Phantom Power Drain on X-T3

Started Nov 25, 2018 | Discussions
Sugyn Regular Member • Posts: 127
Phantom Power Drain on X-T3

My X-T3 is using power when it is turned off. fresh battery dies in about 48 hours with camera turned off. Anyone have a reason this might occur? Just in case I turned bluetooth off but didn't seem to effect it.

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
c0les0 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Phantom Power Drain on X-T3

Sugyn wrote:

My X-T3 is using power when it is turned off. fresh battery dies in about 48 hours with camera turned off. Anyone have a reason this might occur? Just in case I turned bluetooth off but didn't seem to effect it.

I had a similar issue while flighing in the trip. From fully charged camera at home it became a fully discharged after 6 hours... Seems, a random start might occur...

But anyway, there is a 2 mins delay for power off in yht settings.. that's strange.

OP Sugyn Regular Member • Posts: 127

c0les0 wrote:

Sugyn wrote:

I had a similar issue while flighing in the trip. From fully charged camera at home it became a fully discharged after 6 hours... Seems, a random start might occur...

But anyway, there is a 2 mins delay for power off in yht settings.. that's strange.

I can understand if it turns itself off, because it has to have enough power drain to detect when the shutter is pressed to turn back on.  But my battery is going dead with the power switch set to off. I'm afraid it's looking like a service issue unless someone knows a reason it could occur. To have an issue on camera so new (just 2 months old) is annoying especially when it's to late to return it.

Hate to bump my own thread but hoping someone can at least confirm there XT-3 doesn't drain batteries when turned off.

Miroslav_1
Miroslav_1 Regular Member • Posts: 204

Sugyn wrote:

hoping someone can at least confirm there XT-3 doesn't drain batteries when turned off.

I confirm. Have you checked your battery in other camera? If not leave the battery out of camera and check if it drains.

chimphappyhour Senior Member • Posts: 1,087

I think I saw somewhere a suggestion that "off" is more akin to a deep sleep. If the camera senses input from the shutter button (such as it sitting wrong in the camera bag) it'll give it a little "sleep apnea" to continue the analogy. I haven't had issues but it's something to look into.

chimphappyhour's gear list:chimphappyhour's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more

Thanks for checking not looking forward to sending a new camera in for service so soon and so close to the holidays

I reset camera changed lenses and used 3 different batteries always the same result dead in about 48 hours. In comparison my XT-20 same battery for 5 days shows no loss.

Thanks for looking but it seems my camera is unusually power hungry just what a Fuji camera needs. Looking into service Monday.

Dark Mist Contributing Member • Posts: 559

I have the opposite problem.

The batteries in my X-PRO 2 and XT-2 hold their charge for weeks if the cameras aren't used. However, my spare batteries lose their charge within around 48 hours. The batteries are interchanged randomly and I don't think it's individual batteries going flat but I will need to note which batteries go flat and which hold their charge.

This behaviour is counter to what I expect to occur and what happens with my other camera batteries. Is it normal for Fuji batteries to discharge quickly when not in a camera?

ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,285

Dark Mist wrote:

I have the opposite problem.

The batteries in my X-PRO 2 and XT-2 hold their charge for weeks if the cameras aren't used. However, my spare batteries lose their charge within around 48 hours. The batteries are interchanged randomly and I don't think it's individual batteries going flat but I will need to note which batteries go flat and which hold their charge.

This behaviour is counter to what I expect to occur and what happens with my other camera batteries. Is it normal for Fuji batteries to discharge quickly when not in a camera?

I can have my Fuji camera batteries sit for a couple months in my camera bag without fully discharging. Probably with over 60% juice left.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more

Well that just sounds crazy   Maybe it's how your batteries bounce around and if they touch something?  As for my camera, service said it sounds like a service issue. Feels so awesome to spend another $27 on shipping and insurance for a camera only 2 months old. The sad thing is I think it was this way from the start but I was using it almost daily so did not notice. Than it sucked a battery dry and a approved anker external battery in about 4 days when I wasn't using it. Oh well hopefully it returns from service soon and it all becomes a distant memory. Will post upon it's return.

Re: Phantom Power Drain on X-T3 UPDATE NOT HAPPY!!

Well sent my camera to Fuji Edison NJ repair center. They turned it around quickly because they did nothing and sent it back defect intact. They than argued that they didn't do nothing because they measured some voltage that they said was good. Of course I pointed out that they than did NOTHING to fix the problem and sent it back. I than asked to talk to a supervisor because by this point I was livid. They transferred me to a supervisor voicemail who never returned my call. Really not happy with Fuji right now. They choose to ignore my observations entirely and without calling just sent it back. So beware of the problem new battery by 24 hours with camera turned off 3 bars down within 48 hours dead battery.

Patrik1404 New Member • Posts: 1

Hi, I have the same problem. Did you manage to find out what it is?

Sorry should have finished the story. I made a fuss as I should have and they took it back and concluded I was absolutely 100% correct. They acknowledged it and fixed it. So just press the point if your camera turned off with fresh battery over night loses charge.

MehdiT Regular Member • Posts: 262

Do you by any chance use a soft release button on your camera? I had one on my X-Pro2 and found that it was pressing on the side of my camera bag and causing it to drain the battery in an hour or so. I removed the soft release and the problem went away. I found a few threads relating to the issue, as one poster in this thread says, off is not off.

-- hide signature --

Mehdi
Fuji X-T1, X-T1 (IR), X-E2, 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, Zeiss 12, 32, Rokinon 8, Olympus Pen half frame and Canon rangefinder lenses

MehdiT's gear list:MehdiT's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax 645D Fujifilm X-Pro2 Hasselblad X1D Fujifilm X-T2 +26 more

No it was a defect Fuji fixed it the second time around.

Laurence7 New Member • Posts: 1

I'm afraid mine does the same. I put a fully charged battery in the camera two days ago and doubled checked that the camera was turned off. Went to use it today and the battery was completely flat.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads