Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,345
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

eno2 wrote:

Several people here have reported the same problem:

In my opinion, this is a serious problem that will affect all Nikon Z cameras sooner rater than later!

It's such a pity that Nikon didn't tested the new material they've put on the new Z cameras.

Looks like long-strong nail damage...

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +1 more
TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,259

these claims of rubber cover damage allways crop up shortly after a new release , its uncanny ,i remember the same complaints with the D300 and other models since , I had my D300 8 years ,went way over the claimed shutter life and apart from some dulling  never neaded to change any rubbers , ditto for my D800 , D810 etc. and my nails are quite long . my D6 will be the same ,  some users seem to have the knack for destroying the rubber parts , i dont know why ,I suspect it is not just long finger nails.

as for those ugly silicone covers , possibly the worse thing we could put on our cameras .  they create more problems than they cure .as dust dirt and even rain gets between the layers and end up being ground away between the flexible outer layer and the inner one .  at least without one you can keep a visual check on your cameras exterior and give it a regular wipe down to keep it good . you cannot possibly see what is going on between the layers of those horrible covers.

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +53 more
eno2 Regular Member • Posts: 191

StanyBuyle wrote:

Those are different reports from different people.

If you read trough the messages on the Facebook group, one of person has a picture with his 4 years old D750 and that one has no marks what so ever (with the same fingernails).

StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,345
Re: Trim your nails

sandy b wrote:

Easy fix

+1. Clearly nail damage on some of the pictures.

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +1 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,561

eno2 wrote:

StanyBuyle wrote:

Those are different reports from different people.

If you read trough the messages on the Facebook group, one of person has a picture with his 4 years old D750 and that one has no marks what so ever (with the same fingernails).

...eventually his nails got too long apparently. I have cut my nails many times during four years so my nails are not the same as four years ago. ☺

Anyway I am not that worried about whan one person claims. Who knows how he or she is handling the camera. I doubt it is going to be a problem for me, but if I am wrong I will deal with it and contact Nikon.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer
Re: Trim your nails

StanyBuyle wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Easy fix

+1. Clearly nail damage on some of the pictures.

Exactly. Anything soft can be damaged by the uncut nails. If the grip would be hard peole would complain about that. In fact, I think it would be a bigger problem.

Nikon Z7
Kurgo Regular Member • Posts: 225

I'm honestly amazed how this is chalked up as "yeah, long nails". We're talking about professional photographers, who have handled dozens and dozens of bodies from all possible brands, if they complain about something like this it tells me that Nikon either cheapened out or had problems with a few models so far as the rubber coating is involved. Saying "but didn't happen to me so not true" is borderline idiotic and akin to me saying "my phone fell on its face and the glass didn't crack, ergo all phones can fall on their face without breaking the front glass". If it didn't happen to you, great, it means you didn't get a defective unit, go about your merry way.

olyflyer

Kurgo wrote:

Saying "but didn't happen to me so not true" is borderline idiotic

Saying that "but it did happen to me so it is true" is just as idiotic. I don't know how they grab and hold their cameras. I just checked today and my fingers are not even touching the area of "problems".

Also, the fact that they might have handled many cameras before also says nothing. The Z is much smaller than any pro DSLR I have seen, so you don't have as much space, and perhaps you can't grab it the same way you used to grab a D5, or whatever else you have.

Nikon Z7
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,232

Possibly one of the upcoming Z6 and Z7 easycovers may help even though they may look ugly.

https://www.easycover.eu/camera-cases

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +20 more
xPhoenix
xPhoenix Senior Member • Posts: 1,746

If it had two memory card slots, it'd probably be better balanced, and people's nails wouldn't be digging in so hard

xPhoenix's gear list:xPhoenix's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +4 more

Jared Polin's relatively new Z6 camera and Ephotozine's Z7 reviewed camera fracture the same rubber wearing off on the grip like the other reports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVopIPokBEc&fbclid=IwAR30YDEu20TWznas87KI7lKjCa7iVTpTkIXTxfjhcjNy6vRqs6Q9nQbhu9M

https://www.ephotozine.com/articles/nikon-z7-review-32820/images/highres-Nikon-Z7-1_1539080674.jpg

I have a strong feeling until 2019 spring, most if not all Nikon Z owners who bought their cameras this year will encoder the same problems.

To me this is simply unacceptable for such an expensive equipment!

xPhoenix
xPhoenix Senior Member • Posts: 1,746

eno2 wrote:

Jared Polin's relatively new Z6 camera and Ephotozine's Z7 reviewed camera fracture the same rubber wearing off on the grip like the other reports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVopIPokBEc&fbclid=IwAR30YDEu20TWznas87KI7lKjCa7iVTpTkIXTxfjhcjNy6vRqs6Q9nQbhu9M

https://www.ephotozine.com/articles/nikon-z7-review-32820/images/highres-Nikon-Z7-1_1539080674.jpg

I have a strong feeling until 2019 spring, most if not all Nikon Z owners who bought their cameras this year will encoder the same problems.

It is pretty crazy that this is happening, and I agree it's unacceptable.  The question is, how the heck did they manage to screw this up?  I mean they've been making bodies with rubbery grips for a loooong time.  Did they just cheap out on materials or something?

xPhoenix's gear list:xPhoenix's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +4 more

xPhoenix wrote:

It is pretty crazy that this is happening, and I agree it's unacceptable. The question is, how the heck did they manage to screw this up? I mean they've been making bodies with rubbery grips for a loooong time. Did they just cheap out on materials or something?

I don't know, but Nikon must acknowledge this problem, fix it in the upcoming cameras and offer a free and durable grip material replacement for the buyers who experienced or will experience it some day (in the warranty period).

Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,021

xPhoenix wrote:

eno2 wrote:

It is pretty crazy that this is happening, and I agree it's unacceptable. The question is, how the heck did they manage to screw this up? I mean they've been making bodies with rubbery grips for a loooong time. Did they just cheap out on materials or something?

Likely they were in a rush to get them shipped so didn’t cure them as long as usual out in the grip drying yard. I’m seeing this on my Z7 which I received on day one. Serial is 30019XX.

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 461

I've been using my Z7 quite a bit (full time photographer) the last month and a half and see no visible wear on the camera.

I wonder if there are commonalities in handholding technique or hand size amongst those who have experienced premature wear on the grip rubber.

In other words, don't be a douche and hold a camera like this:

Hilifer

sungphoto wrote:

I've been using my Z7 quite a bit (full time photographer) the last month and a half and see no visible wear on the camera.

Good to hear that you are not affected.

I wonder if there are commonalities in handholding technique or hand size amongst those who have experienced premature wear on the grip rubber.

I think this is the central premise here, along with anecdotal evidence that the rubber is not standing up for those users (including me).

In other words, don't be a douche and hold a camera like this:

How does personal hygiene factor into this?

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more

On that note (not hygiene), considering you are experiencing what seems like somewhat abnormal wear, do you have any theories why it's occurring?

Do you have large-ish hands? Do you typically shoot one-handed? Do you tend to use heavier/larger lenses that might put more pressure on a certain point of the grip?

Interesting to see this happening on the Z, as it's something that was an issue on my A7R2 bodies as well, but in that case it was the thumb pad that wore prematurely. I wore through the back thumb pad down to the plastic in about 5-6 months. In that case I was quoted a minimum of $250 plus parts to repair it, so I did it myself

It'd be interesting to find out how much it'd cost to replace the rubbers though, as they will eventually require replacement on most cameras with enough usage. From the lensrental teardown, the rubber grip material looks like a pain to remove as it's held by a combo of screws and glue: "Nikon uses more of a ‘you ain’t getting this off without a fight and a heat gun’ adhesive. Kind of a pain for disassembly/reassembly, but the strong adhesive, along with lots of overlapping edges covered by the grip rubber is kind of impressive. In many places the plastic shell doesn’t just interlock; it overlaps, screws together and then is covered with rubber grip and adhesive. That should not only give a superior weather seal, but it’s also probably giving some added strength to the assembly."

However, on the good side, it doesn't require completely disassembly of the case like the Sony to replace the grips. The thumb pad thankfully is super easy to replace from the looks of it, as it is integrated with the card door (you have to remove the entire rear casing of the Sony A7R2 bodies to replace the thumb grip).

Hilifer

sungphoto wrote:

On that note (not hygiene), considering you are experiencing what seems like somewhat abnormal wear, do you have any theories why it's occurring?

i think it’s because the material was either not applied correctly or the formulation was inappropriate for the use. To me, this feels like a QA issue.

Do you have large-ish hands? Do you typically shoot one-handed? Do you tend to use heavier/larger lenses that might put more pressure on a certain point of the grip?

While I don’t consider my hands to be large-ish, I do buy and wear large-sized gloves. I don’t shoot one-handed, but I’m generally gripping my camera with one hand to keep it from bouncing on my sling strap. Most of the time, I have wide or ultra-wide MF glass mounted. Now and then, I have a CV 125/2.5 mounted, about 750g, I think.

Interesting to see this happening on the Z, as it's something that was an issue on my A7R2 bodies as well, but in that case it was the thumb pad that wore prematurely. I wore through the back thumb pad down to the plastic in about 5-6 months. In that case I was quoted a minimum of $250 plus parts to repair it, so I did it myself

It'd be interesting to find out how much it'd cost to replace the rubbers though, as they will eventually require replacement on most cameras with enough usage. From the lensrental teardown, the rubber grip material looks like a pain to remove as it's held by a combo of screws and glue: "Nikon uses more of a ‘you ain’t getting this off without a fight and a heat gun’ adhesive. Kind of a pain for disassembly/reassembly, but the strong adhesive, along with lots of overlapping edges covered by the grip rubber is kind of impressive. In many places the plastic shell doesn’t just interlock; it overlaps, screws together and then is covered with rubber grip and adhesive. That should not only give a superior weather seal, but it’s also probably giving some added strength to the assembly."

However, on the good side, it doesn't require completely disassembly of the case like the Sony to replace the grips. The thumb pad thankfully is super easy to replace from the looks of it, as it is integrated with the card door (you have to remove the entire rear casing of the Sony A7R2 bodies to replace the thumb grip).

I imagine, though I haven’t examined it closely, that correction may not be simple.

-- hide signature --

Moretti

Hm - hand size may be the issue, as my more fitted gloves (like ones I use when riding a motorcycle) is on the smaller side of medium.

I also hold the grip pretty loosely, and have my left hand cradled on the bottom of the camera supporting most of the weight. My right hand is only used to stabilize the camera and very little weight is applied to it. I also use back button focus, which I'm guessing biases my hand pressure. I've grown to have a really light right hand grip with my cameras the last several years as I often do 8-10 hour shoot days, and a tight grip wears out your hand faster.

gianfranco75 Contributing Member • Posts: 540

I also use back button focus, but have small hands and I think in my case the wear comes from holding the camera while I walk around, and not when shooting. I wrote here yesterday:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62056724

gianfranco75's gear list:gianfranco75's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads