Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
Re: JPG about 1/2 size from Photoshop

Roland_d wrote:

I installed it on CS6 without problem

slow but works fine

JPG are much smaller vs SPP. I suppose there's a quality loss

rd

Roland,

Can you spell out clearly how you did it please. I have tried but cannot get it to work.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD10 +3 more
Re: New X3F plug-in for Photoshop

Johan Borg wrote:

Ceistinne wrote:

Martin JC wrote:

Johan Borg wrote:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/4126891677/sigma-releases-sigma-x3f-plug-in-for-photoshop-raw-conversion-plugin-for-photoshop

Does this work with stand alone LR or PS? Don't seem to be able to get it to work....

Martin JC,

Wondering if some way could be found to make it work with standalone CS6 or CS5. It should be simple enough for someone to amend the code to suit those earlier CSs. It seems to be just a very basic plugin.

There's an interesting comment from fotorabe here:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4126891677/sigma-releases-sigma-x3f-plug-in-for-photoshop-raw-conversion-plugin-for-photoshop?comment=0481767329

I just now successfully installed X3F-Plug-in for PS CS6. Only redirected the installation to a new sub-folder "Sigma" in the CS6-Plug-in-folder. While opening X3F-Files you have to "import" files using the "Sigma X3F plug-in for Photoshop".

Johan,

Thanks for the info.  I have tried it but cannot get it to work. Can you spell out how you did it please. Obviously I am doing something incorrectly.

S

Roland_d Regular Member • Posts: 310

Ceistinne wrote:

Roland_d wrote:

slow but works fine

rd

Roland,

Can you spell out clearly how you did it please. I have tried but cannot get it to work.

S

during the Install process,

- it stops before installing the plug-in in a CC folder,

- just over this folder is a CS6 folder

- you chose this CS6 folder  and that's it !

the path:

C:\Programs\Common files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS6 (instead of CC)

X3F are opened under      Files -- Import -- Sigma…

(since my computer is in French, not abolutely sure of the spelling of folders but it about that)

rd

Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 11,919

Long overdue.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Roland_d wrote:

Ceistinne wrote:

Roland_d wrote:

slow but works fine

rd

Roland,

S

during the Install process,

- it stops before installing the plug-in in a CC folder,

- just over this folder is a CS6 folder

- you chose this CS6 folder and that's it !

the path:

C:\Programs\Common files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS6 (instead of CC)

X3F are opened under Files -- Import -- Sigma…

(since my computer is in French, not abolutely sure of the spelling of folders but it about that)

rd

Roland,

Thank you. I will try that later.

S

adegroot Senior Member • Posts: 2,953

Does it work with Photoshop Elements?

-- hide signature --

For me the joy of photography is in the prints I make myself.

adegroot's gear list:adegroot's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma SD15 +14 more
LasseS
LasseS Contributing Member • Posts: 622

Yes, Merrill don't do DNG

LasseS's gear list:LasseS's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Samsung NX20 Samsung NX mini +1 more
dellaaa
dellaaa Contributing Member • Posts: 938
I'm missing the point

Sorry but I'm missing the point of this.  It doesn't look like there are any RAW controls other than fill light available, Why would I use this?  To me it looks like it defeats the purpose of shooting RAW.  What am I missing?

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma sd Quattro +6 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 22,651
Re: I'm missing the point

dellaaa wrote:

Sorry but I'm missing the point of this. It doesn't look like there are any RAW controls other than fill light available, Why would I use this? To me it looks like it defeats the purpose of shooting RAW. What am I missing?

It's probably just proof-of-concept, ready to be developed later into something useful.

larryj Forum Pro • Posts: 10,545
SPP Jpeg vs Imported PS Jpeg

Here is a quick look at the new import to PS add-in and the same file processed to jpeg in SPP. The Jpegs are about the same size, 24 MP for the SPP file versus 25 mp for the PS file. You need another browser program to search and select the files to import because e the add-in can not display the files until imported. Once you get the file imported it is nice to process In PS. You can only import 1 file a a time, a bit of a bummer.

I can not wait for an upgrade to this add-in with more functionality

sd Quattro file processed to jpeg in SPP

sd Quattro file imported to PS and processed to jpeg.

Enjoy

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more

Johan & Roland,

Thanks to each of you for your help.

I have it working now in CS6 using "Import" to bring files into Photoshop one at a time only. It is not much faster than working with SPP but I note that the files open into PS as 16 Bits, Colour Space sRGB and at 300 PPI compared to SPPs native 180 PPI. The only control in the Plug In is "Fill Light" which is ok because all the rest can be done in PS.

It is a good innovation and will probably lead on to better, maybe, with the launch of the upcoming  L Mount camera.

S

Roland_d Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: SPP Jpeg vs Imported PS Jpeg - on size

So I did something wrong but dont know what

I tried it onDP2Q file of DPReview (SDIM0089.x3f (SD!M..?) - 55 697Ko, SPP=18245Ko, via Photoshop: standard 13 610Ko, optimized 12626)

may be different on CC

rd

Johan & Roland,

Thanks to each of you for your help.

I have it working now in CS6 using "Import" to bring files into Photoshop one at a time only. It is not much faster than working with SPP but I note that the files open into PS as 16 Bits, Colour Space sRGB and at 300 PPI compared to SPPs native 180 PPI. The only control in the Plug In is "Fill Light" which is ok because all the rest can be done in PS.

It is a good innovation and will probably lead on to better, maybe, with the launch of the upcoming L Mount camera.

Ignore my earlier post headed "Re: JPG about 1/2 size from Photoshop" I think the size is dependent on whether the file is left at 16Bit or changed to 8Bit, users choice.

S

idillic Regular Member • Posts: 165

D Cox wrote:

dellaaa wrote:

Sorry but I'm missing the point of this. It doesn't look like there are any RAW controls other than fill light available, Why would I use this? To me it looks like it defeats the purpose of shooting RAW. What am I missing?

It's probably just proof-of-concept, ready to be developed later into something useful.

How it works is that the plug-in has the XF3 Fill Light command only before it is available to edit in Photoshop (CC).  Once in - you then use the Filter>Camera Raw Filter which gives you all the raw processing commands found in Lightroom.

It works very well in my opinion.  And long overdue too.

idillic's gear list:idillic's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax 645D Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +8 more
larryj Forum Pro • Posts: 10,545

idillic wrote:

D Cox wrote:

dellaaa wrote:

How it works is that the plug-in has the XF3 Fill Light command only before it is available to edit in Photoshop (CC). Once in - you then use the Filter>Camera Raw Filter which gives you all the raw processing commands found in Lightroom.

It works very well in my opinion. And long overdue too.

Thanks idillic: the camera raw filter note really makes this add-in to PS very useful. I complete most of my Sigma images in Lightroom. Via tiff files out of spp. Now I can work with xF3 Raw files in camera raw and when needed use PS for special processing.😎 Thanks again!!!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 11,890
Re: SPP Jpeg vs Imported PS Jpeg

Thank you for those samples Larry. It's interesting that the SPP version shows the clouds so much better, but the PS version seems to have way more micro-contrast (over the top, in my opinion). There appears to be much more detail visible in the PS version, which is quite a surprise. Is that from sharpening that you applied in PS, or from something else?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +21 more
Scottelly

dellaaa wrote:

Most-likely they just added the Fill Light tool for now, because it is a proof of concept plug-in. Having the Fill Light tool means that highlights won't be blown and shadows won't be blocked, if the Fill Light tool is used. Then adjustments can be made in PS after the initial raw processing. It's probably better than using DNG, though I'd like to see a comparison. I don't have PS and refuse to use it, so I can't help there.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +21 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 14,253
Re: SPP Jpeg vs Imported PS Jpeg

larryj wrote:

Here is a quick look at the new import to PS add-in and the same file processed to jpeg in SPP. The Jpegs are about the same size, 24 MP for the SPP file versus 25 mp for the PS file. You need another browser program to search and select the files to import because e the add-in can not display the files until imported. Once you get the file imported it is nice to process In PS. You can only import 1 file a a time, a bit of a bummer.

I can not wait for an upgrade to this add-in with more functionality

sd Quattro file processed to jpeg in SPP

sd Quattro file imported to PS and processed to jpeg.

Enjoy

Thanks for posting this most clear comparison, Larry.

I pixel-peeped and found a considerable different betwixt the two:

To me the images look equally sharp but SPP produced considerably less microcontrast (which some here might prefer, subjectively speakin').

It remains a pity that the cross-hatching effectively halves the Quattro linearresolution, IMHO. In other words, no need to shoot in low res - the high res is already that low.

Nothing like a quick Quattro-bash as the New Year approaches ...

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sigma SD15 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +14 more
dellaaa
dellaaa Contributing Member • Posts: 938

Thank you very much.  I have only been using Photoshop my whole life, I admit I have a huge mental block with PS.

I am an IT guy and find PS repugnant to work with, IMHO it was not designed for photo editing, the newer sw packages like Topaz, RT, ON1 etc. look like pictures and photographers were what they were designed for.

Seems like a roundabout way to do this, PS should have updated ACR directly.

PS I find SPP incredibly unstable on Win 7 and Win 10.  It crashes and requires restart routinely

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma sd Quattro +6 more
Scottelly

dellaaa wrote:

Thank you very much. I have only been using Photoshop my whole life, I admit I have a huge mental block with PS.

I am an IT guy and find PS repugnant to work with, IMHO it was not designed for photo editing, the newer sw packages like Topaz, RT, ON1 etc. look like pictures and photographers were what they were designed for.

Seems like a roundabout way to do this, PS should have updated ACR directly.

PS I find SPP incredibly unstable on Win 7 and Win 10. It crashes and requires restart routinely

Interesting. I haven't heard that sort of thing for a few years. Are you using a new version of SPP or an old version? SPP 6.6.0 and 6.6.1 are extremely stable on the Mac Mini that I use them on, which is running with OSX El Capitan. I've used a few older versions on Windows 7, and it seems stable on that computer, though it's a workstation computer with ECC memory, so it might be a much more stable platform than what your using. I haven't used the Windows 7 machine much, so I can't say how stable SPP is on that machine. I've only used it a few times to run tests and stuff. It's not much faster than the Mac, and since it doesn't have a big hard drive attached and doesn't have USB 3 ports, I don't use it as my main processing machine. If you're using SPP 5.5.3, I'd be interested to know that. A lot of people seem to suggest that as the best version of SPP for processing Merrill raw files, but it it isn't stable, I won't suggest people use that.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads