Still worth buying a new D500?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,444
Re: More dead?

greenmanphoto wrote:

brianric wrote:

David Lal wrote:

brianric wrote:

In five years I could be dead or more ...

I am struggling to understand the concept of 'more dead' - for me it is too early in the morning for such difficult ideas!

Brian, I hope you are not in as bad a way as your post indicates but anyway, I agree with you, if one has the money, yes, buy or do whatever gives pleasure (although, I have to confess, I am pretty frugal).

I'm 69 and in poor health. I have advancing Parkinson's, A-Fib, and I'm a type 2 diabetic. I'm the only one (so far) in my family who has not had cancer, Mother, father, brother died of cancer, two sisters had breast cancer. I and both sisters tested positive for brca 2 cancer gene mutation.

Brian,

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Best of luck to you, in whatever form that may need to take.

Take care, enjoy photography and life while you can,

Sam

I intend to, Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's; more and likely had it three years prior. In 2017 I shot 85,000 pictures, delivered 16,000 to my clients (volunteer charity photographer). Last year I shot 100,000 pictures and delivered 25,000 to my clients, Mind you that Parkinson's is slowing my mobility dramatically.

I shoot for American Cancer Society, March of Dimes, MS, Autism Speaks, National PTSD Foundation, and Ambassador Christian Academy in Glassboro NJ sports, events and Church photographer. All of my clients accommodate with me on my disabilities. One client, Fairless Hills PA Relay for Life will hold up their various activities to wait until I can get into position to get the shot. They even eliminated the "ribbon shot" where I has to climb up the stadium stairs and lean over to get the shot. I offered to let someone else to use my camera to get the shot. Their response was they only want "my shots", so even if I have to use a walker rollator to get around I intend to keep shooting their Relay for Life as long as God lets me. Here is what I'm taking about the "ribbon shot".

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 +28 more
johnbaby New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Still worth buying a new D500?

I just purchased a D500 late last year during the free grip promotion. Couldn't be happier thus far. I wanted something tough and versatile (I'm a college student shooting for my school paper in upstate New York - very rough winters), but I also couldn't afford to break the bank (college student, lol).

Aside from maybe the X-T3, I can't think of another camera that would have given me this type of value for money. My humble opinion is that anyone who picks up a D500 today will get several very happy years out of it.

THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 244

I'd just buy the camera. I've decided to pass on the A7III as I shoot Sony as well and add the D500 with a few zoom lenses. Zero start up lag even from a sleep, nice big OVF, awesome build and amazing AF that tackles back lit subjects with ease. No issues with rack focusing, AF points all over the frame and comfy in the hands. Obviously a bit of weight to carry around, but man- what a value. I can't blame Nikon for not dropping the price much- they don't have to. Nothing really touches it for overall value and performance.

THKPIC's gear list:THKPIC's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1
steven gaspari Regular Member • Posts: 229

I picked up a d500 in December with grip and have been using it with a 200-500 ...I am wowed by the combo.

Before getting it, I went through lots of galleries with that setup and I thought...sure, these people are good and that's why the photos are outstanding. Well, they are good photographers but with some practice and normal conditions this cam setup really performs well.

The file sizes are good(compared to my 810), colors are excellent, and a little post processing turns good into excellent. I haven't run into noise issues to date. I shoot manual with auto iso and speeds of 1700 or more. Exposure seems accurate and I cut it by a third of a stop with white birds to preserve feather detail.

I'll give it another month before I make final judgement but for now I'm pleased.

steven gaspari's gear list:steven gaspari's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
starbase218 Regular Member • Posts: 440

Mark A wrote:

I’ve been holding off on getting one, but would really like to. Figured that two years after launch the cost would have dropped a lot.

But, the D500 has been out for over two years. And, the price hasn’t dropped much. Think Nikon will release an upgraded version? Or drop the price?

Is it worth buying one new now?

Thanks!

Honestly, from the topic title I figured this may have to do with mirrorless. But then, the D500 is probably still at or very near the top in performance cameras, besting many if not all mirrorless cameras. Which is probably also the reason the price hasn't dropped a lot.

If you want a cheaper one, maybe look on the used market?

starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +2 more
ashkh New Member • Posts: 3

I am in the same boat. Saw one D500 for $800 in local Craigslist with 50k clicks on the shutter. I've a hard time controlling my impulse to get it.

THKPIC Regular Member • Posts: 244

I just bought a D700 but may add a D500 soon. I'll wait till I can get one for around 1k with less than 20k on the shutter. Would love a D850 but that price is ...just a smidge to much. I can wait:)

THKPIC's gear list:THKPIC's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,080

If I felt that I needed a D500, I would buy one, today. We bought two D500 cameras in late 2017, the first for my wife, shortly after we were visited by a storm named Harvey. In November 2017, I bought a second D500, during a Nikon USA promotion that included a free Nikon vertical/battery grip, because my wife wanted to try a vertical grip, and I wanted to try the new AF system. We, yes, the new Nikon AF was notably better than anything I had previously used, which included my 7D II and D3s cameras.

After I added my D5, in early 2018, financed by a cheque* for my considerable amount of unused “comp time,” after retirement, it made sense for our second D500 to become my wife’s second camera, as she had always liked using pairs of identical cameras. I was going to add yet another D500, but then the D850 shortage eased, enabling my wife to get her D850 in March, and I got my D850 in late July. Until the moment I bought my D850, I had it would be another D500, instead.

Even though having so many camera bodies is becoming an extravagance, there are times I feel a need for the combination of mobility, nimbleness, and frame rate of a D500, with a lens such as my 80-400G. Today was one of those days. I may well add a D500 in 2019. A D500, with a Nikkor 80-400G, is a Goldilocksian “just-right” combination.

*This particular money could not be “rolled” into any tax-deferred savings plan.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +44 more
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,075

Rexgig0 wrote:

If I felt that I needed a D500, I would buy one, today. We bought two D500 cameras in late 2017, the first for my wife, shortly after we were visited by a storm named Harvey. In November 2017, I bought a second D500, during a Nikon USA promotion that included a free Nikon vertical/battery grip, because my wife wanted to try a vertical grip, and I wanted to try the new AF system. We, yes, the new Nikon AF was notably better than anything I had previously used, which included my 7D II and D3s cameras.

After I added my D5, in early 2018, financed by a cheque* for my considerable amount of unused “comp time,” after retirement, it made sense for our second D500 to become my wife’s second camera, as she had always liked using pairs of identical cameras. I was going to add yet another D500, but then the D850 shortage eased, enabling my wife to get her D850 in March, and I got my D850 in late July. Until the moment I bought my D850, I had it would be another D500, instead.

Even though having so many camera bodies is becoming an extravagance, there are times I feel a need for the combination of mobility, nimbleness, and frame rate of a D500, with a lens such as my 80-400G. Today was one of those days. I may well add a D500 in 2019. A D500, with a Nikkor 80-400G, is a Goldilocksian “just-right” combination.

*This particular money could not be “rolled” into any tax-deferred savings plan.

Holy-moley Rex! ... I'll have to add a couple of x's to my gear justification formula just for you!

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +2 more
angeC Junior Member • Posts: 40

*The D500 is the best APS-C camera.

-- hide signature --

“You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don’t worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” — Walter Hagen

angeC's gear list:angeC's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
Mick353 Forum Member • Posts: 86

Doug Haag wrote:

Mark A wrote:

I’ve been holding off on getting one, but would really like to. Figured that two years after launch the cost would have dropped a lot.

But, the D500 has been out for over two years. And, the price hasn’t dropped much. Think Nikon will release an upgraded version? Or drop the price?

Thanks!

What camera do you have now that you would be replacing with a D500?

Looking at your posting history (participated in just 3 previous threads since joining DPR in 2010) it doesn't appear that you are deeply invested in this hobby. In 2015, you started a thread almost identical to this one that expressed interest in buying a D750. Is that what you are shooting now?

What an idiotic statement Doug..

I have participated bugger all here yet made over a 100K (With the D500) over the past 12 months on top of my daytime job mind you.

Doug you're a typical arrogant try hard photographer with average skills trying to put others down..

CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,101

brianric wrote:

Badwater wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

If you're waiting fro a cheap deal on a new camera, hold off longer. After all, if the low price is your main goal, by this holiday season 2019 I'm sure the price will drop below the D750 price or be at least the same price as the D750. You've waited this long, a few more months or years will save you some money.

With mirrorless being the new standard for what Nikon is trying to achieve, I highly doubt there will be any more DSLRs made. One sure way to know is look at photokina and CES to see if Nikon is making any ground breaking presentations of new DSLRs for 2019 or 2020. If you don't see the hype on the Nikon rumors, it's unlikely DSLR will continue.
But the good news is, if you like the Nikon brand, and have invested in it, Nikon should come out with a pro DX mirrorless as their first flagship DX mirrorless in a year or 2. But, as you know, nobody gets it right the first time. So you can expect the new flagship DX to have major improvements over their first line of Z cameras in performance. And, by then they should have a few fast f/2.8 zooms out too.
But they will be pricy, And you'll need to wait or save up for at least 3 to 5 years before you can afford one. Or until the price drops enough for it to be an option. Hey, but you made it this far waiting, a few more years won't hurt to save a few hundred bucks.

In five years I could be dead or more and likely be incapacitated from Parkinson's. I have a D500 and my advice to the OP is to get the D500 and enjoy using it to take pictures like I do. I plan on wearing out my D500 where I'll have to get a shutter replacement. At that time if I'm still able to take pictures I'll either buy another D500 or if Nikon got something better in the DX line that has the AF-C focusing capabilities of the D500 go for that. Don't get me wrong, I love my Olympus E-M1 Mk II, but when it comes to covering finish lines at bike-a-thons I grab the D500 to do the job. Life is too sweet and short not to enjoy to its fullest.

Well said.  And I'm so sorry about your health issues, that's really tough.  But hang in there and enjoy your photography as long as possible.

-- hide signature --
 CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads