Editing (raw) software

Started Oct 31, 2018 | Discussions
EMV Regular Member • Posts: 400
Editing (raw) software

Hi,

I’m looking for a raw editing software (non subscription) that works well for the following things.

-I’d like to be able to process images pretty fast when i want to. I don’t want to spend hours processing photos from a family dinner.

-I would also like to be able to do creative editing and spend more time when I’m in the mood for it.

From what I’ve read it seems like rawtherapee is a very competetive option, aswell as darktable.

I would like to hear your personal thoughts and experiences from editing software, wich one do you think suits my needs best? Maybe it will be two diffent programs.

EMV's gear list:EMV's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,170
Re: Editing (raw) software

EMV wrote:

Hi,

I’m looking for a raw editing software (non subscription) that works well for the following things.

-I’d like to be able to process images pretty fast when i want to. I don’t want to spend hours processing photos from a family dinner.

-I would also like to be able to do creative editing and spend more time when I’m in the mood for it.

From what I’ve read it seems like rawtherapee is a very competetive option, aswell as darktable.

I would like to hear your personal thoughts and experiences from editing software, wich one do you think suits my needs best? Maybe it will be two diffent programs.

Well, RawTherapee and Darktable are among the best softwares for X-trans. They're both free so just download them and try them out to see if they fit your needs

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
StephaneB Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Well, Capture One springs to mind. It has a free version for Fuji. I use(d) Rawtherapee a lot. I love it, but it is not a full fledged solution. It misses asset management, local adjustments and printing. As a complement to Lightroom or ACDSee, it was great!

If you go with Capture One Pro for Fuji you can have a non subscription paid option that easily meets your criteria and then some. That is a pro-level tool that works immaculately. Compared to the free version, it adds more advanced editing tools and adjustment layers.

-- hide signature --
 StephaneB's gear list:StephaneB's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
OP EMV Regular Member • Posts: 400

JayPhizzt wrote:

EMV wrote:

Hi,

Well, RawTherapee and Darktable are among the best softwares for X-trans. They're both free so just download them and try them out to see if they fit your needs

I will, but i would still like to hear other peoples experiences and pros vs cons

Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 1,943
Yup capture one

StephaneB wrote:

Well, Capture One springs to mind. It has a free version for Fuji. I use(d) Rawtherapee a lot. I love it, but it is not a full fledged solution. It misses asset management, local adjustments and printing. As a complement to Lightroom or ACDSee, it was great!

If you go with Capture One Pro for Fuji you can have a non subscription paid option that easily meets your criteria and then some. That is a pro-level tool that works immaculately. Compared to the free version, it adds more advanced editing tools and adjustment layers.

Personally I love everything I get through my adobe subscription. But if you don’t see the value and aren’t currently tied to any software I can’t see how you could go wrong with the free version of capture one for Fuji.

It does a pretty decent job automatically and gives you a fair bit of tools to play with if you are in the mood.

-- hide signature --

StephaneB wrote:

Do you have a link to that free version?

okay, what are you doing in LR/ACDSee that you cant do in rawtherapee?

Isn’t capture one a 400-500$ program? That feels a little bit to expensive for me.

HatWearingFool

EMV wrote:

StephaneB wrote:

Isn’t capture one a 400-500$ program? That feels a little bit to expensive for me.

Capture one express Fujifilm version:

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Capture-One-Fujifilm.aspx

-- hide signature --
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,911

I start in Raw Therapee, then export a .tif into Picture Window Pro from Digital Light & Color. The latter has selections and other local adjustments.

For quick processing of family dinner photos, I just tweak the camera .jpg's in Fast Stone. If dinner was turkey, I recommend blue -2 and red +1.

-- hide signature --

The comment above probably has an example in my photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/41790885@N08/

JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

EMV wrote:

I will, but i would still like to hear other peoples experiences and pros vs cons

I personally use Capture One because I love the software and because it does a good job with X-trans files. RawTherapee and Darktable have a bit better demosaicing, but I find the actual softwares inferior to Capture One.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
FujiJon
FujiJon Regular Member • Posts: 100

Another vote for Darktable.  I find it runs better in Linux than Windows 10 - but then the laptop as a whole runs better.  There are excellent tutorials on YouTube from Robert Hutton.  You can also download fuji (and other) film simulations from Github; they work well (import as "styles" to darktable).

I did have a play around in darktable and yes, if you grossly over sharpen (as in max all the sliders etc) and pixel peep at 200% you can see imaginary worms, which I suppose will please some people.  You do NOT see them if you do "normal" sharpening - darktable default seems to work fine for me.

FujiJon's gear list:FujiJon's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
StephaneB Contributing Member • Posts: 967

EMV wrote:

StephaneB wrote:

Asking for help is fine. Being able to help yourself once a way has been pointed to you will keep you independent. If you actually *need* to be provided a link once you know the software is called Capture One, how do you plan to learn how to use those tools?

-- hide signature --
 StephaneB's gear list:StephaneB's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,437

Some good advice upthread but truly I'd use the in camera conversion as SOOC jpgs.  You'll still have the raw files if that isn't to your liking.  It will save hours of work on simple snapshots and I'll guarantee almost the whole family will be happy with it.  Don't feel bad about using jpgs, raw isn't the hallmark of being a proper photographer and whilst raw is good for adjusting lighting and exposure if that isn't right but for everything else the advantage is theoretical.

I use Affinity for the raw processing I do.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,701

I've just been doing my regular comparison of RAW converters on some shots, and this morning had the X-T1/35mm 1.4 on spot metering exposing for the highlights in a cityscape scene. Comparing Lr, Lr+IXT, C1 and OOC JPEG, the latter was virtually as good in terms of detail, and actually I thought looked more "natural" at 100%! So (and I've seen this before) - get the lighting right and there's almost no need to use RAW. It won't work every time and I always have the RAWs available, but the JPEGs get a lot of undeserved bad press here IMO and for family, social and travel purposes nobody is ever going to see the difference.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
HatWearingFool

a_c_skinner wrote:

Some good advice upthread but truly I'd use the in camera conversion as SOOC jpgs. You'll still have the raw files if that isn't to your liking. It will save hours of work on simple snapshots and I'll guarantee almost the whole family will be happy with it. Don't feel bad about using jpgs, raw isn't the hallmark of being a proper photographer and whilst raw is good for adjusting lighting and exposure if that isn't right but for everything else the advantage is theoretical.

I use Affinity for the raw processing I do.

Personally what I find raw is best for is adjusting colour. Mess up the colour balance and you are out of luck if you just have a jpeg.

And I find changing white balance while doing in camera raw conversation to be a pain as well.

-- hide signature --
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,437

Oh, yes.  I included white balance in lighting in general, mentally at least.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more

I’m currently using the in camera jpgs and think they are fine but i always end up doing minor tweaks in exposure, contrast and cropping. Because of that i think i might be better of to do some Quick raw processing instead since it shouldn’t take much more time.

Workflow

I would also appreciate workflow tips for fast process of everyday photos (preferable something you can use for batch process).

lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
Re: Workflow

Try the search function. There is tremendous content within the forum for your review. You will get plenty of ideas and possible "roads" to travel in finding what works best for you.

I can't contribute as I use the subscription service from Adobe for Lr, Ps, Br and many others. I also process all RAF images in IxT (Iridient X Transformer) for PC (don't have a MAC so can't use Iridient Developer as it is for MAC only).

Good luck!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,701

EMV wrote:

I’m currently using the in camera jpgs and think they are fine but i always end up doing minor tweaks in exposure, contrast and cropping. Because of that i think i might be better of to do some Quick raw processing instead since it shouldn’t take much more time.

But you won't necessarily get a better result for minor tweaks, and it will take you longer especially if you want to match the colour profiles of the film sims. But if you just want to try out the concept of quick RAW processing without too much of a learning curve and no cost, then why not use the free Fujifilm Raw File Converter EX3? At least you'll have the film sims available which are not included as standard in other free alternatives. Try it and see if it really does give you a better result than the JPEGs for only little more time.

I rarely use a JPEG without some PP, maybe just cropping, straightening and contrast, but you have a lot more easy tools available for JPEGs. For example, when travelling I'll often just upload to Google Photos, use their editing options and done. For online albums I don't really get a noticeably better result in most cases out of RAW. Sometimes I do need RAW, but that's what you learn - when to use it and when it's really not worth the bother. Heresy to many on this forum I know...

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,698

I strongly recommend RawTherapee 5.4 one opf the best RAF file developper plus ahuge variety of options after developping

Fuji has now released Raw File  Converter EX3 which excellent for RAF development but the UI is not as good as RT5.4

Personally I have also a PS/LR subscription for 12€/month which I find excellent, only files needing very fine details preservation are developped by the formers Otherwise PS allows an infinity of creative tracks

The subsciption costs about the same than buying the software since after 2 years you have any to pay an extra to get the last version

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads