Lightroom support for A99ii

Started 8 months ago | Questions
dtrph Contributing Member • Posts: 745
Lightroom support for A99ii

Hi Colleague SLT shooters,

I just upgraded from a65 to an a99ii (ebay purchase $1900 like new <8k SC).  My PP workflow has always been thru LR5 but it has no raw support for a99ii.

I can use C1 but that's another learning curve that I have no time or desire to pursue.  I can continue using LR5 by adding a step to my workflow of converting the RAW files to DNG.

Or I can purchase LR6 desktop not the subscription.

Does LR6 support the a99ii RAW files?

thanks for your help, Danny

-- hide signature --

dancph

dtrph's gear list:dtrph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A65 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,657
Re: Lightroom support for A99ii

dtrph wrote:

I just upgraded from a65 to an a99ii (ebay purchase $1900 like new <8k SC). My PP workflow has always been thru LR5 but it has no raw support for a99ii.

I can use C1 but that's another learning curve that I have no time or desire to pursue. I can continue using LR5 by adding a step to my workflow of converting the RAW files to DNG.

C1 is good though and there is a cheaper Sony only version. DXO Photo Lab 2 is also excellent for a99ii raws. If you are that hell bent on staying with Adobe the $9.99 month plan that includes PS + LR is not that bad is it?

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1
ValeryD
ValeryD Regular Member • Posts: 193

dtrph wrote:

I just upgraded from a65 to an a99ii (ebay purchase $1900 like new <8k SC). My PP workflow has always been thru LR5 but it has no raw support for a99ii.

I can use C1 but that's another learning curve that I have no time or desire to pursue. I can continue using LR5 by adding a step to my workflow of converting the RAW files to DNG.

It's strange, but LR5 works fast fine with DNG, you can convert RAW to DNG using C1 express for Sony.

LR6 - works extremely slow with big RAW files from a99II

New LR7.* not too bad as LR6.* , but as Marco Cinnirella's   say:

If you are that hell bent on staying with Adobe the $9.99 month plan that includes PS + LR is not that bad is it?

Most f the time I use C1.

ValeryD's gear list:ValeryD's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +8 more
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,657

ValeryD wrote:

dtrph wrote:

It's strange, but LR5 works fast fine with DNG, you can convert RAW to DNG using C1 express for Sony.

If you are that hell bent on staying with Adobe the $9.99 month plan that includes PS + LR is not that bad is it?

FWIW I have LR, C1 and DXO Photo Lab 2 - I usually prefer DXO unless I have a massive batch of 100s of images - the IQ is usually better and the lens profiles as well

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1
mick787 Regular Member • Posts: 344

Tread carefully with C1. They have just released version 12. I 'upgraded' from their free Sony software to Version 11 in September on a special offer they were promoting, (obviously because of the imminent release of V12). I then find out V11 does not work with the new Mojave currently being pushed by Apple, V12 does work with Mojave! Thankfully I didn't download Mojave otherwise I'd be in the ca+k. Now I'm waiting for C1 to update V11 before I can go to Mojave. Seems to me that C1 is becoming another Abode and is wanting people to go to monthly payments.

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,023

According to Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

The A-99II is supported by Lightroom 6.8

I'm guessing you'd need a pretty fast computer for the 42MB RAW files though.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 6,012

dtrph wrote:

Congrats--you will absolutely love the camera. I process with LR, but I do the cloud service -- no problem with the A99ii at all.

-- hide signature --

Steve W

Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more
cormierphoto Forum Member • Posts: 77

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

ValeryD wrote:

dtrph wrote:

FWIW I have LR, C1 and DXO Photo Lab 2 - I usually prefer DXO unless I have a massive batch of 100s of images - the IQ is usually better and the lens profiles as well

I got DxO Photo Lab 2 recently (I have a A99II as well) and trying to see if it could replace LR, but it took about 2-3 hours to process around 300 photos, and there were errors doing so. LR takes about an hour or less for that volume.

Still trying a way to 'sync' my photos, and not being able to rename files in a batch like LR is a huge turn off as well. I want to use DxO Photo Lab due to colour being more faithful without a custom profile, but the lack of library style and batch ease of use is a problem.

cormierphoto's gear list:cormierphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a99 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +4 more
OP dtrph Contributing Member • Posts: 745

Thanks for the confirmation and suggestions!  I will go with the LR6 stand alone platform.  Happy shooting and be safe.

-- hide signature --

dancph

dtrph's gear list:dtrph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A65 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads