What caused this problem with Sony A77ii LCD?

Started Dec 17, 2018 | Questions
wallewek New Member • Posts: 5
What caused this problem with Sony A77ii LCD?

I had this A77ii for going on 2 years before noticing something strange all around the edges of the LCD screen. I can't figure out what caused it. I got the screen replaced, and I'm looking for protectors, but I'd still like to know.

Was it a defect or did I do something wrong?

What caused this LCD issue?

Have you ever seen anything like this?  Is it a know issue at all?

-- hide signature --

Ken

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,758
Re: What caused this problem with Sony A77ii LCD?

wallewekk wrote:

I had this A77ii for going on 2 years before noticing something strange all around the edges of the LCD screen. I can't figure out what caused it. I got the screen replaced, and I'm looking for protectors, but I'd still like to know.

What caused this LCD issue?

Have you ever seen anything like this? Is it a know issue at all?

I've had 5 sony E-mount APS-C bodies over the last several years and never noticed an issue like that.

-- hide signature --

My policy is to not post images to the 'net.

Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,122

This looks like a TruBlack coating problem. It is quite common. The coating on the LCD is effective but (sadly) also sensitive to damage.

A friend's NEX had the same issue.

Image search on Google: trublack or problem trublack, and you will see many similar ones.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 15,134

wallewekk wrote:

Have you ever seen anything like this?

Absolutely. With one of my own Sonys.

Is it a know issue at all?

Absolutely, Going back to 2011 and earlier.

As mentioned above, it's de-lamination of the top layer of Sony's TruBlack LCD treatment. Nobody knows why some cameras suffer this while others of the same model don't. It might be some environmental thing or exposure to contaminants like sunscreen.

If it bothers you, one solution is to peel the top layer off. It's thick and you need to be careful ... but the surface underneath that is pristine and unaffected.

Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 10,173

Sympa wrote:

This looks like a TruBlack coating problem. It is quite common. The coating on the LCD is effective but (sadly) also sensitive to damage.

Image search on Google: trublack or problem trublack, and you will see many similar ones.

Yes, it happened with one of my early Sony cameras, I think the NEX-7 bought in 2012. I've used glass screen protectors since then.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
uhligfd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,355

Digital Nigel wrote:

Sympa wrote:

Yes, it happened with one of my early Sony cameras, I think the NEX-7 bought in 2012. I've used glass screen protectors since then.

I second this with Sony: when you buy one, have a glass screen saver handy and take off the true black stuff as soon as it arrives and add the  glass screen immediately. Enjoy the camera from then on forever. ...

OP wallewek New Member • Posts: 5

Fascinating.  Thanks!

User6927265519 Regular Member • Posts: 152

Yes I have had a couple of Sony cameras go just like this, in fact knowing from experience that this true black stuff can come of I took the precaution of fitting one of the soft screen protectors on a Nex 6 when I first got it and to be fair it did a good job for a long time but after a lot of use the corner of the screen protector started to lift a little so I decided to replace it with the same type as I thought it had done a good job, but to my horror when I peeled off the screen protector it took half of the true black coating with it leaving an absolute mess just as bad as the one shown, we live and learn I guess.

I would suggest the glass protectors are probably preferable, although I’m not sure how sticky the glass protectors are or if the same thing would have happened had I used one of these instead but the advantage is of course that you shouldn’t need to replace it as it isn’t going to peel at the corners like the soft one did.

BTW I noticed the A6000 I had for a while didn’t have this true black coating on it but the A77 M2 does so it seems like Sony just can’t make their mind if this is coating if worth keeping even though this has been a known problem for a long time.

As to why some experience this problen whilst many others don’t, who knows?

User6927265519's gear list:User6927265519's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a77 II +3 more

User6927265519 wrote:

Yes I have had a couple of Sony cameras go just like this, in fact knowing from experience that this true black stuff can come of I took the precaution of fitting one of the soft screen protectors on a Nex 6 when I first got it and to be fair it did a good job for a long time but after a lot of use the corner of the screen protector started to lift a little so I decided to replace it with the same type as I thought it had done a good job, but to my horror when I peeled off the screen protector it took half of the true black coating with it leaving an absolute mess just as bad as the one shown, we live and learn I guess.

I would suggest the glass protectors are probably preferable, although I’m not sure how sticky the glass protectors are or if the same thing would have happened had I used one of these instead but the advantage is of course that you shouldn’t need to replace it as it isn’t going to peel at the corners like the soft one did.

Having used both, I now always get the glass screen protectors. They outlast the camera without scratching, don't peel off and don't get bubbles. They're easy to apply and cost peanuts.

BTW I noticed the A6000 I had for a while didn’t have this true black coating on it but the A77 M2 does so it seems like Sony just can’t make their mind if this is coating if worth keeping even though this has been a known problem for a long time.

I think the anti-reflective coating works best on TV and computer screens that don't get scratched, but not on cameras that are handled a lot.

As to why some experience this problen whilst many others don’t, who knows?

Rough handling, I guess?

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
moedius
moedius Contributing Member • Posts: 530

wallewekk wrote:

Have you ever seen anything like this? Is it a know issue at all?

My A77II, bought refurbished has this, though it's far less extreme.  I put a tempered glass protector over it, though I didn't realize you could peel the Trublack off first.  I don't know whether there's a negative impact the way I have it set up but it seems fine so I'm not going to worry.

My NEX also has it around the very edges, but it's not too noticeable and the camera will probably die or be replaced long before it's so bad that it's distracting.

-- hide signature --

"Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution" - Sol Lewitt

moedius's gear list:moedius's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +31 more
mirthseeker Regular Member • Posts: 233

Have a look at this video.

OP wallewek New Member • Posts: 5

I just had the problem repaired by Sony (thought it was going  to be free but it wasn't -- tldr).  So now it's got a perfect new TruBlack cover, but I still want to put a glass protector on.

Anyone here had any problem with putting glass over TruBlack?

-- hide signature --

Ken

moedius

wallewekk wrote:

I just had the problem repaired by Sony (thought it was going to be free but it wasn't -- tldr). So now it's got a perfect new TruBlack cover, but I still want to put a glass protector on.

Had no problems. The only concern I had was putting it over the already worn coating. Didn't really turn out to be an issue. There are a couple specs of dust trapped under, but that's partly because of the worn and abraded surface and partly because I suck at applying screen protectors.

I ended up buying this one. It was super cheap but it works perfectly fine.  I've bought JJC a few times for low-cost items where quality isn't as much a concern.  The only thing I can't say at the moment is how easily or well it will peel off if I need to replace it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYC65CO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- hide signature --

Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +31 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 15,134

wallewekk wrote:

I just had the problem repaired by Sony (thought it was going to be free but it wasn't -- tldr).

TLDR means too long, didn't read?

I should point out that you also didn't read the forum labels so well. You're asking about an A-mount camera in an E-mount forum. Not a big deal in this case, but for future reference, specific A77II questions will be best handled in the A-mount forum.

moedius wrote:

wallewekk wrote:

I just had the problem repaired by Sony (thought it was going to be free but it wasn't -- tldr). So now it's got a perfect new TruBlack cover, but I still want to put a glass protector on.

Had no problems. The only concern I had was putting it over the already worn coating. Didn't really turn out to be an issue. There are a couple specs of dust trapped under, but that's partly because of the worn and abraded surface and partly because I suck at applying screen protectors.

I ended up buying this one. It was super cheap but it works perfectly fine. I've bought JJC a few times for low-cost items where quality isn't as much a concern. The only thing I can't say at the moment is how easily or well it will peel off if I need to replace it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYC65CO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's a plastic one. I prefer the tempered glass ones, which are more transparent and scratch less. They're equally cheap.

moedius

Digital Nigel wrote:

moedius wrote:

wallewekk wrote:

I ended up buying this one. It was super cheap but it works perfectly fine. I've bought JJC a few times for low-cost items where quality isn't as much a concern. The only thing I can't say at the moment is how easily or well it will peel off if I need to replace it.

That's a plastic one. I prefer the tempered glass ones, which are more transparent and scratch less. They're equally cheap.

You're right, it is.  I might have just linked the wrong item, as I'm pretty sure I purchased a glass one.  I switched to tempered glass with my phone's protector years ago and have never looked back.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads