You did it say what pictures you take

Best deal is D750

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
40 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +17 more
Andrew in Norway
Andrew in Norway Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Still worth buying a new D500?

What features do you want on a potential successor that the D500 does not offer?

If you want a D500, but don't want to pay the full price, buy a refurbished one or check out the used market. I was lucky in finding a D500 with 115 (one hundred and fifteen) actuations. The original buyer had returned it to the shop after three days. I saved £550 over the new price.

-- hide signature --

- Andrew from Norway

Andrew in Norway's gear list:Andrew in Norway's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II +4 more
FingerPainter Senior Member • Posts: 7,623

Mark A wrote:

nipprdog wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Figured that two years after launch the cost would have dropped a lot.

WHY??????

Because the technology is 3 years old.? Like a laptop, phone, etc., should/will the price drop?

The price of products made with "old'' technology only drops if a competitor makes something better with newer technology. The D500  remains the best action camera with a sensor smaller than FX, so what incentive does NIkon have to lower the price or replace the model?

I’m not trying to make this an “is this camera right for me thread.” I’m just trying to figure out If past strategies for Nikon have been to drop prices after a certain amount of time.

They have, but only when there was a reason to do so. There is no apparent reason to do so for the D500. Expect to only see a significant price drop for the D500 only when there is a better alternative product available from a competitor. One might be coming in 2019 from Sony.

Thanks.

greenmanphoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,839

Mark A wrote:

I’ve been holding off on getting one, but would really like to. Figured that two years after launch the cost would have dropped a lot.

But, the D500 has been out for over two years. And, the price hasn’t dropped much. Think Nikon will release an upgraded version? Or drop the price?

Is it worth buying one new now?

Thanks!

Mark,

If the D500 was worth buying 6 months or more ago, why wouldn't it be worth buying now? Are there shots you CAN'T get unless you have that D500? Then it's worth buying now. The price hasn't dropped all that much because it is still selling fairly well. Not as good as initially, no. But there's still nothing else quite comparable to it on the market just yet. Canon will PROBABLY equal it, in at least some ways, relatively soon, but I don't think they have done so, yet. Nikon MAY be introducing a replacement soon, when they announce the D6, as the D500 and D5 were announced together. But, there's no guarantee of that, and to be honest, I've not seen ANYTHING to indicate they will do so. Of course, there was also NOTHING to indicate the D500 was coming when it DID come, so...

Point being that if the D500 fills your needs, then buy it. Even if there IS a replacement announced along with the D6, it's VERY hard to tell when it will be available in large enough numbers. And, just to be clear, the replacement MIGHT be a mirrorless model, as well. I SERIOUSLY doubt that to be the case just yet, but it IS a possibility.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,421

greenmanphoto wrote:

Mark A wrote:

I’ve been holding off on getting one, but would really like to. Figured that two years after launch the cost would have dropped a lot.

But, the D500 has been out for over two years. And, the price hasn’t dropped much. Think Nikon will release an upgraded version? Or drop the price?

Thanks!

Mark,

If the D500 was worth buying 6 months or more ago, why wouldn't it be worth buying now? Are there shots you CAN'T get unless you have that D500? Then it's worth buying now. The price hasn't dropped all that much because it is still selling fairly well. Not as good as initially, no. But there's still nothing else quite comparable to it on the market just yet. Canon will PROBABLY equal it, in at least some ways, relatively soon, but I don't think they have done so, yet. Nikon MAY be introducing a replacement soon, when they announce the D6, as the D500 and D5 were announced together. But, there's no guarantee of that, and to be honest, I've not seen ANYTHING to indicate they will do so. Of course, there was also NOTHING to indicate the D500 was coming when it DID come, so...

Point being that if the D500 fills your needs, then buy it. Even if there IS a replacement announced along with the D6, it's VERY hard to tell when it will be available in large enough numbers. And, just to be clear, the replacement MIGHT be a mirrorless model, as well. I SERIOUSLY doubt that to be the case just yet, but it IS a possibility.

Sam

If the replacement is mirrorless I doubt it will have the capabilities of AF-C focusing of the D500.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D500 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +27 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,837

Mark A wrote:

[snip]... the D500 has been out for over two years. And, the price hasn’t dropped much. Think Nikon will release an upgraded version? Or drop the price?

Presumably, you're interested in the D500 for sports, birds, wildlife or some other form of fast action photography. Right now in the US, you can get a D500 priced $100 below retail with a free battery grip included. That's well-over $400 off full retail for those items. It's a great deal on an outstanding camera.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more

brianric wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

Mark,

Sam

If the replacement is mirrorless I doubt it will have the capabilities of AF-C focusing of the D500.

Brian,

Doubtful it would, true. But, I also don't think they're going fully mirrorless for quite a while. I think there's at least ONE more generation of DSLR in Nikon with the higher-level cameras. I also think a higher-level set of Z cameras are coming out soon, but there are...issues with them fully replacing a high-end DSLR just yet that are not quite worked out. Supplement, yes. Replace? No. Not yet.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more

greenmanphoto wrote:

brianric wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

Mark,

Sam

Brian,

Doubtful it would, true. But, I also don't think they're going fully mirrorless for quite a while. I think there's at least ONE more generation of DSLR in Nikon with the higher-level cameras. I also think a higher-level set of Z cameras are coming out soon, but there are...issues with them fully replacing a high-end DSLR just yet that are not quite worked out. Supplement, yes. Replace? No. Not yet.

Sam

Don't get me wrong, I love my E-M1 Mk II and would prefer to use it on all of my shoots, but I have some shoots that I need the AF-C responsiveness of my D500. Another factor that gets the nod towards my choosing the D500 over my E-M1.2 is that it doesn't overheat under heavy loads and high temperatures, IE85 degrees F or higher.

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D500 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +27 more

brianric wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

brianric wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

Mark,

Sam

Brian,

Sam

Don't get me wrong, I love my E-M1 Mk II and would prefer to use it on all of my shoots, but I have some shoots that I need the AF-C responsiveness of my D500. Another factor that gets the nod towards my choosing the D500 over my E-M1.2 is that it doesn't overheat under heavy loads and high temperatures, IE85 degrees F or higher.

Brian,

Yes, back when I was still waiting for a D300 replacement, I briefly considered getting something else every now and then. However, I really couldn't find anything else that suited me, whether in Nikon's own lineup or in another manufacturer's lineup, that was within my budget.

I WANT to like Olympus and some of their cameras, but they just don't quite do it for me. I started shooting with Pentax in 1980, using a K1000 35mm film SLR, and eventually getting an ME-Super Program. I sort of have a soft spot for them, and thought about getting one of their bodies. However, the lack of the ability to use any of existing lenses in ANY way steered me away from them, as well. I must admit, though, that if there WAS an adapter for a Nikon lens on a Pentax body, I very likely would've bought a Pentax at some point. Then Nikon announced the D500, and all was good, again. I wouldn't have switched to Pentax, or anyone else, but rather supplemented until something better came along from Nikon.

I shot with a Fuji X-T1, and I liked it quite a bit. I decided that IF I was going to supplement my existing Nikon lineup, it would be with a Fuji body. I like their lenses, their bodies, and where they seem to be going, and the fact they're letting people KNOW where they're going. And I may yet supplement with a Fuji, or POSSIBLY a Z series, but not until I have all of my bases covered pretty well with my Nikon gear, or I become too enfeebled to carry it.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,322

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

The D500 is a great camera.  If you're shooting style is suited to it (action, BIF, sports etc.) then I wouldn't hesitate to buy if the money is available.  You always have the option as has been suggested of buying a good quality second hand unit.  Of course other than the shooting styles I've mentioned the D500 can handle pretty much anything as it's just so good.  I have been very happy and hugely impressed with mine.

redhed17
redhed17 Senior Member • Posts: 1,799

greenmanphoto wrote:

brianric wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

Mark,

Sam

Brian,

Sam

If rumours are true, then Nikon could be way behind Sony with a crop sensor mirrorless as they are with the FF mirrorless.

I'm not sure they will do a D500 replacement, or mirrorless DX camera any time soon, never mind a fast DX mirrorless camera. Either way they could lose a lot of sales to Sony by default.

-- hide signature --

Redhed17
My hair is not red, and I am sadly way past 17. LoL
http://500px.com/redhed17

redhed17's gear list:redhed17's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,793
Quick, better get on to ...

redhed17 wrote:

I'm not sure they will do a D500 replacement, or mirrorless DX camera any time soon, never mind a fast DX mirrorless camera. Either way they could lose a lot of sales to Sony by default.

.. Masashi Oka on the Nikon board. He may be unaware of the situation you describe and may be grateful for your insight.

There again, maybe not.

Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,837

redhed17 wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

brianric wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

Mark,

Sam

Brian,

Sam

If rumours are true, then Nikon could be way behind Sony with a crop sensor mirrorless as they are with the FF mirrorless.

Sony has absolutely nothing in an APS-C body comparable to the D500. The closest APS-C competitor is the Fuji X-T3, which is limited by Fuji's lack of serious sports and wildlife lenses. You have to take lens selection into account when evaluating a system and the array of options - both consumer and professional - available to the D500 simply leaves any mirrorless pretenders in the dust. The D500 remains unsurpassed as the best APS-C sports & wildlife camera body on the planet. It's not going to be obsoleted by anything Nikon or anyone else releases for the next five years or more.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,322

Bill Ferris wrote:

redhed17 wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

brianric wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Mark A wrote:

Thanks!

Mark,

Sam

Brian,

Sam

Sony has absolutely nothing in an APS-C body comparable to the D500. The closest APS-C competitor is the Fuji X-T3, which is limited by Fuji's lack of serious sports and wildlife lenses. You have to take lens selection into account when evaluating a system and the array of options - both consumer and professional - available to the D500 simply leaves any mirrorless pretenders in the dust. The D500 remains unsurpassed as the best APS-C sports & wildlife camera body on the planet. It's not going to be obsoleted by anything Nikon or anyone else releases for the next five years or more.

I couldn't agree more.  Well said.

calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,676

I consider it the best APS-C camera you can buy at this time. Better than any DX alternatives. Given a choice between a D500 and a D850 I would go with the D850 but then again this camera costs a great deal more and requires an expensive battery grip and EN-EL18a batteries to provide 9 fps while the stock D500 provides 10 fps with only the EN-EL15 and no battery grip needed.

The gain with the D500 over the D7200 or D7500 is in the area of autofocus performance. In all other respects I prefer the D7200, in particular its having the in-camera Commander flash.

Factor in the cost of XQD cards for the D500 as they are still expensive.

-- hide signature --

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. -- Herman Melville

calson wrote:

<snipped> Factor in the cost of XQD cards for the D500 as they are still expensive.

True, but a couple of 32GB cards should do most people just fine, particularly if you don't shoot in RAW, for some odd reason. And, hopefully, with Delkin and Nikon selling XQD cards, as well, they'll start going down some. We'll see on that last bit, though.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

redhed17
Re: Quick, better get on to ...

David Lal wrote:

redhed17 wrote:

.. Masashi Oka on the Nikon board. He may be unaware of the situation you describe and may be grateful for your insight.

There again, maybe not.

Oh are we not allowed an opinion now! :-/ Do I ever assume that Nikon read threads in forums on the internet, and particularly here! Of course not.

The D500 is currently the best overall cropped sensor camera, imho, with regards especially to AF, FPS and Buffer, and in other aspects it is normally quite close to being on a par or better than the opposition. That is why it is keeping it's price close to the release price in some country's.

How long this situation stays this way it is questionable, imho. 'If' the Sony a7000 specs I linked to are close to accurate, and it has the AF performance close to the a9, then this could push the D500 as the best overall cropped sensor camera, especially as now Sony is filling out their lens line up.

Now for some it is DSLR or nothing, for some it is Nikon or nothing, but Nikon are not #1, and we are told that mirrorless are the future, and the market shifting towards mirrorless seems to confirm that will be the case at some point.

If Nikon stick with the D500 as their performance crop sensor option for as long as the time between the D300S and the D500, it could be as dated as those two cameras are in comparison to whatever the opposition brings out. Their first foray into FF mirrorless doesn't fill me with confidence that they could do a mirrorless version of a crop mirrorless camera towards the D500 level. It's taken Sony three versions to get to a point where their FF mirrorless are a viable alternative to DSLRs for a lot of people.

It is just opinion of course. I have no expectation of what I say ever showing up on Nikon's radar. I am just putting forward an opinion on a forum set up for people to discuss things.

But to those that think that a manufacturer always knows better, no company is big enough to fail.

-- hide signature --

Redhed17

Sony RX100 III Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,793
As I said ...

redhed17 wrote:

David Lal wrote:

redhed17 wrote:

There again, maybe not.

Oh are we not allowed an opinion now! :-/ Do I ever assume that Nikon read threads in forums on the internet, and particularly here! Of course not.

The D500 is currently the best overall cropped sensor camera, imho, with regards especially to AF, FPS and Buffer, and in other aspects it is normally quite close to being on a par or better than the opposition. That is why it is keeping it's price close to the release price in some country's.

How long this situation stays this way it is questionable, imho. 'If' the Sony a7000 specs I linked to are close to accurate, and it has the AF performance close to the a9, then this could push the D500 as the best overall cropped sensor camera, especially as now Sony is filling out their lens line up.

Now for some it is DSLR or nothing, for some it is Nikon or nothing, but Nikon are not #1, and we are told that mirrorless are the future, and the market shifting towards mirrorless seems to confirm that will be the case at some point.

If Nikon stick with the D500 as their performance crop sensor option for as long as the time between the D300S and the D500, it could be as dated as those two cameras are in comparison to whatever the opposition brings out. Their first foray into FF mirrorless doesn't fill me with confidence that they could do a mirrorless version of a crop mirrorless camera towards the D500 level. It's taken Sony three versions to get to a point where their FF mirrorless are a viable alternative to DSLRs for a lot of people.

It is just opinion of course. I have no expectation of what I say ever showing up on Nikon's radar. I am just putting forward an opinion on a forum set up for people to discuss things.

But to those that think that a manufacturer always knows better, no company is big enough to fail.

Get in touch quickly with Nikon's Board of Directors to share your valuable opinion with the people who matter.

Re: Quick, better get on to ...

redhed17 wrote:

Far from it. I can think of two reasons why this won't happen. Mirrorless cameras have a tendency to overheat under heavy and prolong use in high temperatures, and Sony still can't match Nikon when it comes to weather sealing.

redhed17
Re: As I said ...

David Lal wrote:

Get in touch quickly with Nikon's Board of Directors to share your valuable opinion with the people who matter.

Where did I say that my opinion is valuable? It is the same as yours, an opinion from a nobody on a forum on the internet.

If you don't want to discuss things, don't visit forums. If you just want to have cheap shots and attempt to belittle someone, you need more time in troll school to get better at it. :-/

-- hide signature --

Redhed17

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads