New 8K M4/3 Camera Prototype from Sharp at CES

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
FirworksYT New Member • Posts: 17
New 8K M4/3 Camera Prototype from Sharp at CES

The dudes at Kinotika just found this at CES.

Maybe if Panasonic isn't giving m4/3 the love Sharp will fill in for them. The body on it looks a lot like the BMPCC4K, and even has similar ports on the left side of the camera. However it has a huge 5" flip out screen. Totally unexpected and I haven't seen any rumors about this thing at all. Also I would assume this is very much a prototype as the finish on it and the materials look very cheap. It's still pretty exciting to see something like this possibly coming out for the dead platform of m4/3.

FirworksYT's gear list:FirworksYT's gear list
Nikon D70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Ab Latchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,287
Re: New 8K M4/3 Camera Prototype from Sharp at CES

Funny, for a video only camera you would think the tilt screen perfect. But at 8K this must be a higher resolution body, right? How many pixels are needed for 8K in 16:9?

OP FirworksYT New Member • Posts: 17

8K would be 33MP but since it's a m4/3 sensor it'd probably be a 44MP sensor assuming it still takes photos in 4:3 aspect ratio.

FirworksYT's gear list:FirworksYT's gear list
Nikon D70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Androole Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Proof of life

Love it.

I especially love how people actually took that one Panasonic regional manager at face value when she said “8K on Micro 4/3 is complicated, if not impossible.”

Anyone with any technical knowledge knew that was an absurd statement, and now just 2 months later we have a prototype that clearly refutes it.

This is why you should never listen to regional managers, salespeople, social media representatives, or anyone who isn't either an engineer or a Japanese Head Office executive...

Androole's gear list:Androole's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +2 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,686

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Big Ball of Four-Thirds Fun DPR has front-paged.  Now, if somebody would give me eight Olympus Airs and a roll of duct tape, I have an idea....

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Ab Latchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,287

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Big Ball of Four-Thirds Fun DPR has front-paged. Now, if somebody would give me eight Olympus Airs and a roll of duct tape, I have an idea....

I just wouldn't know what to do with the AoV

So this means there is a 44mp sensor for m43rds knocking around.... Hmmm, I wonder who will put it into a stills oriented camera first.

Cheers,

Rick

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,135

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Big Ball of Four-Thirds Fun DPR has front-paged. Now, if somebody would give me eight Olympus Airs and a roll of duct tape, I have an idea....

Have you actually used an Air?  I did and I returned it as I was unable to maintain a remote connection even though my phone was about a foot away.  Of course with both the Olympus and Panasonic camera apps, you would need 8 phones or tablets, to control each camera.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Jonas Palm Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Doesn’t have to be 4/3 sensor though.

Just because the mount is m4/3, that doesn’t mean that there is a 4/3 sensor behind it.

One can hope though.

Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
BostonC Contributing Member • Posts: 547

Actually another channel on youtube posted a bit earlier, with greater details.

Sharp/Foxconn might have rushed it, the prototype's body looks crudely made, and it has the cheapo Oly 45-150mm I on it. WTH.

JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 2,395
Re: Doesn’t have to be 4/3 sensor though.

Jonas Palm wrote:

Just because the mount is m4/3, that doesn’t mean that there is a 4/3 sensor behind it.

One can hope though.

It doesn't make sense to use a M43 mount unless there is a 4/3" sensor (or smaller). If they went with a bigger sensor it'll vignette.

EF mount would have been a better choice for larger sensors. Heck some 4/3" cameras use EF mount.

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
ntsan Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Re: Doesn’t have to be 4/3 sensor though.

JakeJY wrote:

Jonas Palm wrote:

One can hope though.

It doesn't make sense to use a M43 mount unless there is a 4/3" sensor (or smaller). If they went with a bigger sensor it'll vignette.

EF mount would have been a better choice for larger sensors. Heck some 4/3" cameras use EF mount.

JVC proved that APS-C sensor on M43 is totally possible.

But yeah looks like M43 will have 8K before anyone else has it in a compact body format

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Sony a6500 Panasonic GX850 Sony a7 III Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +8 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,343
Since it is on CES, dpreview missed this and still does?

I think today we will see a message on the News part of this site.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Boissez Contributing Member • Posts: 657
8K is meh... the body looks fantastic though

A flexible screen, HDMI-out and XLR-in would make for an excellent camera even with a regular 4K sensor.

Boissez's gear list:Boissez's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +7 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 3,246
Re: 8K is meh... the body looks fantastic though

What?? M43 lives? And 8K! Hmmmm... maybe I should wait a little before deserting this dead format that could NEVER do 8K?

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

Athonline Regular Member • Posts: 212
Exactly

Said the same thing on the 43rumours. The manager in question is a mid-level manager at best; working for Panasonic France which in turn answer to Panasonic Europe which follows order from the Japanese HQs...

In full honesty, I do hope Panasonic Japan saw the interview and took some measures against similar responses.

Athonline's gear list:Athonline's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Type II +3 more
TomFid Senior Member • Posts: 2,842
doesn't matter?

Jonas Palm wrote:

One can hope though.

They have PanOly lenses on it, so it must at least be roughly the 4/3 image circle. So, even if it's not strictly a 4/3 sensor, it's close enough to be a very interesting new option.

Jonas Palm Contributing Member • Posts: 822
Re: doesn't matter?

TomFid wrote:

Jonas Palm wrote:

One can hope though.

They have PanOly lenses on it, so it must at least be roughly the 4/3 image circle. So, even if it's not strictly a 4/3 sensor, it's close enough to be a very interesting new option.

There is a range of possibilities, from 1” to cine format sensors. Still, I hope it simply is a new, as yet unannounced 4/3 sensor. Having a new 8k 4/3 sensor capable of very fast readout would be quite nice.

I could see why a number of companies, Olympus and Panasonic not least, would like the existance of such a sensor to remain under wraps for a while longer.

Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
sunjester
sunjester Senior Member • Posts: 1,332
Looks like Panasonic and Sony snooze and

Someone else picks up the ball.

-- hide signature --

Starter astrophotographer

sunjester's gear list:sunjester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Panasonic G85 +10 more
ristar Regular Member • Posts: 240

I did a quick search on Sharp and Foxconn and found this interesting link:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Electronics/Foxconn-eyes-video-cameras-as-smartphone-demand-weakens2 (website allows only 2 free articles per month)

The articles mention a possible partnership between Foxconn/Sharp with RED Digital Cinema; I wasn't aware that Foxconn was planning (or already is?) building camera sensors or that they bought Sharp back in 2016.

There was an article on EOSHD as well, but apparently we cannot post links to that website in this forum.

ristar's gear list:ristar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +12 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,122
Likely based on GH5S sensor

The GH5S uses the Sony IMX299CJK snesor. This was a multi-aspect sensor based on a quad bayer pixel structure. A slight modification to the sensor would allow for all 40.8MP to be used for 8k.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/img/products/IMX299CJK_Flyer.pdf

https://techinsights.com/reports-and-subscriptions/open-market-reports/Report-Profile/?ReportKey=DEF-1802-802

"Sony IMX299CJK CIS from Panasonic LUMIX G DC-GH5S"

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads