MagFilter, either with a 52 CPL (Hoya HD) or their own 42mm one. Do you have any view on the quality of the 42mm one?  How might it impact on IQ?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm XQ2 Sony RX100 IV Nikon D40 Fujifilm X-E3 +1 more

jhorse wrote:

Thanks for the images and advice on other options, really helpful. I am leaning towards the MagFilter, either with a 52 CPL (Hoya HD) or their own 42mm one. Do you have any view on the quality of the 42mm one? How might it impact on IQ?

Thanks.

Looking at your equipment list, I doubt you will be happy with MagFilter's simple compact CPL. It's ok, did surprisingly well against my new Hoya HRT (high rate of transmission) mid priced filter, same amount of light transference, same ISO's used, that was what I wanted to know primarily. But mine was simple quickie comparison, just to determine if I would keep the MagFilter 42mm or not, which I did. btw, years ago, MagFilter's original simple CPL had quality issues, people made sure they got 2nd edition, now they are all good.

It is so compact, jumps onto my rx100m3, m6, and my Oly Stylus 1. I value convenience, good enough, while you have a history of searching and finding better quality in all your gear I can tell.

Shooting in snow, expensive vacations, you will need better avoidance of chromatic aberration, I simply wouldn't take the shot, or, take it, not let anything bother me.

I use the MagFilter 52mm plate with 52mm hoya, so I can add a cap, and/or add an ND for waterfalls, then the cap. The cap protects in in the bag as well as walking around.

I drive convertibles, and if shooting out the window, Donna drives. I had to hold my original 58mm plate to keep it from being blown off while shooting at clouds, blimps, small planes, ...

Then, we went for a speed boat ride, again, shooting out the back, I had to keep it from blowing off.

I switched to the secure Kiwi system, had 52mm and step up rings for existing filters, ... Secure, takes a lens cap, can stack, but, a complicated mess to remember, sort out, ...

When someone on Oly site figured how to stack two MagFilter rings on it's lens face, I went back to MagFilter.

More active, up/dn skiing, hiking, I would be very tempted by the lensmate system, and get spare rings so all my base filters were ready for simple bayonet twist on/off. I never tried it, because, I am a Designer, and I don't like the look of the lens attachment piece, and I don't need easy twist on/off.

Over 6 years, you start and learn this, then get a new model, then someone solves a problem, things change, probably will change again.

Same thing with cases, I hunt thrift stores, change filter size, get a belt case. small shoulder case. I only have 1 real camera case, divider to fit RX1r with either my rx1oo or my Oly for an intended photo trip. all the others are ..., my filter/accessories go in a beat up leather toiletry bag that I can leave in plain site in a hotel room, ...

I have come to realize, in concerts, school events, weddings, birthdays, I only want a couple of good shots, then stop shooting and enjoy the show. so I learn techniques, wait for moments of opportunity, less movement, more light, don't bother trying higher ISO than I like, .... When Daria is in a play, or dance recital, the pressure is on, she wants shots of every costume, dance routine, scene, ... You can see thru the viewfinder, and miss what's happening at the same time.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads