Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Twitchly
Twitchly Senior Member • Posts: 1,044
Re: Installed EasyCover
1

Michael1000 wrote:

I put an EasyCover on today, and will give that a try. I have seen reports about how hard it is to get the EasyCover on. I am not sure what challenges people had. I had no trouble all.

I took the lens off, and put the body cap on. Then I fitted the grip side first. I left the strap D-rings on, and just stretched the EasyCover over them. It was much easier than expected. I surprised myself at how fast it went on. I thought, "Is that it?" I would say the whole process didn't take more than a minute or two.

It's kind of nice knowing I don't have to baby this expensive camera quite as much.

I’ll probably end up getting one, though I think they’re hideous. Maybe I’ll wait until the camera is nearly out of warranty.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

 Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
Re: Installed EasyCover

Twitchly wrote:

Michael1000 wrote:

I put an EasyCover on today, and will give that a try. I have seen reports about how hard it is to get the EasyCover on. I am not sure what challenges people had. I had no trouble all.

I took the lens off, and put the body cap on. Then I fitted the grip side first. I left the strap D-rings on, and just stretched the EasyCover over them. It was much easier than expected. I surprised myself at how fast it went on. I thought, "Is that it?" I would say the whole process didn't take more than a minute or two.

It's kind of nice knowing I don't have to baby this expensive camera quite as much.

I’ll probably end up getting one, though I think they’re hideous. Maybe I’ll wait until the camera is nearly out of warranty.

I got black, so not quite as obvious. I'm going to a photo shoot today. I'll see if anyone notices.

Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
Re: Installed EasyCover

Michael1000 wrote:

Twitchly wrote:

Michael1000 wrote:

I put an EasyCover on today, and will give that a try. I have seen reports about how hard it is to get the EasyCover on. I am not sure what challenges people had. I had no trouble all.

I took the lens off, and put the body cap on. Then I fitted the grip side first. I left the strap D-rings on, and just stretched the EasyCover over them. It was much easier than expected. I surprised myself at how fast it went on. I thought, "Is that it?" I would say the whole process didn't take more than a minute or two.

It's kind of nice knowing I don't have to baby this expensive camera quite as much.

I’ll probably end up getting one, though I think they’re hideous. Maybe I’ll wait until the camera is nearly out of warranty.

I got black, so not quite as obvious. I'm going to a photo shoot today. I'll see if anyone notices.

Took my Z7 with black EasyCover to the photo shoot. Lots of photographers. I didn't get one comment about the EasyCover. I don't think anyone even noticed. I liked it. The EasyCover material was very grippy, and the buttons all worked fine. I didn't have to worry about my fingernails or sunscreen on my hands.

AZSeth Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Installed EasyCover
2

Michael1000 wrote:

Took my Z7 with black EasyCover to the photo shoot. Lots of photographers. I didn't get one comment about the EasyCover. I don't think anyone even noticed. I liked it. The EasyCover material was very grippy, and the buttons all worked fine. I didn't have to worry about my fingernails or sunscreen on my hands.

I'm not really a pro photographer in my civilian life, just a hobbyist, but on this military deployment I'm on (almost done, yay!) I'm a working photographer who is either out on missions taking photos, or taking them around garrison of events, ceremonies, for command photos, or whatever on a near-daily basis.

I got an EasyCover for my Z7 and have worked with it for probably a couple of months now, and with many thousands of photos taken with it on I got lots and lots of experience using it in environments and under time pressures where I had to use the camera quickly, seamlessly, and accurately, and in my opinion the stock EasyCover makes that very difficult to do. In particular the AF-ON button, the joystick (especially the joystick), and that multi-directional switch with the OK button in the middle were very difficult to quickly and accurately manipulate through the EasyCover. Also, the little ridge of rubber right under the photo/video mode selector switch made it awkward to quickly switch between modes with my thumb. Finally, I couldn't get that flash hot-shoe cover flap to insert easily into the flash hot shoe so it just kind of flopped around, getting in the way and making it very inconvenient to actually install or remove a flash (had to grab the flap and pull it way back and down to clear the hot-shoe so the flash would go in).

My solution was to field-mod the EasyCover to eliminate those problems. I cut the flash hot shoe flap right off. I cut off that little half-flap that covered part of the multi-directional switch. I cut out the little rubber nibs that covered the AF-ON button and the joystick. I put my tripod mounting plate on over the rubber, traced around it with the knife tip, then cut that rubber out so that the tripod plate mounts directly up against the camera instead of on top of the EasyCover.

Here's a link to a post I made in the other currently active "my rubber is flaking!" posts, with photos showing the mods I made to the EasyCover, as well as some rubber flaking and aggressive rubber-smoothing wear that my Z7 accumulated over about four months of near-daily use.

My opinion on the EasyCover is that in its stock configuration it dramatically encrappens the usability of the camera under real-world, time-constrained working conditions, but that with the mods that I've done it's OK, and that it will offer some impact resistance and whatnot that I value. A side benefit is that the EasyCover covers up all those places where I and others have been getting that flaking rubber wear. Btw, I don't have acidic sweat, acidic skin oils, or any other of the hypotheses that people have put forth about the flaking rubber things. This is purely a result of using the camera a lot. People saying they've had the camera for so many months and see no wear mean nothing to me, without knowing how hard they've used it in those months. I'm sitting around 24k photos and video clips over about six a half months, the last two with the EasyCover on, to get the rubber flaking I show in that posting. It's been used hard, but not nearly as hard as multiple years of a pro taking 200k+ photos with a serious camera. I'd expect everyone, acidic sweat or not, to see their rubber look like this after enough use, which I think is a shame. Some "earned" wear and tear on a camera I think looks nice, like an old violin, but this is excessive.

 AZSeth's gear list:AZSeth's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
Twitchly
Twitchly Senior Member • Posts: 1,044
Re: Installed EasyCover
2

Ha! Thanks for expanding my vocabulary. “Encrappens” indeed.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

 Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
AZSeth Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Installed EasyCover
2

Twitchly wrote:

Ha! Thanks for expanding my vocabulary. “Encrappens” indeed.

Just doing my part to make sure that linguistic evolution is still a thing. 

As far as the flaking rubber goes, I may wait until before the warranty expires and get it swapped out, or I may not. I don't normally sell stuff very much but if a bit more pro-like Z camera comes out in the next year or two I might want to sell the Z7 and move to it. I personally don't really mind the worn look, because it's been used hard and it shows. But potential 2nd-hand buyers may not appreciate it.

I once read about some wealthy Leica owners who would actually buff down corners and edges and whatnot to make their cameras look used because it gave them more street cred amongst some of the more gear-hound types, whose gear mysteriously always looks brand new. I found it amusing then, and I guess the idea that a little wear on my gear not being such a bad thing kind of stuck with me.

 AZSeth's gear list:AZSeth's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
wco81 Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re: Installed EasyCover
1

Could it be more than cosmetic?

If it peels off near the doors, maybe the weather sealing becomes compromised?

AZSeth Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Installed EasyCover

wco81 wrote:

Could it be more than cosmetic?

If it peels off near the doors, maybe the weather sealing becomes compromised?

I can't say that it's not part of the weather sealing, but I'd be surprised if it were.

Plus, it's not peeling off en masse; the rubber is simply separating in thin layers at certain points of wear. At the points where the flaking is happening, there's still rubber underneath it. It appears to be a surface phenomenon.

 AZSeth's gear list:AZSeth's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
KuvaPanda Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Installed EasyCover

Nice to hear real world experiences! Just curious, do you ever get dirt or anything else unwanted under the easycover?

 KuvaPanda's gear list:KuvaPanda's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +1 more
AZSeth Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Installed EasyCover

KuvaPanda wrote:

Nice to hear real world experiences! Just curious, do you ever get dirt or anything else unwanted under the easycover?

I haven't yet taken the Z7 into an environment where I expected it to get actual dirt on it, so that hasn't happened. If I expect to go into such an environment, I'll bring the D500 (not mine).   The EasyCover isn't exactly a tight fit, though it's tight enough in most places. I would expect that if the camera got truly dirty some of that would work its way under the rubber. In that case I'd definitely recommend taking it off and cleaning it and the camera both, so the dirt isn't trapped under the rubber grinding away at the camera.

Think cell phone cases: have you ever removed a cellphone that's been in a fairly tightly gripping case and been kind of shocked at how much grit had worked its way in there? I would expect about the same thing to happen with the camera cover. If one's motivation for putting the cover on is to eliminate wear so it looks as new as possible, one will have to be diligent about cleaning under the cover from time to time. It would be a fool's errand, though, because some of the parts that aren't covered (memory card hatch, I'm looking at you) are also the parts that wear the most.

 AZSeth's gear list:AZSeth's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
KuvaPanda Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Installed EasyCover

Yeah that's what I though. Getting even a little bit of sand under the cover might be a problem. I'm planning to use my Z7 for quite some time, probably less than 7 years I had D800 but still...

 KuvaPanda's gear list:KuvaPanda's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
Re: Installed EasyCover

KuvaPanda wrote:

Yeah that's what I though. Getting even a little bit of sand under the cover might be a problem. I'm planning to use my Z7 for quite some time, probably less than 7 years I had D800 but still...

I just installed an EasyCover, so I don't have long term experience.  A couple of things do come to mind.  It's a pretty tight fit, so it is not going to be that easy for dirt, and, especially sand to get under the cover.  Also it is easy enough to check the areas where it seals, since it is so flexible.

If there is that much dirt or sand around, you are likely to do a lot more wear on the grip just with your hands.

Also the EasyCover does protect the buttons from getting dirt in them.

Overall, I would much rather have an EasyCover in a dirty environment than not.

SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,159
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

I bought an Easy cover, and I also ordered a Lim's Design "half case" or cover.

While not providing as much protection as the Easy Cover, I think the Lim's Design case offers enough protection in all the right spots and gives me a place to rest my pinky finger. I also much prefer the ergonomics since the buttons and joystick are not covered. Is anyone else using the Lim's Design unit?

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

 SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
wco81 Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

SteveCooper wrote:

I bought an Easy cover, and I also ordered a Lim's Design "half case" or cover.

While not providing as much protection as the Easy Cover, I think the Lim's Design case offers enough protection in all the right spots and gives me a place to rest my pinky finger. I also much prefer the ergonomics since the buttons and joystick are not covered. Is anyone else using the Lim's Design unit?

Sounds interesting but $120 for half case made of leather.

Doesn't seem like you'd be able to use an L bracket with it?

SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Senior Member • Posts: 1,101
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

wco81 wrote:

SteveCooper wrote:

I bought an Easy cover, and I also ordered a Lim's Design "half case" or cover.

While not providing as much protection as the Easy Cover, I think the Lim's Design case offers enough protection in all the right spots and gives me a place to rest my pinky finger. I also much prefer the ergonomics since the buttons and joystick are not covered. Is anyone else using the Lim's Design unit?

Sounds interesting but $120 for half case made of leather.

Doesn't seem like you'd be able to use an L bracket with it?

Does this corner still wear out for those with L brackets, or is the L bracket helping to protect the corner?

 SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,159
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?
1

I'll admit that it is not cheap, but I like it. Here are more detailed views:

http://www.limsdesign.com/product/detail.html?product_no=190&cate_no=1&display_group=2

-- hide signature --

(that "thing" I'm playing is called an EVI, short for Electronic Valve Instrument

 SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
wco81 Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re: Installed EasyCover

Michael1000 wrote:

KuvaPanda wrote:

Yeah that's what I though. Getting even a little bit of sand under the cover might be a problem. I'm planning to use my Z7 for quite some time, probably less than 7 years I had D800 but still...

I just installed an EasyCover, so I don't have long term experience. A couple of things do come to mind. It's a pretty tight fit, so it is not going to be that easy for dirt, and, especially sand to get under the cover. Also it is easy enough to check the areas where it seals, since it is so flexible.

If there is that much dirt or sand around, you are likely to do a lot more wear on the grip just with your hands.

Also the EasyCover does protect the buttons from getting dirt in them.

Overall, I would much rather have an EasyCover in a dirty environment than not.

Did you apply the screen cover?  Just wondering if it's worth doing.

Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
Re: Installed EasyCover

wco81 wrote:

Michael1000 wrote:

KuvaPanda wrote:

Yeah that's what I though. Getting even a little bit of sand under the cover might be a problem. I'm planning to use my Z7 for quite some time, probably less than 7 years I had D800 but still...

I just installed an EasyCover, so I don't have long term experience. A couple of things do come to mind. It's a pretty tight fit, so it is not going to be that easy for dirt, and, especially sand to get under the cover. Also it is easy enough to check the areas where it seals, since it is so flexible.

If there is that much dirt or sand around, you are likely to do a lot more wear on the grip just with your hands.

Also the EasyCover does protect the buttons from getting dirt in them.

Overall, I would much rather have an EasyCover in a dirty environment than not.

Did you apply the screen cover? Just wondering if it's worth doing.

I tried to, but had no luck getting the bubbles out of it.  I don't think I am the greatest at this task, as I have never had good luck getting them on.  If you can get it on, I think it is a good idea.

AZSeth Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Installed EasyCover

wco81 wrote:

Did you apply the screen cover? Just wondering if it's worth doing.

I know you were asking someone else, but I'll show you a pic that might help make up your mind. The screen cover took the hit so my LCD monitor didn't have to. Touch screen functionality is unchanged.

 AZSeth's gear list:AZSeth's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
KuvaPanda Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Installed EasyCover

Hmm true. Not using the camera in super dirty environments, just thinking if anything gets under the cover it would stay there and rub against the paint or rubber etc.

 KuvaPanda's gear list:KuvaPanda's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads