Is my Nikon gone or do you think there's still hope? CMOS problems.

Started Nov 16, 2018 | Questions
franciscop New Member • Posts: 8
Is my Nikon gone or do you think there's still hope? CMOS problems.

Hi!
I have a fungus (?) on the CCD / CMOS of my Nikon DSLR (Nikon D40x) and I tried to remove it with a sensor cleaning swab kit but I did not get any improvement - attached photo of the result after my cleaning attempt.
Do you believe that Nikon service can replace or clean the CCD / CMOS, or is there no solution to this type of problem?
Thank you in advance for your input!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,893
Re: Is my Nikon gone or do you think there's still hope? CMOS problems.

Looks like fungus to me, Nikon service can evaluate it and provide a quote for repairs. If the sensor needs to be replaced it would probably be less costly to buy a replacement camera. Might be time to consider an upgrade as well.

Cheers,
Doug

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,924

Do you have any lens to test it again?

Yes, that mark is looking like fungus.

But as the sensor of digital camera normally will produce not small amount of heat on using, so might not provide a favourable environment for fungus to grow.

My oldest digital camera (15 years old already, have not been used for >10 years and was just kept in an airtight box plus bags of silica gel for quite many years, it still has no problem. F.Y.I. I live in a region where dry alert would be held by Observatory when RH <70% and 100% for a few months every year).

However fungus might grow on lens easier.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,538

Yes you can get the sensor replaced.

But the repair is almost certain to cost more than the value of the camera. Just buy another. You can even get another D40x that's been inspected and tested.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d40x-10-2-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html#keh-specifications-container

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 8,325

You can get lightly used ones for under $100 all day long. It's not worth fixing.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z7 +19 more
OP franciscop New Member • Posts: 8

Thanks!
I went back and found that my 2016 pics had a little black spot exactly in the same place.
Two years later it's full grown.
What a waste...

Hi Albert,
Thank you for your valuable input!
I can actually see it on my CMOS, just a little spot but I simply can't remove it with the cleaning swabs.
I've since looked into my older pics and found out that in 2016 I had this little spot already there.
But by now it got bigger and ruined my CMOS.
I bought an air thight case this week to store all my equipment...

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input and links.
Yes, that's also a solution, to buy one just like this one.

The newer D3400 and D5300 look very similar, but surely more powerful.

I like the smaller DSLR possible although full frame DSLRs offer better results.

My D40x was still performing great, I've even done professional photos, printed in books/brochures, with it.

Hi,

Tks for your input!
Yes, I was afraid of that.
Well... black friday is just around the corner.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,893
Storage recommendations

franciscop wrote:

Thanks!
I went back and found that my 2016 pics had a little black spot exactly in the same place.
Two years later it's full grown.
What a waste...

Here are Zeiss' storage recommendations to reduce fungus problems. They mention lenses, but the same precautions can help eliminate fungus problems elsewhere.

Where does fungus come from?

• Fungus spores are everywhere and germinate under suitable environmental conditions:
  • Growing conditions
  • Relative humidity of at least 70% (more than 3 days)
  • No or little airflow
  • Darkness
  • Nutrients (textile lint, traces of grease, varnish, dust and dirt)
  • Temperatures between 10 and 35°C

How can fungus be avoided?

Reduce the relative humidity to less than 60% (never under 30% as it is dangerous for the instrument) by storing:

• in climate-control cabinets in which hygrometers maintain environmental conditions
  • next to driers (e.g. silicagel orange packs) in the containers
  • in a special cabinet whose interior is heated to 40°C (max. 50°C) using a fan heater/ incandescent lamps, thereby reducing the relative humidity
  • in hermetically sealed cabinets with fungicides with high vapor pressure (fungicide depot must be replaced at regular intervals)
  • in an dehydrator above driers

https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/int/service/content/fungus-on-lenses.html

Cheers,
Doug

Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 3,206
do you think there's still hope? NOPE

Nikon will tell you that the phone is "beyond economic repair".

DiffractionLtd
DiffractionLtd Senior Member • Posts: 2,836

It's probably on the underside of the IR/AA filter or on top of the glass cover on the sensor (which is under the filter stack).  The filter stack can be  removed and the mold cleaned off.  Look up "lifepixel.com" if you want to attempt this yourself.  They have DIY articles on taking camera bodies apart and replacing the filter stack for IR work.  I've done it to Nikon D100, D70 an D200, the conversion i mean.

Re: Storage recommendations

Great recommendations Doug.
Thanks!
I just bought a hard camera case (airtight/watertight) to store my equipment and I'll pack it with a bunch of silica gel packets.
I will try to monitor the interior relative humidity with a wireless remote hygrometer.
This problem happened once and it will happen again if I'm not careful.
I've been living in this house, near the sea, for just a few years and I'm learning now that I must take better care of my cameras/lens.

Oh... wow!

Thanks for the suggestion.
I found the step-by-step you mentioned and I will try it, the camera is ruined as it is so I might as well try it.

Re: do you think there's still hope? NOPE

It's called "consumption society" for a reason...
I'll probably have to buy a new camera but I'll try to fix this one first.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads