Anyone got his Z7/6 and never looked back his/her D850?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
ContaxRTSII Regular Member • Posts: 135
Anyone got his Z7/6 and never looked back his/her D850?

Just being curious, a specific question for people came from D850 and never "regretted"?

Please at least one or two weeks of real world "experience" not simply opinion.

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,645
Re: Anyone got his Z7/6 and never looked back his/her D850?

ContaxRTSII wrote:

Just being curious, a specific question for people came from D850 and never "regretted"?

As I've said before here, I've sold my D850 but I'm keeping my D5.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
TonyM Contributing Member • Posts: 550

ContaxRTSII wrote:

I'm using my D850 less and less, but I'm not ready to sell it.  It does do things the Z7 can't do as well... at least for me.

TonyM's gear list:TonyM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon D850 Canon EOS M50 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
OP ContaxRTSII Regular Member • Posts: 135

What if you don't have D5 and you got to keep only one, Z or 850?

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,645

ContaxRTSII wrote:

What if you don't have D5 and you got to keep only one, Z or 850?

Good thing I don't have to make that decision.

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
slidewilson Regular Member • Posts: 238

TonyM wrote:

ContaxRTSII wrote:

I'm using my D850 less and less, but I'm not ready to sell it. It does do things the Z7 can't do as well... at least for me.

This is the thing, there's sooo much I love about my Z6 but I was shooting some portraits tonight in very low light and it just couldn't keep up. I switched to my D850 for a moment and it locked in focus much better. I really think they're excellent cameras to have side by side.
Also I'm still trying to get used to the EVF, it's such a big visual change when composing. That being said, the benefits of the EVF are already starting to win me over.

I'm sure the day will come where the Z6/7 will be better in all relevant areas than the D850, but today is not that day

JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,567
Not quite what you asked, but...

ContaxRTSII wrote:

I’ve never had a D850, but my desire for having one has evaporated completely after a month with the Z7.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 15,903

TonyM wrote:

I'm using my D850 less and less, but I'm not ready to sell it. It does do things the Z7 can't do as well... at least for me.

+1

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 31,295

I have had the Z7 since early October and have not used my D850 since. However, I will not be selling the D850 any time soon.

The problem is that people seem to want to pigeon hole people and their camera to either/or rather than "right tool for the job" . Neither the Z7 nor the D850 are perfect for every person or every shooting style or use. This isn't a competition

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +13 more
fpessolano Senior Member • Posts: 2,395

I did for a while, now I have decided to leave the 70-200E on the D850 (with a TC2 when it needs to be there) and we will see next year if I sell it or not to fund new Z lenses.

My main issue now is what I do with the sigma 150-600 (since the 60-600 seems basically the same but more zoom)

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 15,903

Lance B wrote:

The problem is that people seem to want to pigeon hole people and their camera to either/or rather than "right tool for the job" . Neither the Z7 nor the D850 are perfect for every person or every shooting style or use.

Well said 

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
sidebyside Senior Member • Posts: 1,135

I can't answer your question as asked but I'm going to reply based on another camera system.  I feel compelled to say what I'm feeling.

I've been using Sony mirrorless for years but when I started to hear good things about the Nikon Z I decided to buy a Z6 to see for myself.  It took a while to get used to a different camera and getting it dialed-in, but after 3 weeks of using the Z6 I decided to sell my Sony and make a switch to Nikon Z.

I have no regrets and no looking back.

-- hide signature --

Andy
First and foremost, it's about capturing the moment regardless of how the pixels look at 100%

sidebyside's gear list:sidebyside's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
rokoko Regular Member • Posts: 271

Same here, 70-200E+D850. Just added a battery grip and en-el18a.

rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 +1 more
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,335
No, but...

...I did sell my a7R III and don’t regret it one bit.   I’m absolutely thrilled with the Z7.   My most recent cameras were Panasonic and Sony.   I’ve used several different brands but Nikon until now didn’t have a good mirrorless large sensor camera.   I’m all in!   I still have a Fuji for occasional use but I don’t touch it much because it’s so much fun shooting with the  Z7 and the images are outstanding.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,900

My alternatives were to buy the D850 or the Z7 to replace my good old D800 with. I chose the Z7 and not regretted selling the D800 or not buying the D850. I think I will never again buy a camera with a mirror and a prism. It is an invention which is over 80 years old, so it is time to retire it. The Z7 is finally an FF camera regarding body size and shape which is more like the SLRs I grew up with and liked a lot for their compactness and high quality. I never really liked the shapes of DSLRs, so for me was really a no brainer, and if I had a D850 I would have sold that as well.

But you have to ask yourself the question, do you need a second FF body or not? How often would you use the one or the other? In my opinion there is no point of keeping cameras unless you have need for them, or you are a collector of old cameras.

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,608

Just for fun, here is a quick take on how the Z7 covers cameras I own or might accept as a gift:

Nikon:
Makes obsolete for any use I would have:   D750, D800, D810
Replaces all DX:  D500, etc.
Demotes from general purpose to special purpose:  D850
Doesn't change the relevancy of (although not used any more basically) D3s-D4s (owned), D5

Not Nikon (none owned)
Needs one pancake lens to replace small body FX with AF: RX1, A7riii, Leica Q
To some extent liberates M lenses from existing bodies and sensors:  Leica M series, Leica SL
Not the same, but can have monochrome EVF:  Leica Monochrome
With Otus lenses, not all that far from:  GFX-50

All in all, a very flexible camera system.
And the importance of having a pancake like lens is obvious.   It allows the Z's to become an entirely different kind of camera for a market segment that is not currently brilliantly served.

-- hide signature --

Frank
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/
Photos look better in Original Size
Shot in downtown Manhattan, mostly

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +19 more
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

Replaced my D850 with a Z6+Z7 combo. Totally silent and vibration free shooting while looking through the viewfinder was the final trigger. Compact and lightweight Z7 body (670 grams) which has 9 fps like D850 with grip( 1400 gram) are a bonus. The stellar 24-70 F4s was another reason to take my decision. Added a Z6 two weeks ago. Z6 will be my high iso camera, very clean images until iso 12800.
My D850 was collecting dust since my Z7 arrived and finally sold it.
Did not regret for a second.