Does anyone make photo note cards?

Started Nov 2, 2018 | Discussions
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,309
Does anyone make photo note cards?

As one who mostly prefers personal written correspondence over email, I've used my own photo note cards for 20+ years. I have more than 180 on my computer which I use for many occasions.

The one below using a photograph of a not so common cactus is for a note to a botanist friend.

Here is the front of one I sent to a group of friends following a stay at a Ranch in the mountains:

Email has its place, of course, but I like to write/send a note card for correspondence other than the most mundane.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
ChrisW66 New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Does anyone make photo note cards?

What do you print them on? Photo paper is obviously best for image quality but is difficult to write on with any type of pen, and if you use Christmas type card you can write on it but get poor image quality.

I tried printing photos on Bristol Board once with several different printer settings and they came out in varying degrees of "not very good".

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,895
Thanks; forgot about these. (nt)
-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
OP richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,309
Re: Does anyone make photo note cards?

ChrisW66 wrote:

What do you print them on? Photo paper is obviously best for image quality but is difficult to write on with any type of pen,...

I use Epson Premium Presentation Paper MATTE, single sided version, 45lb, Inkjet, #S041257..

The back side is plain, no coating.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
Paul-D700 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Thanks; forgot about these. (nt)

I make photo note cards for sale in the gift shop of my wife's church, and occasionally for friends who request them.  I make a 3.6" x 5" luster-surface print, and then affix it to a 5" x 7" notecard.  I tried the Epson matte double-sided, but found that the surface really did not take any ink very well.  My process is obviously more time-consuming, but it looks very nice (several friends have even framed them).

I think there is still a market for people who use cards, and who appreciate the time that goes into a personally-made item.  My sister does calligraphy, and has a steady stream of people who want wedding invitations, place cards, etc., hand-lettered rather than computer-produced, notwithstanding the cost difference.

OP richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,309
Re: Thanks; forgot about these. (nt)

Paul-D700 wrote:

I think there is still a market for people who use cards, and who appreciate the time that goes into a personally-made item. My sister does calligraphy, and has a steady stream of people who want wedding invitations, place cards, etc., hand-lettered rather than computer-produced, notwithstanding the cost difference.

I am happy to hear this.

For me, the least personal is the e-card. Perhaps its novelty is wearing thin -- I didn't receive any last year!

- Richard

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads