Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
macmaven Contributing Member • Posts: 958
Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

In his review in PhotographyLife, of the Z7, Nasim Mansurov mentions:
"Two of the six Nikon Z7 camera bodies showed signs of rubber wearing off on the grip, which is definitely an issue we are concerned about, as we have not experienced similar problems with Nikon’s DSLR cameras in the past."

I am waiting patiently for EasyCover to come out with their protective cover, so far, no word other than ht is in development.

I hate sending off cameras to Nikon just to replace the rubber grips.

Anyone seeing noticeable wear on their grip yet?

Macmaven

macmaven's gear list:macmaven's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ncsakany
ncsakany Senior Member • Posts: 2,250
Nail clippers and file.

Boom, done. Problem solved.

Personally, I see zero wear in the almost two months that I have had the camera (got it on release date).

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Nikon Z7 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4
jvanatta Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Z7: rubber wearing off on the grip?

Yes, mine had noticeable wear within a week or two. I have long fingers and longish nails, and they definitely contact the rubber when I grip tightly.

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,242

they coming very soon and not bad for £30 to protect a £2/3k camera from wear and tear to the grip

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +20 more
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,242

here is their url.

https://www.easycover.eu/camera-cases

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +20 more
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,610

I keep my nails very short for typing and I’ve seen no wear on my Z7.   It’s only two weeks old though

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
myshkin Senior Member • Posts: 1,298

I've used mine quite a bit in the past month and I don't see any marks or wear on the grip area. Maybe it depends how you hold it. I don't feel like I dig into the grip with my finger nails.

eno2 Regular Member • Posts: 193

Several people here have reported the same problem:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NikonMirrorless/permalink/451911088668161/

Hatlaczki BalázsAfter 1 month and 7200 shots, my middle finger started scratching the rubber.

Yinan Zhao It happened a week ago.

Pavel Douda I saw the same thing on ambasadors cameras Z7 and Z6, it is only visual problem, which another people do not see.

Michael Cheung Whoops, didn't even notice until I saw your post but my Z7 shows wear in the same place. <4000 shots so far.

Not the biggest deal, but you'd hope for better durability after such a short time. Neither my D850 or D750 grips showed anything close to this after much longer use.

In my opinion, this is a serious problem that will affect all Nikon Z cameras sooner rater than later!

It's such a pity that Nikon didn't tested the new material they've put on the new Z cameras.

tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,889

I do not have my Z6 yet but have already ordered this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-order-LIMS-Genuine-Leather-Camera-Half-Case-Dovetail-Plate-Nikon-Z7-Z6-BR-/253991553457?hash=item3b231389b1

I have one on both of my Sony Bodies and similar (Gariz) on my Df.  Adds some height to the grip and keeps my hands off the Nikon grips.   Also had one on the a7ii I sold.

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

D200_4me
My example

I've had mine since Oct 29.  No sign of wear.  I do think Nikon will end up having to replace some grip rubber and may change the type they use.  Looks like a coating coming off.

No wear on mine after a month of use.  And for reference, my fingernails (not long).  I can't stand to have them longer, especially when typing on a keyboard.

-- hide signature --
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
eno2 Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: My example

Keep us informed please of what happens in the next couple of months with your grip material.

All the best!

D200_4me

eno2 wrote:

Keep us informed please of what happens in the next couple of months with your grip material.

All the best!

Will do.  I normally 'baby' my photo gear so if mine starts peeling, I'll send it to Nikon if it's still under warranty.  I imagine those people that have the problem have longer nails than me.  Mine are so short that it's almost impossible for the nail to touch that part of the rubber unless I roll my finger in a little.

-- hide signature --
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,677

thomas2279f wrote:

here is their url.

https://www.easycover.eu/camera-cases

Yes, you can buy those if you want to make you camera ugly and glow in the dark...

Me, I prefer not to get those. I don't care if after years of use the camera looks like it is used.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
olyflyer

We can see similar alerts EVERY time a new camera is released, at least every camera I had, had similar "alarming reports". OK, I only have experience with Olympus and a few Nikons, but alarming reports are not new, all and every one had them.

I had my camera for three weeks and I checked after reading your post, but found no signs of wear and tear. Perhaps the people who have problems are the hard grabbing type, or have large hands, long fingers and nails, have sweaty hands, I don't know, but I haven't yet noticed any issues. The only thing I had problems with was a lens for my Nikon V1. The zoom grip got lose and larger, so Nikon replaced for free (outside warranty). I expect them to fix my Z7 as well, if I ever need to get it fixed/replaced.

Nikon Z7
olyflyer

D200_4me wrote:

I've had mine since Oct 29. No sign of wear. I do think Nikon will end up having to replace some grip rubber and may change the type they use. Looks like a coating coming off.

No wear on mine after a month of use. And for reference, my fingernails (not long). I can't stand to have them longer, especially when typing on a keyboard.

I had my camera for three weeks and it still looks like yours, but even though I try to keep my nails short because I also use keyboards day in and day out and hate when my nails are too long and hitting the keys, I don't have your disciplinary short nails. I envy people who can keep their nails in the condition you keep yours...

Nikon Z7
D200_4me

olyflyer wrote:

I had my camera for three weeks and it still looks like yours, but even though I try to keep my nails short because I also use keyboards day in and day out and hate when my nails are too long and hitting the keys, I don't have your disciplinary short nails. I envy people who can keep their nails in the condition you keep yours...

Haha    My nails grow quick so I trim them at least once a week (or maybe that's normal?).  I have an office job these days vs the installation work I did in the past (but same field though) so my nails don't get beat up much.  When I work outside around the garden I usually just put on some gloves.

I just checked where my fingers rest when holding the Z7.  I'm 5'8" tall with what I assume are normal size hands for that height and the tips of my index and middle finger don't really bottom out on the body.  My index finger would be up near the shutter release anyway and my middle finger at that point isn't touching the body near the lens.  I have to reach slightly to press the Fn buttons (one for spot metering and one for changing image area DX/FX).

-- hide signature --
Jay A Senior Member • Posts: 2,035

This is interesting. When I first purchased my Z7 several weeks ago, it felt like something was wrong with the surface. It almost felt like it was several years old and the rubber was starting to get sticky (which sometimes does happen with Nikon cameras). I felt like I needed to wipe my hand off all the time after holding the camera.

For various reasons, I returned that camera, received a replacement as well as purchasing a second body and haven't felt the same thing with either of them. Makes me wonder if some of the early bodies had some problem with the rubber used on them.

D200_4me

Jay A wrote:

For various reasons, I returned that camera, received a replacement as well as purchasing a second body and haven't felt the same thing with either of them. Makes me wonder if some of the early bodies had some problem with the rubber used on them.

Hmmm....possibly something with the earliest bodies they sold?  Who knows.

For the record, I haven't felt what you mentioned on the first one you had.  Mine was bought Oct 28 (almost a month after the Z7 was released?) and it already had the new firmware installed, so I think mine was a fairly fresh build from the factory.

-- hide signature --
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,339
Trim your nails

Easy fix

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
NCB Contributing Member • Posts: 949
Re: Trim your nails

sandy b wrote:

Easy fix

Not always, depends on the shape of the ends of your fingers. Some of us, like me, don't have much in the way of pads! So fingernails have a tendancy to stick out even when trimmed back. I play the piano, and it's a problem there, also on computer keyboards.

Like a lot of camera grips, the Z one is a bit on the thin side (to me). It's thinner at the end; if it was bulkier there then there would be less likelyhood of the fingertips reaching the camera body by the base. Just been experimenting with the Z6; it's not a problem if the thumb at the back is right on the back rather than half on the corner. That's probably what the designer intended.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads