Guide to create DCP Colour Profiles for DXO PhotoLab, Lightroom and Photoshop

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,177
Guide to create DCP Colour Profiles for DXO PhotoLab, Lightroom and Photoshop

I know others have probably posted similar, but I wrote this guide for anyone that needed further info:

:

Download Adobe DNG Converter here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Install DNGConverter_11_1.exe

Download ColorChecker Camera Calibration software here:

https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/c/colorchecker_camera_calibration_v1_1_1

Install ColorCheckerPassportSetup, and select Desktop ColorChecker Passport when prompted.

Goto the DPReview Studio shot comparison page:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison

Select the Required Camera from the drop down list.
Select RAW and the lowest ISO.
Rightclick the blue RAW link, then Leftclick "Save target as" and save the RAW image.

Run Adobe DNG Converter, then convert the downloaded RAW image to DNG.

Run ColorChecker Passport, then Drag&Drop the DNG file into the window.
Click Create Profile, then save the DCP file to the default directory.
Note: the default directory is usually \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

Run Lightroom or Photoshop, and select the DCP profile in the Color Profile Browser.

:

If you are using DXO PhotoLab, copy the DCP file to the following directory:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

Then in DXO PhotoLab, select the images you wish to process, then goto the Customize Window.
Select Color Rendering, choose Catagory - DCP profile, Rendering - the required camera DCP, Intensity = 100
Export as required.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +5 more
aboulfad
aboulfad Regular Member • Posts: 287
Re: Guide to create DCP Colour Profiles for DXO PhotoLab, Lightroom and Photoshop

That is interesting, how accurate is this method compared to one using the x-rite passport ColorChecker and making a camera profile? Too bad they don’t have RAW for the iPhoneX or Xs.

aboulfad's gear list:aboulfad's gear list
Apple iPhone XS Max
OP DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,177
Re: Guide to create DCP Colour Profiles for DXO PhotoLab, Lightroom and Photoshop

aboulfad wrote:

That is interesting, how accurate is this method compared to one using the x-rite passport ColorChecker and making a camera profile? Too bad they don’t have RAW for the iPhoneX or Xs.

I find it very accurate.

Try it for yourself, then let us know.

Den

Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +5 more
aboulfad

I’d love to but I have an iPhone X and XsMax and there was only JPG, no RAW on that image comparison page for iPhone X.

Apple iPhone XS Max
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,711

Den, thanks so much for posting this concise guide.

I have bookmarked this thread, so that when I venture into DCP profiles, this will be a prime reference.

Might have a question or two for you, before long...

-- hide signature --

Thanks again,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III +2 more
EE-TV
EE-TV Senior Member • Posts: 1,362

What's the difference between ICC Profiles and DCP Profiles may I ask?
---------------------------------------------------
Bringing to light, Exposing what is

EE-TV's gear list:EE-TV's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D40 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +4 more
aboulfad
Apple iPhone XS Max

EE-TV wrote:

This link may provide more information to help answer your question:

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Management

Den

aboulfad

This is great info, so it seems iPhone users would need to purchase a ColorChecker passport and follow the steps to create the DCP. (Adobe’s DNG converter v11.1 supports even XsMax)

Or find RAW files including a color reference as in the image comparison page?

Apple iPhone XS Max

aboulfad wrote:

This is great info, so it seems iPhone users would need to purchase a ColorChecker passport and follow the steps to create the DCP. (Adobe’s DNG converter v11.1 supports even XsMax)

Or find RAW files including a color reference as in the image comparison page?

Yes, if you can find a iPhone RAW image with a ColorChecker chart in the shot.

Or just buy the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport and create the profile yourself.

Den

Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

Does this work for PhotoLab 1 as well, or only for v2?

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more

Lichtspiel wrote:

Does this work for PhotoLab 1 as well, or only for v2?

Unfortunately not, DCP support was only just announced for DXO PhotoLab version 2.1

Den

Jas4 Regular Member • Posts: 404

Thank you Den! Saved for later when I'm more awake and have higher brain function.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Smith

EE-TV
EE-TV Senior Member • Posts: 1,362

DenImage wrote:

EE-TV wrote:

This link may provide more information to help answer your question:

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Management

Den

Brilliant, thank you so much for posting this heads up. Very eager to try this out...
Bringing to light, Exposing what is

EE-TV's gear list:EE-TV's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D40 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +4 more
Chaplain Mark
Two Questions....

Den,

If I'm reading correctly , you are saying the DPR test image, converted to DNG, can serve in place of  a DNG shot by my camera?

Would the resultant DCP be as accurate or faithful as a DCP generated using a DNG shot from my particular camera copy and an X-Rite Color Checker target?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

-- hide signature --

Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 1,964
Re: Two Questions....

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Den,

If I'm reading correctly , you are saying the DPR test image, converted to DNG, can serve in place of a DNG shot by my camera?

To build a .DCP profile? No. I mean you could, but the entire point is to build a profile based on your specific camera sensor.

Would the resultant DCP be as accurate or faithful as a DCP generated using a DNG shot from my particular camera copy and an X-Rite Color Checker target?

No.

FWIW, I found existing custom profiles I built for my various cameras imported fine in this product. I can't nor should comment on 'accuracy' because that's not pertinent but I can say, like Lightroom or ACR, my own profiles provide a more pleasing color rendering than existing profiles. Which is why you want to build your own profiles from your specific camera(s) in mostly different types of lighting (daylight, tungsten, Fluorescent etc).

sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,069

pixelgenius wrote:

[...] FWIW, I found existing custom profiles I built for my various cameras imported fine in this product. [...]

Just to add -- when one uses the same DCP profile in both Lightroom and PhotoLab2, and disable all there is to disable in both converters, and then output the files and compare, there will be (at least) 2 slight differences that can be noticed by eye. One is the white balance -- each raw converter calculates white balance differently. The other is contrast -- DxO applies a different black level subtraction than Adobe , which results in more contrasty shadows and highlights. But the hues look pretty similar, if not exactly identical.

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 1,964

sankos wrote:

pixelgenius wrote:

[...] FWIW, I found existing custom profiles I built for my various cameras imported fine in this product. [...]

Just to add -- when one uses the same DCP profile in both Lightroom and PhotoLab2, and disable all there is to disable in both converters, and then output the files and compare, there will be (at least) 2 slight differences that can be noticed by eye.

I'd fully expect that.

One is the white balance -- each raw converter calculates white balance differently.

I'd expect that too considering the values provided in Kelvin are a range of colors and each converter will interpret them differently.

The other is contrast -- DxO applies a different black level subtraction than Adobe, which results in more contrasty shadows and highlights. But the hues look pretty similar, if not exactly identical.

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Den,

If I'm reading correctly , you are saying the DPR test image, converted to DNG, can serve in place of a DNG shot by my camera?

pixelgenius has responded correctly to your questions.

Den

Chaplain Mark

DenImage wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Den,

pixelgenius has responded correctly to your questions.

Den

Thanks, Den, much appreciated. .!

-- hide signature --

Chaplain Mark
-----
--------------

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads