Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions
falconeyes
falconeyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,523
Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
2

According to AngryRabbit

https://youtu.be/mVBjBGlM_e0

the Z6 (and I guess, the Z7 too) have very sluggish video AF performance when recording in NLog to an external device.

Personally, I assume the AF works on the rendered NLog stream which lacks contrast to make the AF work as designed. Nikon may be aware of this and it may be the reason why it doesn't record NLog internally. Who knows ...

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

 falconeyes's gear list:falconeyes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax *ist DS Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 808 +2 more
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sungphoto Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
14

So one guy on the internet that apparently lives in an attic, doesn't know how to record more than rudimentary video or sound, and doesn't know how to edit says this and you post a broad statement that you have no personal experience to back up.

I'll post up some flat earth videos to give this thread more substance

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,006
HDMI View Assist may fix that
8

Turning on the 'View Assist' HDMI option applies Nikon's built-in LUT to the previewed N-Log footage in LV, which may fix the AF issue if it indeed is caused by the lower contrast of the LV video feed that's also used by the AF system.

Described in this video (0:53):

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,028
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
1

No text - recording this thread for probably purchase of Z6/Z7 later in the year

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

 thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
Alex Permit
Alex Permit Senior Member • Posts: 2,085
Re: HDMI View Assist may fix that
1

Horshack wrote:

Turning on the 'View Assist' HDMI option applies Nikon's built-in LUT to the previewed N-Log footage in LV, which may fix the AF issue if it indeed is caused by the lower contrast of the LV video feed that's also used by the AF system.

Described in this video (0:53):

Makes sense. That would be analogous to turning off "apply settings to live view" to improve low light autofocus when shooting stills.

 Alex Permit's gear list:Alex Permit's gear list
Sony RX100 V Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Nikon D5 +21 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 16,218
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
6

falconeyes wrote:

According to AngryRabbit

Why do you believe "angry rabbit" in preference to Nikon and posts from photographers with considerable video expertise?

Being taken seriously and checking the integrity of links before you post them tend to be synonymous.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
falconeyes
OP falconeyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,523
Re: HDMI View Assist may fix that
1

Thanks. Good find.

I imagine that this would indeed fix it. Left a comment in the video for the original author to verify.

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

 falconeyes's gear list:falconeyes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax *ist DS Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 808 +2 more
falconeyes
OP falconeyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,523
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
4

What a silly comment, speechless. You could have watched and seen for yourself, little to be believed.

Fortunately, useful contributions like Horshack's make me continue to use this site. Even though your post's many likes mean "useful" is a dying species here on DPR ...

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

 falconeyes's gear list:falconeyes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax *ist DS Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 808 +2 more
JohnNS
JohnNS Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
2

Why does anyone give this guy views?

 JohnNS's gear list:JohnNS's gear list
Kodak DX6490 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6
sungphoto Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
3

falconeyes wrote:

What a silly comment, speechless. You could have watched and seen for yourself, little to be believed.

Fortunately, useful contributions like Horshack's make me continue to use this site. Even though your post's many likes mean "useful" is a dying species here on DPR ...

Wait, seriously though, did you watch the video you posted?

I thought it was clear within the first 10-15 seconds that the guy posting for "angry rabbit productions" was an amateur videographer that didn't know how to light properly - glancing at his lighting it looks like he's uses a combo of a home depot work lamp and maybe either his overhead tungstens and/or an LED in the back up higher as a rim. His other videos are pretty poorly made, and the video he made on his Z6 looks like it was done on an iphone. He has 40 subscribers, which are likely just his friends and family, and I'm guessing most of the views on that video are ones that we drove from DPR.

To be clear, I'm not knocking the guy for his ambition, we all got to start somewhere, but you seem to be posing him as some sort of expert on the matter, when we all know that user error can be a big component of any camera "not working".

The problem with your original post is that you make this proclamation that this particular setup doesn't work, and then provide a supporting link from a source that doesn't seem credible at all.

NexLupus Regular Member • Posts: 408
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder

sungphoto wrote:

falconeyes wrote:

What a silly comment, speechless. You could have watched and seen for yourself, little to be believed.

Fortunately, useful contributions like Horshack's make me continue to use this site. Even though your post's many likes mean "useful" is a dying species here on DPR ...

Wait, seriously though, did you watch the video you posted?

I thought it was clear within the first 10-15 seconds that the guy posting for "angry rabbit productions" was an amateur videographer that didn't know how to light properly - glancing at his lighting it looks like he's uses a combo of a home depot work lamp and maybe either his overhead tungstens and/or an LED in the back up higher as a rim. His other videos are pretty poorly made, and the video he made on his Z6 looks like it was done on an iphone. He has 40 subscribers, which are likely just his friends and family, and I'm guessing most of the views on that video are ones that we drove from DPR.

To be clear, I'm not knocking the guy for his ambition, we all got to start somewhere, but you seem to be posing him as some sort of expert on the matter, when we all know that user error can be a big component of any camera "not working".

The problem with your original post is that you make this proclamation that this particular setup doesn't work, and then provide a supporting link from a source that doesn't seem credible at

 NexLupus's gear list:NexLupus's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Badwater Senior Member • Posts: 2,095
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder

falconeyes wrote:

According to AngryRabbit

https://youtu.be/mVBjBGlM_e0

the Z6 (and I guess, the Z7 too) have very sluggish video AF performance when recording in NLog to an external device.

Personally, I assume the AF works on the rendered NLog stream which lacks contrast to make the AF work as designed. Nikon may be aware of this and it may be the reason why it doesn't record NLog internally. Who knows ...

Depending on the lens that would have a impact on AF performance especially in low light.

falconeyes
OP falconeyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,523
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
1

fsungphoto wrote:

falconeyes wrote:

What a silly comment, speechless. You could have watched and seen for yourself, little to be believed.

Fortunately, useful contributions like Horshack's make me continue to use this site. Even though your post's many likes mean "useful" is a dying species here on DPR ...

Wait, seriously though, did you watch the video you posted?

I did, but maybe, you didn‘t.

I agree with everything being poor in his video. Except for his finding. Just watch the video carefully.

He runs two demo video AF-C sessions, with the ONLY difference being NLog being enabled. And the difference in AF performance is striking. That‘s a genuine finding and everybody with a Ninja V (which this „amateur“ happens to use ...) can reproduce or falsify.

Any commenter here disrespecting the video w/o actually having run the same test should be seriously ashamed. And is wasting my precious time

 falconeyes's gear list:falconeyes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax *ist DS Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 808 +2 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 16,218
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder
1

falconeyes wrote:

He runs two demo video AF-C sessions, with the ONLY difference being NLog being enabled. And the difference in AF performance is striking. That‘s a genuine finding and everybody with a Ninja V (which this „amateur“ happens to use ...) can reproduce or falsify.

This presumes "he" knew how to set up Nlog correctly.
The consensus is he did not - meaning no "genuine finding".

Any commenter here disrespecting the video w/o actually having run the same test should be seriously ashamed. And is wasting my precious time

I am not ashamed to say I believe his conclusion indicated he is not competent.
I also believe you are wasting my time by not evaluating the credibility of the link before posting it.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

 Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
falconeyes
OP falconeyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,523
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

falconeyes wrote:

He runs two demo video AF-C sessions, with the ONLY difference being NLog being enabled. And the difference in AF performance is striking. That‘s a genuine finding and everybody with a Ninja V (which this „amateur“ happens to use ...) can reproduce or falsify.

This presumes "he" knew how to set up Nlog correctly.
The consensus is he did not - meaning no "genuine finding".

We have no consensus.

We have one suggestion that enabling LUTs for LV may be fixing it. Unconfirmed. I hope it does. But even if, we still would have the genuine finding that NLog requires LUTs to make AF work properly - unknown previous to his video. This deserves credit.

I believe most are taking offense at the word „unusable“. But under the conditions showcased, it actually is.

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

 falconeyes's gear list:falconeyes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax *ist DS Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 808 +2 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,290
Re: Z6 video AF performance unusable with NLog and external recorder

I believe DPR tested video with the Atmos, did they not?

 sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads