FTZ adapter foot

Started Dec 28, 2018 | Discussions
Laci55
Laci55 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,315
FTZ adapter foot

Is the "foot" of the FTZ adapter detachable? I can see some screws on the bottom...lol...

-- hide signature --

'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...' Kipling
www.imaginestudio.se

Laci55's gear list:Laci55's gear list
Canon EOS R Hasselblad X1D II 50C Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm GFX 100S +20 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,878
Re: FTZ adapter foot

Laci55 wrote:

Is the "foot" of the FTZ adapter detachable?

No. That is assuming you want it to work afterwards.

I can see some screws on the bottom...lol...

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,746

JimKasson wrote:

Laci55 wrote:

Are you sure you are right Jim?

While I cannot see any benefit in removing the screws my speculation is there is a part about 2mm thick that maybe protects the area inside where the tripod screw hole attaches to the main FTZ body.

Removing the part after taking out the 4 screws may be possible.

I do not see any benefit in doing this as the rest of the foot looks like a one piece moulding forming part of the main FTZ body.

Laci55 - why not try it and report back!

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
JimKasson

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Laci55 wrote:

While I cannot see any benefit in removing the screws my speculation is there is a part about 2mm thick that maybe protects the area inside where the tripod screw hole attaches to the main FTZ body.

I do not see any benefit in doing this the rest of the foot looks like a one piece moulding forming part of the FTZ main body.

I was talking about removing the whole foot. I don't see the point of just removing the plate on the bottom.

-- hide signature --

Laci55
OP Laci55 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,315

Thank You Jim! Have a nice day!

-- hide signature --

www.imaginestudio.se

Canon EOS R Hasselblad X1D II 50C Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm GFX 100S +20 more
Laci55

Hi Leonard! I do not have the camera yet... I removed the "foot" from my Metabone V adapter too... I am just like this...lol... It was useless for me... Is there any "functionality" bild into the foot of the FTZ adapter???

-- hide signature --

www.imaginestudio.se

Laci55

Yes Jim! Removing the whole part was my idea...lol...

-- hide signature --

www.imaginestudio.se

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,746

Laci55 wrote:

Is there any "functionality" bild into the foot of the FTZ adapter???

There is a quick release tripod screw thread on the FTZ for better balance of heavier lenses on a tripod.

The FTZ guidance in the Z7 manual suggests a maximum lens weight of 1,300 grams (13.9 ounces) before holding the combination via the lens and not the body.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
Laci55

Thank You for the info Leonard!

-- hide signature --

www.imaginestudio.se

Roy Kikuta Senior Member • Posts: 1,954

JimKasson wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Laci55 wrote:

I do not see any benefit in doing this the rest of the foot looks like a one piece moulding forming part of the FTZ main body.

I was talking about removing the whole foot. I don't see the point of just removing the plate on the bottom.

Hi, Jim: I'm addressing this to you and not the OP because I had a question about the foot as well. I wondered whether it was possible for some 3rd party vendor to design a more streamlined adapter - sans foot - since I have no use for yet another tripod attachment point - or perhaps there was more to the foot than at first thought... then I remembered that I still had my FT1 adapter from the 1 Nikon system! I decided to do a dissection to see what I could learn - perhaps towards applying knowledge thus gained towards a question I had regarding the FTZ adapter.

Nikon 1 FT1 adapter. Pardon the dust...must remember to dust off before closeups!

Bottom of FT1

Bottom cover plate removed with 4 screws

Portion of foot removed with 3 screws

closeup reveals something that looks like a motor - and a geared cog as well

A look inside the maw of the FT1 shows a lever at about the right depth for the geared cog. Perhaps actuates the aperture lever on G/D lenses?

Of course - not having an FTZ adapter, I can't say whether it's constructed along the same lines or not - but it seems reasonable. Looks like the foot of the adapter is for more than providing a tripod socket. Could it be possible to design a perfectly round adapter without the knobby foot if compatibility with all except "E" (electronic aperture) lenses were a design decision?

Lastly, apologies if this has been discussed before - I'm a lurker in this forum and haven't read many posts to date!

Aloha,

Roy

Peter Jonas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,994
Re: Not removable, because it is not just a foot: FTZ adapter foot

Thanks Roy,

Very educational.

I was always sure that what appears to be a tripod mount on the FTZ adapter is actually a housing for the aperture actuator mechanism. The tripod mount is just a side benefit.

Thus, the "tripod mount" on the FTZ cannot be removed.

This is quite contrary to what is on the Metabones adapter, which is just a lump of metal and is indeed removable.

Roy Kikuta wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Laci55 wrote:

Hi, Jim: I'm addressing this to you and not the OP because I had a question about the foot as well. I wondered whether it was possible for some 3rd party vendor to design a more streamlined adapter - sans foot - since I have no use for yet another tripod attachment point - or perhaps there was more to the foot than at first thought... then I remembered that I still had my FT1 adapter from the 1 Nikon system! I decided to do a dissection to see what I could learn - perhaps towards applying knowledge thus gained towards a question I had regarding the FTZ adapter.

Nikon 1 FT1 adapter. Pardon the dust...must remember to dust off before closeups!

Bottom of FT1

A look inside the maw of the FT1 shows a lever at about the right depth for the geared cog. Perhaps actuates the aperture lever on G/D lenses?

Of course - not having an FTZ adapter, I can't say whether it's constructed along the same lines or not - but it seems reasonable. Looks like the foot of the adapter is for more than providing a tripod socket. Could it be possible to design a perfectly round adapter without the knobby foot if compatibility with all except "E" (electronic aperture) lenses were a design decision?

Lastly, apologies if this has been discussed before - I'm a lurker in this forum and haven't read many posts to date!

Aloha,

Roy

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Peter Jonas's gear list:Peter Jonas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
JimKasson

Roy Kikuta wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Laci55 wrote:

Bottom of FT1

That's pretty interesting. I love teardowns.

Thanks,

Jim

-- hide signature --

ThomasH_always Regular Member • Posts: 331

Thank you for doing it! This is the only place where I found any images of the adapter interior and the aperture lever control unit.  Of course, when we look at the epic Sony LA-EA5, we know that Nikon could do a similar adapter to the EA5.  The FTZ collides with the tripod plates and causes this "warthog look" with Z bodies, we know all that. But we also suspect that this might collide with the vertical grip.

ThomasH_always's gear list:ThomasH_always's gear list
Panasonic ZS200
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,409

Laci55 wrote:

Is the "foot" of the FTZ adapter detachable? I can see some screws on the bottom...lol...

The "foot" is not removable.  The screws on the bottom are for the 1/4" thick base plate.  It is nothing like the Metabones.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,020

Note: that was a tear down of the 1-Series FT1 adapter, not the Z-Series FTZ adapter. What he saw there may not have anything at all to do with what’s underneath the tripod plate of the FTZ.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Laci55

Thank You so much! Unfortunately I sold all my Nikon gear now and shooting with Hasselblad and Canon.Have a nice day!

-- hide signature --

www.imaginestudio.se

Boudewijn van der Drift Contributing Member • Posts: 592

JimKasson wrote:

Laci55 wrote:

I can see some screws on the bottom...lol...

On top of that we have now a firmware update for the FTZ.

Was a surprise for me, but that must mean there is a CPU in there with it's supporting electronics. As circuitboards are preferably rectangular, probably inside that foot.

That adapter is not so dumb as I had thought it is. All the more cynical of Nikon not to include the D-lens screwdriver.

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,529

Boudewijn van der Drift wrote:

Was a surprise for me, but that must mean there is a CPU in there with it's supporting electronics. As circuitboards are preferably rectangular, probably inside that foot.

The FTZ is certainly not simple. The difficulty is to merry 1959-style mechanical aperture control to a 21st-century mirrorless body that has a wide mount with all electronic controls.

That adapter is not so dumb as I had thought it is. All the more cynical of Nikon not to include the D-lens screwdriver.

Why? Isn't the current FTZ already complicated enough as it is? And if you need to add yet another motor strong enough to drive AF on some fairly big lenses, such as the various versions of the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF and AF-D, not to mention two versions of 300mm/f2.8 with screwdriver AF, it will be even more complicated and bulky. And some people will be quick to complain that such AF is too slow.

For me, actually I want something simpler without the aperture control. I.e. an FTZ adapter only for AF-S E lenses, such as the two PF lenses, 200-500mm/f5.6, and the current E super tels.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,224

PLShutterbug wrote:

Note: that was a tear down of the 1-Series FT1 adapter, not the Z-Series FTZ adapter. What he saw there may not have anything at all to do with what’s underneath the tripod plate of the FTZ.

It appears to be quite similar.
Here's a picture of an opened FTZ, posted by olyflyer some time ago:

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Boudewijn van der Drift Contributing Member • Posts: 592

shuncheung wrote:

Boudewijn van der Drift wrote:

The FTZ is certainly not simple. The difficulty is to merry 1959-style mechanical aperture control to a 21st-century mirrorless body that has a wide mount with all electronic controls.

Why? Isn't the current FTZ already complicated enough as it is? And if you need to add yet another motor strong enough to drive AF on some fairly big lenses, such as the various versions of the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF and AF-D, not to mention two versions of 300mm/f2.8 with screwdriver AF, it will be even more complicated and bulky. And some people will be quick to complain that such AF is too slow.

For me, actually I want something simpler without the aperture control. I.e. an FTZ adapter only for AF-S E lenses, such as the two PF lenses, 200-500mm/f5.6, and the current E super tels.

Well, maybe I am asking much. But such a "difficult motor" with it's gears etc. is already present in most DSLR's (including the D-760 I believe), driving it seems mostly firmware to me, also already existing in these DSLR's.

And the 105/2 D-lens is still being sold new, not sure of being produced. And is as sharp as any S-lens.

I can still hear your president Kennedy say: "not because it is easy...".

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads