Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

macmaven wrote:

In his review in PhotographyLife, of the Z7, Nasim Mansurov mentions:
"Two of the six Nikon Z7 camera bodies showed signs of rubber wearing off on the grip, which is definitely an issue we are concerned about, as we have not experienced similar problems with Nikon’s DSLR cameras in the past."

I am waiting patiently for EasyCover to come out with their protective cover, so far, no word other than ht is in development.

I hate sending off cameras to Nikon just to replace the rubber grips.

Anyone seeing noticeable wear on their grip yet?

Macmaven

Solution, wear nitrile gloves?

xPhoenix
xPhoenix Senior Member • Posts: 1,746

I think you guys are overthinking this.  It appears Nikon screwed up (imagine that), and this is a QC issue.  I think the best thing to do is call them and expect them to fix this problem.  Regardless of how you hold your camera, or the size of your hands, the grips should not be wearing away like this.

xPhoenix's gear list:xPhoenix's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +4 more
Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,032

sungphoto wrote:

Hm - hand size may be the issue, as my more fitted gloves (like ones I use when riding a motorcycle) is on the smaller side of medium.

I also hold the grip pretty loosely, and have my left hand cradled on the bottom of the camera supporting most of the weight. My right hand is only used to stabilize the camera and very little weight is applied to it. I also use back button focus, which I'm guessing biases my hand pressure. I've grown to have a really light right hand grip with my cameras the last several years as I often do 8-10 hour shoot days, and a tight grip wears out your hand faster.

No doubt to me that my hands are causing the wear on the rubber... especially since I moved shooting zoom to F1. (I use BBF, too... wouldn’t leave home without it, but it’s for AF, of course and I shoot mainly MF.) My concern is that the rubber should be far more resistant to this wear. I’ve been getting in and out of the leather seat of my car for going on three years now, but it still looks like the day I fell in love with it on the showroom floor.

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
BuckeyeGuy Regular Member • Posts: 153

macmaven wrote:

"Two of the six Nikon Z7 camera bodies showed signs of rubber wearing off on the grip, which is definitely an issue we are concerned about, as we have not experienced similar problems with Nikon’s DSLR cameras in the past."

I am waiting patiently for EasyCover to come out with their protective cover, so far, no word other than ht is in development.

Macmaven

I was in a local used camera store the other day and they had a case full of d800s that were marked way down. All had less than 75,000 clicks, and every one (like 10 total) had the rubber grip delaminating and pulling away from the body . Is that what you mean by wear?

BuckeyeGuy's gear list:BuckeyeGuy's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +1 more
Crazy asian New Member • Posts: 1

It should not be a matter of big hand, long nail or hard grip if it is made with good quality rubber. Adding casing is not the right way to solve the problem in my mind. Nikon should address this issue with better rubber replacement.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 461

Crazy asian wrote:

It should not be a matter of big hand, long nail or hard grip if it is made with good quality rubber. Adding casing is not the right way to solve the problem in my mind. Nikon should address this issue with better rubber replacement.

I’ve been shooting with my z7 for about 3 months, pretty regularly and I see no wear on the area in the pics.

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,240

Pick up Easycover today for Niko Z6 - good and snuggle fit but bit ^%^%^^ fiddly to put on

To protect the Z6 from my sharp nails and possibly oily / greasy hands, e.g., suncream, hand cream destroying / damaging grip I picked up a good Z6 / Z7 Easycover and bit difficult to fit on and you need to know where buttons are as the descriptions are embedded into plastic cover but Black- had to cut extra space for the neck strap connectors to the camera. Well worth $30 / £30 to protect as much as possible of the legendary Z6 / Z7.

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +20 more
Twitchly
Twitchly Senior Member • Posts: 1,044

So has anyone from this thread had the rubber replaced by Nikon yet? Can you report back on how it went?

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
jvm156 New Member • Posts: 1

I noticed yesterday that mine is wearing off just like the other photos. I got the camera in January and its had very light, in studio usage... I am not happy. this is an expensive device. My D750 has been through hell and it doesn't have this kind of wear at all after 5 years...

Andre Yew Contributing Member • Posts: 680

Same here: light use on my Z6 so far, and yesterday I also noticed  the same area inside the grip flaking off. So of course, I searched DPR to see if anyone else had this problem.

Jonathan F/2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,200

jvm156 wrote:

I noticed yesterday that mine is wearing off just like the other photos. I got the camera in January and its had very light, in studio usage... I am not happy. this is an expensive device. My D750 has been through hell and it doesn't have this kind of wear at all after 5 years...

I briefly owned the Z6 and noticed that the grip doesn't have the same indent like the D750. On the Z6 your fingers dig into the body which causes the premature rubber wear. I say either send it in for rubber replacement or get a camera half case off Amazon or Ebay.

bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 2,429

Jonathan F/2 wrote:

jvm156 wrote:

I briefly owned the Z6 and noticed that the grip doesn't have the same indent like the D750. On the Z6 your fingers dig into the body which causes the premature rubber wear. I say either send it in for rubber replacement or get a camera half case off Amazon or Ebay.

They'll fix the grip in the ZII Still rocking my D750...

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Samsung Galaxy Note9 +1 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,417

bocajrs wrote:

Jonathan F/2 wrote:

jvm156 wrote:

They'll fix the grip in the ZII Still rocking my D750...

Yeah, they made tons of improvements from the D750 to the Z6 so I guess that's how it usually works.

KuvaPanda Forum Member • Posts: 58

Wondering if it's easy to do replace? Eventually there should be replacement parts available at Ebay..
D800 needed a lot of disassembly to replace the grip rubber... My understanding is D810 was already easier. Hoping the replacement was made easy with Z6/7...

KuvaPanda's gear list:KuvaPanda's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +1 more
SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Senior Member • Posts: 1,103

Jonathan F/2 wrote:

jvm156 wrote:

Maybe it's me, but looking at that particular corner the leather looks to be stretched a little too tight/thin. I don't feel the small amount of cushion that I can feel on other parts/locations of the leather.

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Jonathan F/2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,200

SaltyPeanut wrote:

Jonathan F/2 wrote:

jvm156 wrote:

Maybe it's me, but looking at that particular corner the leather looks to be stretched a little too tight/thin. I don't feel the small amount of cushion that I can feel on other parts/locations of the leather.

Honestly I don't think it's a defect. I think it's more of a contour/ergonomic design issue. The way you grip a Z body is different from a D750 for example. The way your hand holds the camera forces your fingernails into the camera grip. Nikon can either ignore it and keep fixing the cameras for free; wait until a class action suit pops up and they're forced to issue a non-mandatory recall; or change out the rubber grip material to a harder grade rubber on future bodies if they haven't done so already.

butterbeer Forum Member • Posts: 81

macmaven wrote:

Macmaven

I preordered my Z7, so have been shooting it regularly (I'm a full time pro) since October. No visible wear on the rubber.

carlgorski Contributing Member • Posts: 766

Already? Quality indeed.

wco81 Contributing Member • Posts: 559

Twitchly wrote:

So has anyone from this thread had the rubber replaced by Nikon yet? Can you report back on how it went?

My Z7 has been with them since 3/19.

I'm going to call tomorrow.

But they indicated that they are replacing under warranty.

And as someone noted above, D750 isn't as fragile.

I have a 4-5 year old D750 and it exhibits none of the problems of the rubber peeling off.  In my case, in two different points.

Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,576
Installed EasyCover

I put an EasyCover on today, and will give that a try. I have seen reports about how hard it is to get the EasyCover on. I am not sure what challenges people had. I had no trouble all.

I took the lens off, and put the body cap on. Then I fitted the grip side first. I left the strap D-rings on, and just stretched the EasyCover over them. It was much easier than expected. I surprised myself at how fast it went on.  I thought, "Is that it?"  I would say the whole process didn't take more than a minute or two.

It's kind of nice knowing I don't have to baby this expensive camera quite as much.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads