Leica vs Huawei

Started Jan 9, 2019 | Discussions
Blackraven Forum Member • Posts: 64
Leica vs Huawei

I recently purchased a Huawei P20 PRO which is equipped with a Leica-branded lens. I've been quite amazed with its performance. On a recent trip to New Zealand I carried it along with my Leica M240 with 21mm F3.4 lens, and quite often took the same shots with both "cameras" as a back-up and to provide a different "feel".

Later - upon reviewing both photos - I was astonished by the Huawei. It matches up very well with the Leica.

See the below shots for a comparison;

Pic A

Pic B

Which is which?

One clearly has the "Leica-look" and just edges it. But it's close.

For sharpness - there is really is nothing in it.

Phone technology really has come of age.

Blackraven's gear list:Blackraven's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot S95 Sigma DP2 Merrill Leica D-Lux 6 +16 more
DJ2014 Regular Member • Posts: 372
Re: Leica vs Huawei

Given the dynamic range I would assume picture A is the Leica (larger sensor).

DJ2014's gear list:DJ2014's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4
Russar
Russar Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

Blackraven wrote:

I recently purchased a Huawei P20 PRO which is equipped with a Leica-branded lens. I've been quite amazed with its performance. On a recent trip to New Zealand I carried it along with my Leica M240 with 21mm F3.4 lens, and quite often took the same shots with both "cameras" as a back-up and to provide a different "feel".

Later - upon reviewing both photos - I was astonished by the Huawei. It matches up very well with the Leica.

See the below shots for a comparison;

Pic A

Pic B

Which is which?

One clearly has the "Leica-look" and just edges it. But it's close.

Phone technology really has come of age.

I do agree with you – cellphones technology progressed, making them very good pocketable computer tablets.  But, physics and optics tell us: larger sensor cells and larger lenses can give better image quality with much higher resolution and SNR.  The differences could not be seen on small phone or laptop screens, especially if those are of mediocre character.  

Irakly Shanidze
Irakly Shanidze Veteran Member • Posts: 6,569

image A is a  better candidate for Leica M240. the other picture has crushed shadows

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en
www.artphotoacademy.com

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9 Leica S2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Panasonic S1 +17 more
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,748

Is 1/1000 sec for the Huawei shot versus 1/60 sec (handheld?) for the Leica shot at play here?

David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 6,211

I peeked at the EXIF data so I know which is which.  Personally I'd ease up a bit on the contrast in the second image, and either back off the vignetting or apply some de-vignetting, but that's a matter of taste.

I'm also very impressed with current smartdevice image quality. On all my trips & holidays in 2018 I used a "proper" camera and my iPhone (via the Pro Camera Raw app) more or less interchangeably. In good light they both produced really good 4K (2160 pixels vertically) final images.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 504

You left the EXIF data, so it's not much of a challenge!

If you zoom in it is very obvious. One image has detail, and the other has a lot of NR smearing. What is odd is that the Leica image has severely clipped highlights and heavy vignetting - some issue with exposure or processing.

In another thread Irakly compared a Leica M to a racing yacht: you can get a lot of performance out of it, but it doesn't hold your hand and do a lot of the work for you like many modern cameras!

DJ2014 Regular Member • Posts: 372

It’s surprising the dynamic range of the phone versus the dedicated camera. I love Leica and the Leica forum but I don’t think I will ever own one.

DJ2014's gear list:DJ2014's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4
JDLaing50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,031

John Kot wrote:

If you zoom in it is very obvious. One image has detail, and the other has a lot of NR smearing. What is odd is that the Leica image has severely clipped highlights and heavy vignetting - some issue with exposure or processing.

In another thread Irakly compared a Leica M to a racing yacht: you can get a lot of performance out of it, but it doesn't hold your hand and do a lot of the work for you like many modern cameras!

I’m curious where you see heavy vignetting.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Leica CL Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +11 more
OP Blackraven Forum Member • Posts: 64

John Kot wrote:

The shots were JPEG out of the camera. I don't see the smearing in the Huawei shot to be honest. Check the foreground grass details in the left corner. There are individual strands of grass in both shots.

Re "clipped highlights" - the only way to prevent the "clipped" highlights would have been to underexpose the shot but that would have made the shot too dark. And there is no vignetting - check the sky in the top left.

The dark shadow areas is a signature of the lens (the 28mm cron has same signature) and is part of the beloved "Leica-look".

My point here is not to criticise the Leica - which I love. But to highlight how far phone camera technology has improved.

As the lens is branded as a Leica on the Huawei phone - i would like to congratulate Leica for doing such a good job.

Out of the two shots, I still prefer the Leica result.

Blackraven's gear list:Blackraven's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot S95 Sigma DP2 Merrill Leica D-Lux 6 +16 more
Irakly Shanidze

LOL, I purposely did not, and now I know what to do to make a Leica shot look like a smartphone photo

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en
www.artphotoacademy.com

Irakly Shanidze

It got me interested, and I opened the files at 100%. The smearing on the shot A is absolutely evident. Take a look.

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en
www.artphotoacademy.com

phototeacher Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

If you consider the difference in the size of the two sensors, when viewing at 100% wouldn't you expect to see more imperfections in the much smaller size phone sensor?

Irakly Shanidze

What do you think, would I? I am surprised that OP did not.

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en
www.artphotoacademy.com

JDLaing50 wrote:

Well, from the big difference in luminance values between the right hand and bottom left corner regions and the centre of the image. Big chunks of the sky are blown so it is difficult to judge from the top left corner.

Re: Leica vs Huawei (Question for Irakly)

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

image A is a better candidate for Leica M240. the other picture has crushed shadows

Irakly - you are something of an expert. Are crushed shadows a part of the "Leica look"?

"The dark shadow areas is a signature of the lens (the 28mm cron has same signature) and is part of the beloved 'Leica-look'."

Personally I've never heard of it, but I'm willing to be educated.

JDLaing50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,031

John Kot wrote:

JDLaing50 wrote:

Well, from the big difference in luminance values between the right hand and bottom left corner regions and the centre of the image. Big chunks of the sky are blown so it is difficult to judge from the top left corner.

Nah. Looks like exposure problems to me.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Leica CL Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +11 more

JDLaing50 wrote:

John Kot wrote:

JDLaing50 wrote:

Nah. Looks like exposure problems to me.

You’re probably right.

phototeacher Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

The dark shadow areas is a signature of the lens (the 28mm cron has same signature) and is part of the beloved "Leica-look".

I don't understand how a particular lens can underexpose shadows 'purposely' while another will not? Each lens may have abberations (color, fringing, chromatic abberations, distortions etc.) but one that only underexposes shadow areas, I'm not so sure.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,243
Side..

phototeacher wrote:

I don't understand how a particular lens can underexpose shadows 'purposely' while another will not?

Side effect of inherent low Light Transmission quality of the particular lens?

Each lens may have abberations (color, fringing, chromatic abberations, distortions etc.) but one that only underexposes shadow areas, I'm not so sure.

In a high contrast scene, areas of low light can appear to be effected disproportional by a lens that has lower light transmission quality.  In this specific case though...might be nothing more than poor exposure issues for the scene

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads