Digital photo professional become extremely buggy?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
mikedodd44 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Digital photo professional become extremely buggy?

Have occasionally used DPP for a number of years but a lot more so over past year or two but it has become more or less unusable now as it crashes so often.  Have tried redownloading and reinstalling but same issues.  It certainly crashes every time I try to quit the program and frequently crashes when trying to open files or even when browsing a directory.

The problems started several months ago and have got steadily worse, until now it won't even browse a small directory of files without crashing.

Any suggestions of how to sort this out?  Other software works fine, everything up to date.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,124
What....

mikedodd44 wrote:

Have occasionally used DPP for a number of years but a lot more so over past year or two but it has become more or less unusable now as it crashes so often. Have tried redownloading and reinstalling but same issues. It certainly crashes every time I try to quit the program and frequently crashes when trying to open files or even when browsing a directory.

The problems started several months ago and have got steadily worse, until now it won't even browse a small directory of files without crashing.

Any suggestions of how to sort this out? Other software works fine, everything up to date.

What OS are you using?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 4,995
Re: Digital photo professional become extremely buggy?

I have used DPP for decades, and it has crashed on me zero (0) times so far. I am using W7 and stay away from W8 and W10.

What OS, what other applications, how much memory, RAM, how many CPUs, what GHz, what manufacture.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,260

mikedodd44 wrote:

Have occasionally used DPP for a number of years but a lot more so over past year or two but it has become more or less unusable now as it crashes so often. Have tried redownloading and reinstalling but same issues. It certainly crashes every time I try to quit the program and frequently crashes when trying to open files or even when browsing a directory.

Any suggestions of how to sort this out? Other software works fine, everything up to date.

i have had my laptop and desktop for 4-5 years now and never experienced any crash on either one! i have been using DPP since 2006 and never had any issue with it! you probably have crud leftover from your apps that you have deleted in the past. problem is that this issue cannot be resolved easily short of reinstalling OS fresh, i am not sure how convenient is that for you. hope you find a way to avoid the re-installation of OS on your pc from the ground up

-- hide signature --

we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,666

+4 - never had a problem.

Maybe the OP's computer just isn't up to the task. DPP can be quite slow when accessing a folder containing a few thousand RAW images, and I have a 7th gen i5-7660K desktop with 16Gb of RAM, so a older PC or laptop would certainly struggle, perhaps to the point of crashing.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
Holscen Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Try this...

....uninstall dpp, search to make sure everything associated with it is gone, then update your os, reinstall dpp, update it with the correct version for your os.

Also make room on your hard drive and check Photoshop or other programs aren't open and hogging all your ram.

Holscen's gear list:Holscen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
HosseinG
HosseinG Regular Member • Posts: 276
Re: Try this...

Holscen wrote:

....uninstall dpp, search to make sure everything associated with it is gone, then update your os, reinstall dpp, update it with the correct version for your os.

Also make room on your hard drive and check Photoshop or other programs aren't open and hogging all your ram.

Adding to above recommendation:

Make sure you are using up to date GPU driver.

HosseinG's gear list:HosseinG's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
OP mikedodd44 Junior Member • Posts: 27

Am using most recent windows10 and up to date graphics drivers, have 16GB ram and decent processor. Do not frequently install different software.  The only possibility that I can think of is that another program such as breezebrowser or the anti-virus program are trying to access the same files as DPP but those other programs are better at dealing with conflicts.

Mako2011
Then...

mikedodd44 wrote:

Am using most recent windows10 and up to date graphics drivers, have 16GB ram and decent processor. Do not frequently install different software. The only possibility that I can think of is that another program such as breezebrowser or the anti-virus program are trying to access the same files as DPP but those other programs are better at dealing with conflicts.

You could try disabling all the third party software from the Task Manager you think might be a player in the problem

But sounds as though over time you are having an issue with bad registry entries associated with your install of DPP. I would first suggest you go to the support site and uninstall DPP as outlined here:

https://support-vn.canon-asia.com/contents/VN/EN/8202787100.html

After that...you need to examine the Windows 10 registry (after first backing it up) and make sure all DPP lines have been removed.  A third party program may help with that.

Then do a reinstall.  If the problem persists after that...then a fresh/clean reinstall of Windows 10 may be required.  DPP really is a pretty stable program and rarely are there issues with it like you are having...unless the install/registry is corrupted.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

cruff Regular Member • Posts: 354
Hardware issue?

How old is your computer?  Is it experiencing problems with the RAM, storage or is the CPU overheating?  Any issues being logged to the Windows event log?

Blake Cook
Blake Cook Senior Member • Posts: 2,990

Holscen wrote:

.....then buy a MacBook. A 5 year old MacBook like mine will work fine and you'll never have to turn nine things off and six things on, every time you add a driver or plugin.

-- hide signature --

Blake in Vancouver
Canon and Zeiss Stuff. Mac Stuff & annoying PC & Windows stuff.

Blake Cook's gear list:Blake Cook's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 +14 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 1,477

Blake Cook wrote:

Holscen wrote:

.....then buy a MacBook. A 5 year old MacBook like mine will work fine and you'll never have to turn nine things off and six things on, every time you add a driver or plugin.

I just did that, though admittedly a seven year old one from back when they had an SD card slot, a DVD drive and a reasonable number of USB ports. It fires up DxO Optics Pro in half the time taken by my six year old mid-range Windows 7 laptop and is nearly as fast on a batch run. It did fall over nearly every time I used it but that was ok, it was cheap and I only used it for photography. I also wanted to try out rnc color stretch and the required version of Da Vinci isn't available for Windows (but then I haven't managed to install it on my Powerbook either). Then I tried looking for a car on the internet and it fell over at every other webpage so it went back to be fixed. It came back, fell over that night and three times the next day, once when I opened the calculator app while DPP was still open It's back at the shop now, I'm not impressed.

AKRover Regular Member • Posts: 182

I have a very similar issue and I found a way to make the problem completely vanish; I disable my internet connection. Try that. If it works for you too, please figure out why it works and then provide me with a more elegant solution than disabling the internet every time I want to edit photos.

AKRover's gear list:AKRover's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +8 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,334

mikedodd44 wrote:

Am using most recent windows10 and up to date graphics drivers, have 16GB ram and decent processor. Do not frequently install different software. The only possibility that I can think of is that another program such as breezebrowser or the anti-virus program are trying to access the same files as DPP but those other programs are better at dealing with conflicts.

I'd try cross-posting this question over on the "PC Talk" forum. Some of them are pretty good at troubleshooting.

Personally, I suspect something has become corrupt. I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling DPP.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
yehudakgtbnet Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
In similar cases I use Reimage software.

It save me more than once with stability issues.

yehudakgtbnet's gear list:yehudakgtbnet's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
trulandphoto
trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 877

Ever since OS 10.13 I haven't been able to run DPP4 (any version) on my MacBook Air. It crashes in the loading up process.

DPP 3 works fine.

DxO Optics Pro also won't load.

Photomatix Pro 6 crashes about once every dozen processings.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more
Mako2011

trulandphoto wrote:

Ever since OS 10.13 I haven't been able to run DPP4 (any version) on my MacBook Air. It crashes in the loading up process.

OP is using Windows 10

-- hide signature --

trulandphoto
trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Re: 10

Mako2011 wrote:

trulandphoto wrote:

OP is using Windows 10

Yes, I knew that. Thanks, though.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +12 more
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242
Re: Hardware issue?

Sounds like a hard disk or memory problem to me.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Blake Cook
Blake Cook Senior Member • Posts: 2,990
Re: 10

trulandphoto wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

OP is using Windows 10

Yes, I knew that. Thanks, though.

Yes, we knew that we were just suggesting that once he fixes his PC problem he should get a five year old MacBook and his problems won't return.

One issue with a Mac. If things seem a bit buggy you will invariably find that a Microsoft Office App is open in background. Quit the app and all returns to normal.

-- hide signature --

Blake in Vancouver
Canon and Zeiss Stuff. Mac Stuff & annoying PC & Windows stuff.

Blake Cook's gear list:Blake Cook's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads