sigma 35mm 1.4 art not working on nikon z6

Started 11 months ago | Questions
chadnchady New Member • Posts: 11
sigma 35mm 1.4 art not working on nikon z6

Hi, just got my Nikon z6 with adapter today.  The sigma 50mm 1.4 art works well but the sigma 35mm 1.4 art doesn't auto focus. The green auto focus lights up but nothing happens.

I don't have a z7 to test but people say the 35mm works on the z7, so why wouldn't it on the z6?

Any ideas?

chadnchady's gear list:chadnchady's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MarkJ10 New Member • Posts: 17
Re: sigma 35mm 1.4 art not working on nikon z6

As I understand the situation, the current version of the 35mm 1.4 Art is supported, but early versions of the lens firmware won't necessarily work. I have a Z7, and my 35/1.4 Art (and 150/2.8 macro) did not work. Sigma encouraged me to send in the lenses in for a free firmware update, and currently they have my lenses -- so outcome is TBD.

Best regards,

Mark

Jonathan F/2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,200

If you have the Sigma dock you should be able to update the firmware in order for it to work.

Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,168

My 35mm f/1.4 is the oldest of my three Sigma lenses, and did not autofocus the first time I mounted it on the Z7 via the FTZ adaptor. However, I do have the dock, so I downloaded the latest firmware for the lens, and now it works perfectly. My 24mm f/1.4 Art and 24-105mm f/4 both seemed to work fine from the beginning.

Here's an image from the 35mm f/1.4 Art on the Z7:

Ray
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rritchie/

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +3 more
KeithF Senior Member • Posts: 1,189

MarkJ10 wrote:

As I understand the situation, the current version of the 35mm 1.4 Art is supported, but early versions of the lens firmware won't necessarily work. I have a Z7, and my 35/1.4 Art (and 150/2.8 macro) did not work. Sigma encouraged me to send in the lenses in for a free firmware update, and currently they have my lenses -- so outcome is TBD.

Best regards,

Mark

Which version of the Sigma 150 you have?  The NON-OS version I have did not work with Z7.

KeithF's gear list:KeithF's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +18 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,240

I think you need to update your lens.

my 35 art has no issue with the z7, I doubt z6 is different enough from the z7

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z7 Nikon 1 V1 Ricoh Theta V +1 more
Alepan New Member • Posts: 6

Was your Z6 made in Japan or Thailand?

You can find it behind the LCD, thank you.

And where was your Z6 made, in Japan or Thailand? I think it is written somewhere behind the LCD.

Thank you.

I have the Z7, not the Z6, and it was made in Japan. I doubt they have a Thailand line for the Z6 yet, as the two bodies are indistinguishable, except for the logo on the front. I believe the 24-70S lens, however, is being made in Thailand.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +3 more
OP chadnchady New Member • Posts: 11

MarkJ10 wrote:

Best regards,

Mark

Thanks guys, after borrowing the dock from a mate yes you only needed to update the lens firmware, works brilliantly now.

Strange they didn't make it more clear.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21
OP chadnchady New Member • Posts: 11

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I have the Z7, not the Z6, and it was made in Japan. I doubt they have a Thailand line for the Z6 yet, as the two bodies are indistinguishable, except for the logo on the front. I believe the 24-70S lens, however, is being made in Thailand.

Just had a look the z6 is made in japan also. Yes the 24-70 is made in Thailand.

I have the 150mm f/2.8 AF APO EX DG OS HSM Macro purchased in late 2012.

Thank you.

Bowriverguy Junior Member • Posts: 40

Hi - I have the same set-up and my 35mm 1.4 Art lens focuses on my Z6?

rick colman Regular Member • Posts: 114

chadnchady wrote:

Hi, just got my Nikon z6 with adapter today. The sigma 50mm 1.4 art works well but the sigma 35mm 1.4 art doesn't auto focus. The green auto focus lights up but nothing happens.

I don't have a z7 to test but people say the 35mm works on the z7, so why wouldn't it on the z6?

Any ideas?

Contact Sigma, of course. Wouldnt the manufacturer be in the best position to offer an upgrade or work-around?

rick colman's gear list:rick colman's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7

My understanding is that the firmware in the 35/1.4 changed at some point. So one possibility is that yours has an older firmware. I had problems with my 35/1.4 on my Z7 - it's at Sigma now (along with my 150 macro) for a firmware update.

According to Sigma's USA support website, the latest version of the firmware for the 35mm f/1.4 Art lens has been out since August of 2016, so if you bought your lens after that date, it's likely that it has already been updated.

Apparently the last Nikon mount update was primarily aimed at fixing an underexposure problem with the D500, so it may be that the autofocus bug that shows up with the Z7 actually popped up earlier than the D500 introduction in January of 2016. I believe I've heard that the 35mm Art lens can also have the autofocus issue with the D850, but I haven't been able to find the reference to that.

The dock is cheap, around $59. If you like Sigma lenses, you should consider getting it.

-- hide signature --

Following up on my previous post, my Sigma 35/1.4 A and 150/2.8 OS macro are back from Sigma with firmware update. Both are functioning fine on the Z7, including OS.

Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,488

☝🏾

-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

Raul's gear list:Raul's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D850 Nikon D5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads