Dead AF on DFA* 1.4

Started Jan 4, 2019 | Discussions
Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Dead AF on DFA* 1.4

Hi, All:

While traveling with the normally stellar 50 1.4 and my K-1, the autofocus has suddenly failed.  When I mount the lens, I get the manual SR focal length input screen, which quickly disappears (this is new).  Then, the display screen reads “MF” regardless of the AF/MF switch positions on the lens and body.  I’ve tried my other lenses; AF Is fine.  Wiped off the 50’s contacts; no dice.  This seems extremely odd for a Les that’s just a couple months old.  Any thoughts?  Hoping to use it for portrait sessions on the trip, and a little bummed.

Thanks for any insight!

Adam

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +5 more
Nikon Df Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
phoenix15
phoenix15 Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: Dead AF on DFA* 1.4

Adam007 wrote:

Hi, All:

While traveling with the normally stellar 50 1.4 and my K-1, the autofocus has suddenly failed. When I mount the lens, I get the manual SR focal length input screen, which quickly disappears (this is new). Then, the display screen reads “MF” regardless of the AF/MF switch positions on the lens and body. I’ve tried my other lenses; AF Is fine. Wiped off the 50’s contacts; no dice. This seems extremely odd for a Les that’s just a couple months old. Any thoughts? Hoping to use it for portrait sessions on the trip, and a little bummed.

Thanks for any insight!

Adam

Oh no, this is the first time ever I heard such problem. Do you still have warranty with you right ? You probably can contact Pentax distributor for repair or replacement. 
Sorry to hear that.

-- hide signature --

-Canon and Pentax-

phoenix15's gear list:phoenix15's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,647

Adam007 wrote:

Hi, All:

While traveling with the normally stellar 50 1.4 and my K-1, the autofocus has suddenly failed. When I mount the lens, I get the manual SR focal length input screen, which quickly disappears (this is new). Then, the display screen reads “MF” regardless of the AF/MF switch positions on the lens and body. I’ve tried my other lenses; AF Is fine. Wiped off the 50’s contacts; no dice. This seems extremely odd for a Les that’s just a couple months old. Any thoughts? Hoping to use it for portrait sessions on the trip, and a little bummed.

I'm sorry to hear about that.

This looks like a communication, or electronic issue. If you can, try the lens on another camera just to confirm.

But only a trip to the service can fix it.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,195

Sorry for that.

It seems The curse of failure to haunt this lenses like the formers.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more

zakaria wrote:

Sorry for that.

Let's not exaggerate - no product has a zero failure rate, at any cost.

Alex

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
karlk79 Junior Member • Posts: 30

Try taking the battery out of the camera and turning it on and off a handful of times. Leave the battery out and let it sit for a few hours.

You could take note of your settings and do a reset of your camera.

This would ensure its most likely the lens and not the camera.

karlk79's gear list:karlk79's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Pentax 645Z Samsung NX1 +5 more
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,388

Sounds like SDM failure. Both my 16-50 and 50-135 did the same.

Just send it for repair when you get back.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Sony a7 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more

Labe wrote:

I disagree - the SDM failure is characterized by the lens not being able to focus, but otherwise working fine. The AF motor itself is vastly different from these micromotors - it's a ring type motor.

The SR select focal length screen, the lens appearing as MF points toward lens-camera communication issues.

Alex

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,994

Sorry to hear. It is always very annoying when things fail when you are out travelling with them.

Too much that can go wrong with modern complicated things. It is a wonder that they are working at all.

It is a bliss to use old manual focus lenses without any electronics at all. Until you get oil on your aperture blades, at least. But then you can go even further back to the days of manual aperture preset.

Anyhow - send it in - it will be fixed. And the risk for it happening again is almost zero.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,595

Sounds like a communication problem, you might consider checking of the screws on the mount plate are tight, if that does nothing for you it will have to be serviced

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

OP Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 614

Thanks, Everyone.

I’ve reached out to the seller first, but if I have to send this in under warranty, I’m guessing it goes to Precision, right? For better and for worse, this is my first warranty issue with Pentax.

Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +5 more
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,130

Alex Sarbu wrote:

zakaria wrote:

Sorry for that.

Let's not exaggerate - no product has a zero failure rate, at any cost.

Alex

And a huge proportion of failures seem to result in a post here.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,130

Adam007 wrote:

Hi, All:

Thanks for any insight!

Adam

The bit I've underlined says there is no electronic communication between lens and body. Obvious thing is to make sure all the contacts are clean.  If you've done that, it's just a question of is it the lens or body and send one in for repair.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +2 more

Thanks.  I quickly wiped the body contacts, but will clean them more thoroughly when I get a chance and see if that helps.  Again, the body is working with my other lenses, but it’s worth a shot.  Tried removing the battery and waiting. No dice.  Don’t want to reset, as it’s a pain to re-adjust everything, but maybe I’ll try that on the plane!

MightyMike wrote:

Sounds like a communication problem, you might consider checking of the screws on the mount plate are tight, if that does nothing for you it will have to be serviced

Yeah, lens and camera side.

But don't you need a JIS screwdriver for that? AFAIK using Philips ones can damage the screws.

Alex

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,680

Labe wrote:

The AF system in this lens is not the same as the failure prone SDM.

Wheatfield7 wrote:

Labe wrote:

The AF system in this lens is not the same as the failure prone SDM.

Indeed. The AF system is definitely not the same - see the image below - and the symptoms are not those of a SDM failure (but of lens-body communication failure). The AF motor is almost certainly fine.

New ring-type SDM vs. the old SDM micromotor

Alex

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,783

Adam007 wrote:

Hi, All:

Thanks for any insight!

Adam

When mounted does it act like a K/M lens (M mode only) or an A lenses (M, Av, Tv, P modes)?

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax K-70 +32 more
Re: Dead AF on DFA* 1.4. FIXED

So, I tried cleaning the contacts again.  I noticed one of the two gold contacts on the lens was bent in the wrong direction (outward).  I pressed it back into place, and voila!  It looks like this:

Look closely at the contact on the left (just above the screw).

Two things:  I assume this got bent while changing the lens, but I’ve changed lenses a zillion times, and this seems a bit unlucky. Also, I’m a little surprised there is no redundancy here; this contact is sill sticking out a bit from the lens body, and if it gets jostled again, it might not be such a quick fix.

Thanks to everyone, particularly those who insisted this sounded like a lens-body communication problem.  And if anyone has suggestions about that stray contact (I think it’s best to leave well enough alone, but I don’t know), I’d love to hear from you.

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 1,783
nt - Thumbs up

No text.

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax K-70 +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads