Planning your 'sevens' landscape challenge entries

Started Nov 28, 2018 | Discussions
Dutch Newchurch
Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Planning your 'sevens' landscape challenge entries

1 Monochrome - 4 December 2018

Monochrome landscape photographs, please! (Monochrome means black and white, or a single colour.)

2 Urban landscape - 11 December 2018

Photograph a scene (a space) in a city or town. It may be vast or microscopic, or anywhere in between.
I may disqualify shots I consider 'street photography' rather than 'urban landscape’.

3 Classic landscape - 18 December 2018

Capture the beauty and variety of the natural landscape. An iconic view; a view along a cliff-side or rolling hills; a view down a valley; a forest skyline or snow-capped peaks; maybe showing the drama of our seasons. Recognisable and memorable; a true classic.

Human-made structures and people should not be significant elements in the image. (Images with artificial structures can go in next week’s challenge ‘Human Landscape’.)

Minor digital adjustments only please – the physical integrity of the image must be maintained.

The integrity of the subject must be maintained and the making of physical changes to the landscape is not permitted. You may not, for example, remove fences, move trees or strip in the sky from another image. Digital adjustments including dodging & burning, changes to tone & contrast and cropping are allowed, as are High Dynamic Range imaging techniques, stitched panoramas and focus stacking.

4 Human landscape - Christmas day - 25 December 2018

Show a landscape that shows the influence of people. Buildings, roads, ruins can all be elements in your image. But people should not be significant elements (they can be next week, in the ‘Living in the Landscape’ challenge).

5 Living in the landscape - New Year’s Day 2019

Show people using, enjoying the landscape. Climbing, running, cycling, paragliding, walking the dog. Document the interaction between humans and nature.

6 Seascape - 8 January 2019

The sea, or another large body of water, must be an important element in this landscape photograph. Boats, ships and people must not be significant elements in your image.

9 Your view of the landscape - 15 January 2019

Give your personal interpretation of the landscape - and when voting, reward creativity and originality - this is not a challenge for conventional landscapes that could have fitted comfortably in one of the earlier challenges in this series.

Photoshop encouraged, particularly in this last installment!  Rearrange the landscape as much as you wish!

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
My DP Review gallery
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 943
Re: Planning your 'sevens' landscape challenge entries

Hello Dutch,

Please, do you prefer color over black and white beyond the 1st challenge of this series?

This is not clear to me.

Thank you.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716

e11even wrote:

Hello Dutch,

Please, do you prefer color over black and white beyond the 1st challenge of this series?

This is not clear to me.

Thank you.

Thank you for asking.

The first challenge was monochrome only.  All the others are for both colour and black and white images.

I personally enjoy both monochrome and colour photographs, but it all depends on the skill of the photographer.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
My DP Review gallery

santamonica812 Contributing Member • Posts: 963

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

e11even wrote:

Hello Dutch,

This is not clear to me.

Thank you.

Thank you for asking.

The first challenge was monochrome only. All the others are for both colour and black and white images.

I personally enjoy both monochrome and colour photographs, but it all depends on the skill of the photographer.

Dutch, "monochrome" can mean color as often as it means B & W. A post-sunset shot of the beach will likely be all shades of blue. (ie, monochrome). A landscape of a wheat field during golden light will likely be all shades of gold/yellow. Also monochrome. The confusion is no big deal--most non-photographers think that monochrome and B/W are synonymous. It's all part of the learning process.

If you want only black and white images for the first challenge, that extra information should be added to the challenge rules, so people know you're only accepting that B/W subset out of the universe of all monochrome images.

Here are a few links to color monochrome images...I just Googled and picked the first few I saw.

blue monochrome

green mono

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716

santamonica812 wrote:

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

e11even wrote:

Hello Dutch,

This is not clear to me.

Thank you.

Thank you for asking.

The first challenge was monochrome only. All the others are for both colour and black and white images.

Dutch, "monochrome" can mean color as often as it means B & W. A post-sunset shot of the beach will likely be all shades of blue. (ie, monochrome). A landscape of a wheat field during golden light will likely be all shades of gold/yellow. Also monochrome. The confusion is no big deal--most non-photographers think that monochrome and B/W are synonymous. It's all part of the learning process.

If you want only black and white images for the first challenge, that extra information should be added to the challenge rules, so people know you're only accepting that B/W subset out of the universe of all monochrome images.

Here are a few links to color monochrome images...I just Googled and picked the first few I saw.

blue monochrome

green mono

I chose to describe the challenge as 'monochrome' rather than ''''black and white' for that reason.

One entry was disqualified because it was a colour image, not monochrome.  It contained different tones of yellow and orange as well as some small amounts of blue and green.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
My DP Review gallery

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads