Fixing maps in Lightroom 6

Started Dec 20, 2018 | Discussions
chicken New Member • Posts: 17
Fixing maps in Lightroom 6

I managed to get the maps in Lightroom 6 working again.

Unlike what Adobe claims, the Google APIs didn't change. What changed is, that Google now charges use of the Google Maps APIs by transaction, i.e. each time you open Maps Adobe has to pay a fraction of a penny to Google. Adobe (understandably) doesn't want to pay Google for users that don't give them money monthly via Lightroom CC, so they let their original API key expire.

Here's my write-up for using your own Google Maps API key instead.

https://github.com/astuder/lightroom-map-fix

Not for the faint of heart and Windows only so far. Input from people that know their way around Macs is very welcome. Warranty void!

PS: I don't think this post violates the forum rule against piracy (#20). This restores paid for software to its original functionality, and any cost incurred (when exceeding Google's monthly limit) is paid by the user. If moderators disagree, I won't object removal of this post.

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 3,097
Re: Fixing maps in Lightroom 6

chicken wrote:

Unlike what Adobe claims, the Google APIs didn't change. What changed is, that Google now charges use of the Google Maps APIs by transaction, i.e. each time you open Maps Adobe has to pay a fraction of a penny to Google. Adobe (understandably) doesn't want to pay Google for users that don't give them money monthly via Lightroom CC, so they let their original API key expire.

Not for the faint of heart and Windows only so far. Input from people that know their way around Macs is very welcome. Warranty void!

PS: I don't think this post violates the forum rule against piracy (#20). This restores paid for software to its original functionality, and any cost incurred (when exceeding Google's monthly limit) is paid by the user. If moderators disagree, I won't object removal of this post.

What about:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps

OP chicken New Member • Posts: 17

pixelgenius wrote:

What about:

A great plugin for geo tagging photos. But unfortunately it only links to external maps and the Google Earth integration for visual tagging is often broken. So not really a replacement for the Maps module.

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 3,097

chicken wrote:

pixelgenius wrote:

What about:

A great plugin for geo tagging photos. But unfortunately it only links to external maps and the Google Earth integration for visual tagging is often broken. So not really a replacement for the Maps module.

Thanks. I'm not really using the older version but have a copy too. If there's a Mac fix, I might be interested.

melvinb Regular Member • Posts: 206

chicken wrote:

I really miss the map module in 6. Does it cost a lot for the Google Maps API?

After posting this, it appears that you covered this.  Sorry.

Very interesting idea.

Thanks

MB

melvinb wrote:

After posting this, it appears that you covered this. Sorry.

Very interesting idea.

Thanks

MB

Sorry for not spelling this out in the original post. The Google Cloud account includes USD 200 in free credits per month, which is equivalent to a few thousand invocations of the Map module. Plenty for free occasional use of the Map module.

chicken wrote:

melvinb wrote:

After posting this, it appears that you covered this. Sorry.

Very interesting idea.

Thanks

MB

Sorry for not spelling this out in the original post. The Google Cloud account includes USD 200 in free credits per month, which is equivalent to a few thousand invocations of the Map module. Plenty for free occasional use of the Map module.

I think you did mention it.

The IT part of this is a little daunting.

Thanks

MB

cnb88 New Member • Posts: 1

Works perfectly. Thx a lot

/cnb88

ewarner New Member • Posts: 13
Mac solution posted in repo issue tracker

Issue #2 at the solution's repo addresses the fix for Mac. Confirmed working on my own computer.

ewarner's gear list:ewarner's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Szumi Contributing Member • Posts: 821

chicken wrote:

Thank you very much. I got it working on the first try.

I used your compiled python script (after I checked it at virustotal) as I don't have python3 installed on this box.

Szumi

Szumi's gear list:Szumi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more

Got my going.  Thank you so much Chicken!!!

Question.  I brought a new Adobe LR disc 6.0.  I forgot to update it to 6.14.  If I update do I lose the map and have to do this over again?

Win. 10

Thanks

MB

I don't know. But I think it's very likely that the Map module will be overwritten as part of the update.

chicken wrote:

I don't know. But I think it's very likely that the Map module will be overwritten as part of the update.

I am sure it would be.

Thanks

MB

Szumi Contributing Member • Posts: 821

melvinb wrote:

Got my going. Thank you so much Chicken!!!

Question. I brought a new Adobe LR disc 6.0. I forgot to update it to 6.14. If I update do I lose the map and have to do this over again?

Win. 10

Thanks

MB

I'd upgrade right now while the procedure to add your own key is fresh in your head.

I need to fire up my laptop that I use for astrophotography and editing away from home and update the module there.

Szumi

Szumi's gear list:Szumi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more

Szumi wrote:

melvinb wrote:

Got my going. Thank you so much Chicken!!!

Question. I brought a new Adobe LR disc 6.0. I forgot to update it to 6.14. If I update do I lose the map and have to do this over again?

Win. 10

Thanks

MB

I'd upgrade right now while the procedure to add your own key is fresh in your head.

I need to fire up my laptop that I use for astrophotography and editing away from home and update the module there.

Szumi

Yes, I agree.

I notice that I have to set my monitor resolution down to 1920 x 1080 to have the mapped sized like it used to be.

Anyone else have this?

Thanks

MB

Chris Dubea
Chris Dubea Senior Member • Posts: 1,826

Thank you very much for going through all this and then sharing with us. I had only just updated my Lightroom from 5.7 to 6 specifically to get the map module and then adobe killed it.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Chris

Chris Dubea's gear list:Chris Dubea's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more

Got LR 6.14 update.  Back in action with map module.  Resolution figured out.

Thank you so much!!

MB

brantspa New Member • Posts: 1

Dear,

Let me start by thanking you for this work, something I expected to receive from Adobe.

I had troubles getting the 6.14 update, I had to reinstall LR and then apply the update I downloaded from the Adobe web.

I used the patchluastr.exe because I'am not a programmer.

Now, running LR I don't see the map sing under my photos. slecting the map module google maps opens but not at the exact location: i must maximise the map, then I see the red scuare showing the place and the I have to zoom in.

Is this correct behaviour or did I make a mistake somewhere.

Thanks for your reaction.

May be related to the geocoding API. Do you see errors briefly popping up?

Did you patch both Lua files? Also make sure that the Geocoding API is enabled on your Google Cloud account.

Chris Dubea
Chris Dubea Senior Member • Posts: 1,826

Chris Dubea wrote:

Thank you very much for going through all this and then sharing with us. I had only just updated my Lightroom from 5.7 to 6 specifically to get the map module and then adobe killed it.

Cheers,

Went through the procedure today. For whatever reason it burped the first time.

Went through it again, more carefully and yea verily it works!

Thanks chicken, you are 'da man!

-- hide signature --

Chris

Chris Dubea's gear list:Chris Dubea's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads