Connect D850 wirelessly to computer

Started Dec 2, 2018 | Discussions
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,787
Connect D850 wirelessly to computer

I am in a studio environment and would like to transfer jpg images from my (new) D850 to my laptop while shooting for real time review. With my D750, I turn on the camera's wifi function and the camera and computer easily connect via wifi. DSLR Dashboard then gives me full wireless control and transfer of jpgs via my laptop.

It looks like the D850 works differently? I am not interested in reviewing on/transferring files to my smartphone, tablet or other device. Anyone have any insight on how to connect wirelessly (wifi or bluetooth) between a Win 10 laptop and D850?

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z7 II
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
theonetruepath Senior Member • Posts: 1,744
Re: Connect D850 wirelessly to computer

Check out the Camranger. Preferably Camranger 2 which will be lots faster, but not Camranger Mini which is the smartphone-oriented version.

theonetruepath's gear list:theonetruepath's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,635

theonetruepath wrote:

Check out the Camranger. Preferably Camranger 2 which will be lots faster, but not Camranger Mini which is the smartphone-oriented version.

Geeze!  It took them long enough to advance CamRanger to wireless ac - I'm STILL using my home-built wireless battery USB 2 mini-transmitter and receiver rig (WUSB2) I built many years ago because nothing else transmitted at a full 480mbps within  the studio.  Looks like Camranger2 will finally beat it and be good enough to transmit RAW+JPEG pairs fast enough to be of production use in the studio - guess I'll finally upgrade. My Linksys Velop mesh network will also help as each station maxes out the available network speed.

Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
backayonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,474

I have a D750 and the D850 and it seems that Nikon have deliberately stuffed up certain things with the 850. Namely the off camera flash availability. I have just had to purchase a SU800 to off camera trigger my SB900's ( yes I know there are other triggers available)

And wireless only available via Snapbridge?

As well as Photography I also mess about with Raspberry Pi computers.

I have my D750 connected to a portable Raspberry Pi with a 7 inch touchscreen running Dsbodies.

Oh if only I could get my D 850 to connect !

cheers

-- hide signature --
gskolenda
gskolenda Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

theonetruepath wrote:

Had them both the Camranger, and the Camranger mini, with my D850, Still to slow, lost connection easy, and too expensive. If you look around on QDSLR's website you can find directions on how to connect to the D850, It's funky, you have to connect to bluetooth first and quickly connect to the D850's Wifi. Once you learn the process it does work, fairly stable, and it's faster than the Camranger's I had, But it's still too slow for me.
I shoot mostly still life and product shots, in a small studio, so I don't move my camera around any, if at all, and I just tether the D850 up wired through Lightroom on my pretty fast laptop. I'm pleased with that. It's going to take a very fast and reliable Wifi device to get me off the wire. Good Luck.

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 II Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II +7 more
wilberforce_1 Regular Member • Posts: 279

AFAIK, for the D850 the only way to get the camera to start transmitting on Wi-Fi is via the Snapbridge app.

So what you need to do is to connect to the D850 from the Snapbridge app from your smartphone (which is initially via bluetooth), and then hit "remote photography" or "download pictures" buttons in the app.  This will trigger the D850 to start transmitting on Wi-Fi. Then, here's the key: DO NOT JOIN THE D850 Wi-Fi FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE!

Instead, join the camera's Wi-Fi network from your computer, and start QDSLR.  You can shut down the smartphone app, as it is no longer needed.  It is only needed to initially trigger the D850 to start transmitting on Wi-Fi.

btw, the default WiFi password from the D850 is "NIKOND850"

Good Luck, this sometimes takes several tries to get it right, but it does work.

I also have CamRanger, which is much easier if you get too frustrated, but is not free.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,739
My Airnef app

You can use the realtime download feature of my Airnef app:

Airnef home page

Instructions for connecting to airnef on Snapbridge cameras

mmmage001 New Member • Posts: 15

CamFi Pro is another option. It uses 802.11ac,  and the wifi transfer speed is about 10MB/s.

tomnorth
tomnorth Senior Member • Posts: 1,172

You could get a WiFi enabled SD card. It seems Toshiba is making the best ones these days. Several years ago I tried one from EyeFi, but found it too putzy to use so I got rid of it. I hope they’ve become easier to use and connect.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +10 more
K Joseph Senior Member • Posts: 1,018

24Peter wrote:

I am in a studio environment and would like to transfer jpg images from my (new) D850 to my laptop while shooting for real time review. With my D750, I turn on the camera's wifi function and the camera and computer easily connect via wifi. DSLR Dashboard then gives me full wireless control and transfer of jpgs via my laptop.

It looks like the D850 works differently? I am not interested in reviewing on/transferring files to my smartphone, tablet or other device. Anyone have any insight on how to connect wirelessly (wifi or bluetooth) between a Win 10 laptop and D850?

QDslrDashboard for iOs - anyone find it in the App Store, in the US market ?

K Joseph's gear list:K Joseph's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +7 more
24Peter
OP 24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,787

wilberforce_1 wrote:

AFAIK, for the D850 the only way to get the camera to start transmitting on Wi-Fi is via the Snapbridge app.

So what you need to do is to connect to the D850 from the Snapbridge app from your smartphone (which is initially via bluetooth), and then hit "remote photography" or "download pictures" buttons in the app. This will trigger the D850 to start transmitting on Wi-Fi. Then, here's the key: DO NOT JOIN THE D850 Wi-Fi FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE!

Instead, join the camera's Wi-Fi network from your computer, and start QDSLR. You can shut down the smartphone app, as it is no longer needed. It is only needed to initially trigger the D850 to start transmitting on Wi-Fi.

Good Luck, this sometimes takes several tries to get it right, but it does work.

Mark

Great - thank you Mark! The only thing I had to do was turn off WiFi on my Android 8 phone before selecting "Remote Photography" in SnapBridge. Otherwise it would immediately connect before I could select the network on my Win 10 laptop.

The other thing to note is the D850 (unlike my D750) will keep the WiFi connection going even if you turn off the camera if you have "send while off" enabled (mine was enabled by default) in the Bluetooth (not WiFi) menu options. This might sometimes be useful but sometimes not.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z7 II
gskolenda
gskolenda Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

What the ell is ios?

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 II Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II +7 more
wilberforce_1 Regular Member • Posts: 279

24Peter wrote:

wilberforce_1 wrote:

So what you need to do is to connect to the D850 from the Snapbridge app from your smartphone (which is initially via bluetooth), and then hit "remote photography" or "download pictures" buttons in the app. This will trigger the D850 to start transmitting on Wi-Fi. Then, here's the key: DO NOT JOIN THE D850 Wi-Fi FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE!

Instead, join the camera's Wi-Fi network from your computer, and start QDSLR. You can shut down the smartphone app, as it is no longer needed. It is only needed to initially trigger the D850 to start transmitting on Wi-Fi.

Mark

Great - thank you Mark! The only thing I had to do was turn off WiFi on my Android 8 phone before selecting "Remote Photography" in SnapBridge. Otherwise it would immediately connect before I could select the network on my Win 10 laptop.

The other thing to note is the D850 (unlike my D750) will keep the WiFi connection going even if you turn off the camera if you have "send while off" enabled (mine was enabled by default) in the Bluetooth (not WiFi) menu options. This might sometimes be useful but sometimes not.

Excellent, glad it worked.  I have iPhone, so was not sure if Android would work exactly the same.  Thanks for the tip on keeping the Wi-Fi connection when camera is turned off.   I would not have expected to find this in the bluetooth menu;  the downside might be draining the battery inadvertently.  And Horshack's linked instructions are much more thorough than mine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads