Digital photo professional become extremely buggy?

Started Nov 5, 2018 | Discussions
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,505
Re: 10

Blake Cook wrote:

trulandphoto wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

OP is using Windows 10

Yes, I knew that. Thanks, though.

Yes, we knew that we were just suggesting that once he fixes his PC problem he should get a five year old MacBook and his problems won't return.

One issue with a Mac. If things seem a bit buggy you will invariably find that a Microsoft Office App is open in background. Quit the app and all returns to normal.

I don't have any Microsoft Office stuff on my 7 year old MacBook, just DPP, DxO Optics Elite, Luminar and Sequator.  Just wish it were half as stable as Windows 95.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 15,072

Blake Cook wrote:

trulandphoto wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

OP is using Windows 10

Yes, I knew that. Thanks, though.

Yes, we knew that we were just suggesting that once he fixes his PC problem he should get a five year old MacBook and his problems won't return.

I own a five year old MacBook Pro. No problems in iOS, but then no problems with Win either (via Boot Camp). 

No problems on a Win machine, either.

I noticed that the latest Windows versions of DPP are resource hungry and the fan kicks off too often. Using the GPU or not (3rd tab in the Preferences) can make a difference.

checkmate91 Regular Member • Posts: 264

W10 here with an i7 and 16GB of mem, nvidia chip of some sort (it's a 2014 Dell 9530) and running DPP4, no problems other than Windows can't view the raws. Its performance on rendering video via Adobe Premier Pro is astonishing(ly good)

checkmate91's gear list:checkmate91's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +6 more
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 3,013
Re: Digital photo professional become extremely buggy?

Andy01 wrote:

+4 - never had a problem.

Maybe the OP's computer just isn't up to the task. DPP can be quite slow when accessing a folder containing a few thousand RAW images, and I have a 7th gen i5-7660K desktop with 16Gb of RAM, so a older PC or laptop would certainly struggle, perhaps to the point of crashing.

Colin

Ten years of use, few times DPP freezing. But that's because I had too many other programs active. Then the harddisk starts to rattle, windows are not loading etc. and task manager is needed to start all over again.

But it's not getting buggy then, it simply does not do what you are asking, or you'll have to wait half an hour.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,466

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

+4 - never had a problem.

Maybe the OP's computer just isn't up to the task. DPP can be quite slow when accessing a folder containing a few thousand RAW images, and I have a 7th gen i5-7660K desktop with 16Gb of RAM, so a older PC or laptop would certainly struggle, perhaps to the point of crashing.

Colin

Ten years of use, few times DPP freezing. But that's because I had too many other programs active. Then the harddisk starts to rattle, windows are not loading etc. and task manager is needed to start all over again.

But it's not getting buggy then, it simply does not do what you are asking, or you'll have to wait half an hour.

in my experience, it is when you install/uninstall buggy apps to begin with and they leave behind active files, such as .dll and others behind that sap resources in a desktop or laptop every times you turn on your pc. it has happen to me numerous times, to the point that i had to reinstall windows from ground up to start fresh. i would seriously recommend not install cute apps and then uninstall them and you won't have any serious issue. i have been using DPP since 2006 when i purchased my 5D and not once did it act up on me! my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

TrackDayLT4 Forum Member • Posts: 92

I had a similar problem recently and finally this week found a fix, but I don't understand the problem.

This is on my Windows 10 Laptop.

I have been using DPP4 since it came out and update it occasionally.   About a month ago I started having DPP crash (4.7.x) which had never happened before.  It kept getting worse so I upgraded to the latest 4.9.20 but that didn't help.

My normal process is to pull the SD card from my camera and plug it into the built in card reader on my laptop and transfer the files to my hard drive.  Then I would open up DPP and start editing the files on the hard drive.  I typically did not take out the SD card from the laptop.

Monday this week, after DPP crashed, I shutdown the laptop and before restarting, pulled out the SD card.  After restarting DPP worked fine.  On Tuesday, after taking more pictures, I put the SD card in again and as before DPP crashed.

I have now repeatably had DPP crash with the SD card in the card reader and not crash when the SD card is not in the card reader.   I don't know why, but since I have started taking the SD card out before starting DPP, I have not had a single crash.

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,466

TrackDayLT4 wrote:

I had a similar problem recently and finally this week found a fix, but I don't understand the problem.

This is on my Windows 10 Laptop.

I have been using DPP4 since it came out and update it occasionally. About a month ago I started having DPP crash (4.7.x) which had never happened before. It kept getting worse so I upgraded to the latest 4.9.20 but that didn't help.

My normal process is to pull the SD card from my camera and plug it into the built in card reader on my laptop and transfer the files to my hard drive. Then I would open up DPP and start editing the files on the hard drive. I typically did not take out the SD card from the laptop.

Monday this week, after DPP crashed, I shutdown the laptop and before restarting, pulled out the SD card. After restarting DPP worked fine. On Tuesday, after taking more pictures, I put the SD card in again and as before DPP crashed.

I have now repeatably had DPP crash with the SD card in the card reader and not crash when the SD card is not in the card reader. I don't know why, but since I have started taking the SD card out before starting DPP, I have not had a single crash.

sorry to hear that!

what i do consistently since 2006 is that i take the CF out of the camera and stick it in the card reader and download all of the photo files on my desktop (drag and drop) and then i wait to make sure files have downloaded on my desktop and also download them on a different drive as well. then, i'd delete the from CF card (files only) and keep the card clean (i don't reformat the CF card for a long time--when reformatting is needed, it should be done in camera, not on pc) for the next use. at this point, i check to make sure all the files open and there is no issue and move on with PP!

it seems you you are dealing with a bad card-reader or faulty CF card or connection wire! by drag and drop of the files on your desktop, you know where the files are and then you are not dealing with card-reader or any other bad node in the the chain but directly the file on your desktop.

as i have noted, i have been practicing this way since 2006 with absolutely no issue good luck.

-- hide signature --

we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads