Lightroom, the R, color temperature.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
zbh
zbh Junior Member • Posts: 27
Lightroom, the R, color temperature.

Is it something on my side, or the color temperature is way off in Lightroom CC/Classic for shots taken with the R?

I have to set it above 8000K to get a balanced sunlight shot. Compared to the M5, in the same scenery, i need to add at least 2000K to get the same result.

zbh's gear list:zbh's gear list
Canon G9 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R +10 more
aftab
aftab Forum Pro • Posts: 10,122
Re: Lightroom, the R, color temperature.

Using AWB (ambient), there is a slight difference, but not 'way off'.

Standard Picture style

Adobe color is default with a little more contrast and warm tone compared to Adobe Standard. But DPP, Adobe Color and Adobe standard are close enough I think.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +23 more
zbh
OP zbh Junior Member • Posts: 27

aftab wrote:

Using AWB (ambient), there is a slight difference, but not 'way off'
Adobe color is default with a little more contrast and warm tone compared to Adobe Standard. But DPP, Adobe Color and Adobe standard are close enough I think.

What I mean is the actual absolute number for the temperature:  a normal, AWB shot appears neutral with the Adobe Color/Standard profile. But the temperature slider is  just short of  8000K, while it should be about 6000K.

henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

zbh wrote:

aftab wrote:

What I mean is the actual absolute number for the temperature: a normal, AWB shot appears neutral with the Adobe Color/Standard profile. But the temperature slider is just short of 8000K, while it should be about 6000K.

Yes. I have noticed that too.

This is a good example. Needs more than 20 000 K

https://m.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9958447403/canon-rf-35mm-f1-8-macro-is-stm-sample-gallery#&gid=1&pid=47

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
aftab
aftab Forum Pro • Posts: 10,122

zbh wrote:

aftab wrote:

What I mean is the actual absolute number for the temperature: a normal, AWB shot appears neutral with the Adobe Color/Standard profile. But the temperature slider is just short of 8000K, while it should be about 6000K.

That's strange.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +23 more
jay-A Regular Member • Posts: 266

This screams bug.

You can file a report at adobe.

Tony Parenti Regular Member • Posts: 393

I had this same issue with ACR / Lr with the R as well.  I was getting a WB reading of 6450 and tint of -40 (yes, negative 40) on images shot at kelvin 5500K.  The same RAW file on my friends computer would open up 7250K, +8 tint.  I had to uninstall Ps and Lr, scrape out the remaining folders, reinstall and now all is well in the world.

zbh
OP zbh Junior Member • Posts: 27

Reinstalling the whole thing is out of question. Restoring all my setup is a couple of days' work.

I'll try opening an issue with Adobe. Either case this seems an issue with ACR/LR.

kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,196

I get a similar thing with Fuji's new X-T3 in Lightroom.

I downloaded this RAW file and as shot AWB shows these numbers...

-- hide signature --
 kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

kiwi2 wrote:

I get a similar thing with Fuji's new X-T3 in Lightroom.

I downloaded this RAW file and as shot AWB shows these numbers...

Damn!

I  think Adobe is running a copy-paste approach sometimes when they want to rush the profiles out the door after a camera release but haven´t had the time to develop them properly from scratch.

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads