I'm thrilled with the new DCP profile support in PhotoLab 2. DCP color profiles and examples inside.

Started Oct 26, 2018 | Discussions
Adielle
Adielle Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
I'm thrilled with the new DCP profile support in PhotoLab 2. DCP color profiles and examples inside.

Download (click the "Valider et télécharger le fichier" button):
http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/obzhsQo2

Examples with the DPReview studio scene:
Panasonic DMC-GX8 - http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/S3hefwWi
Olympus OM-D E-M1 - http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/1pSqkI8Q
Panasonic DC-ZS200 - http://dl.free.fr/wEvXebPxo
Olympus Stylus 1 - http://dl.free.fr/uzSe78AF2

This is a zip archive with DCP profile files for Panasonic and Olympus cameras, based on the ColorChecker chart from the DPReview studio test scene images. The included models are only those that are currently selectable in the DPReview studio scene image comparison tool, with the exception of GF6, because the ColorChecker software fails to load the RAW file.

You can use these with programs that support DCP profiles. I used them with the new DxO PhotoLab 2 Elite, which has newly added DCP profile support, and I'm extremely happy with the results because now I can finally get proper colors that are much better than what I've been getting until now. I haven't had a single picture that hasn't greatly improved thanks to this, but of course your results may vary.

I'm not doing DCP profiles for all the other companies' cameras because it just takes too long. You could use Adobe DNG Converter and the ColorChecker software to make your own.

My experience is that this rocks, but if yours is different, don't complain to me. I'm just sharing my thoughts and putting this stuff out there.

I'll only post in the MFT forum because I don't want to "triple-post", but maybe someone else would like to share this in the Panasonic or Olympus compact camera forums.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 7,161
I'm thrilled with the new DCP profile support in PhotoLab 2. CP color profiles and examples inside.

OK... but would you be able to explain in layman's terms how you use DCP?

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

Adielle
OP Adielle Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
You just load it :)

Sure: You just load the color profile

In PhotoLab 2, under "Color Rendering" select "DCP profile" and select the file.

glassoholic
Re: You just load it :)

Adielle wrote:

Sure: You just load the color profile

In PhotoLab 2, under "Color Rendering" select "DCP profile" and select the file.

Thanks! I am paying for (whilst there is a big discount) and downloading my upgrade today and will check it out.

-- hide signature --

Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

glassoholic

I had a try and see only EM1.1 DCP profile??

-- hide signature --

Adielle
"Import DCP profile"

glassoholic wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. There's "Olympus E-M1.dcp" in the archive. You need to "Import DCP Profile" in PhotoLab and select this file.

Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,380
Re: I'm thrilled with the new DCP profile support in PhotoLab 2. DCP color profiles inside.

Adielle wrote:

I'm extremely happy with the results because now I can finally get proper colors that are much better than what I've been getting until now. I haven't had a single picture that hasn't greatly improved thanks to this, but of course your results may vary.

My experience is that this rocks, but if yours is different, don't complain to me. I'm just sharing my thoughts and putting this stuff out there.

Not to complain at all, far from it, and thanks for your work, but I'm seeing very subtle differences at best. Could you share an example of yours where you see a "great improvement"?

From PL1 using my standard workflow (color rendering: Minolta 5D profile at 75%).

From PL2 with all the same settings, but color rendering switched to the DCP profile at 100%.

For comparison, the SOOC jpeg.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Adielle
Re: I'm thrilled with the new DCP profile support in PhotoLab 2. DCP color profiles inside.

The newer version looks better overall. Every part of it. It may be mostly subtle in this specific picture, but you have a very limited color palette there. Try other pictures and enjoy, I'm sure you'll see a huge difference in some of them. I'm not gonna post comparisons to argue about any of this, anyone should decide for themselves with their own pictures.

glassoholic
Re: "Import DCP profile"

Adielle wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. There's "Olympus E-M1.dcp" in the archive. You need to "Import DCP Profile" in PhotoLab and select this file.

I got that thanks... no mkii though. But I am getting an idea of the value of DCP with the mki profile. It seems very close to to the Oly "Normal" picture profile. That is not a bad place to start and then tweak from there.

-- hide signature --

Adielle

glassoholic wrote:

Adielle wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

I got that thanks... no mkii though. But I am getting an idea of the value of DCP with the mki profile. It seems very close to to the Oly "Normal" picture profile. That is not a bad place to start and then tweak from there.

Ah, yes, I was surprised that DPReview doesn't have the E-M1 mk2 in the studio scene tool.

EDITED - wait a second.. I was using an older studio scene link.. I see that they do have it! I'll add some more DCP files.

glassoholic

Adielle wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Adielle wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Ah, yes, I was surprised that DPReview doesn't have the E-M1 mk2 in the studio scene tool.

EDITED - wait a second.. I was using an older studio scene link.. I see that they do have it! I'll add some more DCP files.

Cheers... pls post link for download... much appreciated for your work.

-- hide signature --

Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,380

I wasn't trying to argue or start an argument, just trying to understand.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Adielle
Added DCP profiles for Olympus E-M1 mark II and E-M5 mark II

I was using an older dpreview page that for some reason was missing E-M1 mark II and E-M5 mark II, so I thought they didn't have them, so here's a new link with these DCP files included:

http://dl.free.fr/sZY7Vt2gB

Adielle

glassoholic wrote:

Cheers... pls post link for download... much appreciated for your work.

No problem, posted: http://dl.free.fr/sZY7Vt2gB

katastrofa Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Re: Added DCP profiles for Olympus E-M1 mark II and E-M5 mark II

Thank you!!!

katastrofa's gear list:katastrofa's gear list
PowerShot SX700 Olympus E-M1 II OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +4 more
Adielle
Re: Added DCP profiles for Olympus E-M1 mark II and E-M5 mark II

katastrofa wrote:

Thank you!!!

You're welcome and mainly thank you to the people responsible for the DCP open standard, DPReview for the essentially perfect studio shots, and X-Rite and DxO.

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 8,244
Re: I'm thrilled with the new DCP profile support in PhotoLab 2.

Adielle wrote:

Download (click the "Valider et télécharger le fichier" button):
http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/obzhsQo2

Examples with the DPReview studio scene:
Panasonic DMC-GX8 - http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/S3hefwWi
Olympus OM-D E-M1 - http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/1pSqkI8Q
Panasonic DC-ZS200 - http://dl.free.fr/wEvXebPxo
Olympus Stylus 1 - http://dl.free.fr/uzSe78AF2

This is a zip archive with DCP profile files for Panasonic and Olympus cameras, based on the ColorChecker chart from the DPReview studio test scene images. The included models are only those that are currently selectable in the DPReview studio scene image comparison tool, with the exception of GF6, because the ColorChecker software fails to load the RAW file.

You can use these with programs that support DCP profiles. I used them with the new DxO PhotoLab 2 Elite, which has newly added DCP profile support, and I'm extremely happy with the results because now I can finally get proper colors that are much better than what I've been getting until now. I haven't had a single picture that hasn't greatly improved thanks to this, but of course your results may vary.

I'm not doing DCP profiles for all the other companies' cameras because it just takes too long. You could use Adobe DNG Converter and the ColorChecker software to make your own.

I'll only post in the MFT forum because I don't want to "triple-post", but maybe someone else would like to share this in the Panasonic or Olympus compact camera forums.

Looks interesting. I do not shoot m4/3rds anymore, but I'm very interested in how to make such a DCP profile the way you did (for my present camera). Could you share this information on the Retouching forum, so I (and maybe others) can try to make them as well?

Thank you!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +10 more
Adielle

Sure, there's really not much to it, at all - I downloaded the lowest ISO RAW file from each camera from the DPReview Studio Shot Comparison page, used the latest Adobe DNG Converter to convert the RW2 and ORF files to DNG, and the latest ColorChecker Camera Calibrationsoftware to create the DCP files. You load the DNG file in it, it automatically recognizes the section with the X-Rite ColorChecker Color Rendition Chart, and sometimes the squares are not aligned accurately, so you just need to drag them. Then you click "Create Profile", save, and you have a lovely DCP profile that generally gives you awesome results. Feel free to repost in the retouching forum

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 8,244

Adielle wrote:

Sure, there's really not much to it, at all - I downloaded the lowest ISO RAW file from each camera from the DPReview Studio Shot Comparison page, used the latest Adobe DNG Converter to convert the RW2 and ORF files to DNG, and the latest ColorChecker Camera Calibrationsoftware to create the DCP files. You load the DNG file in it, it automatically recognizes the section with the X-Rite ColorChecker Color Rendition Chart, and sometimes the squares are not aligned accurately, so you just need to drag them. Then you click "Create Profile", save, and you have a lovely DCP profile that generally gives you awesome results. Feel free to repost in the retouching forum

Thank you very much Adielle! Still don't quite understand it, but I will try and find out. I don't use Adobe at all (DXO Photolab is my main converter now), although I still have a stand alone version of LR 6 on my computer. I will repost this on the retouching forum.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge !

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +10 more
Adielle

mujana wrote:

Adielle wrote:

Thank you very much Adielle! Still don't quite understand it, but I will try and find out. I don't use Adobe at all (DXO Photolab is my main converter now), although I still have a stand alone version of LR 6 on my computer. I will repost this on the retouching forum.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge !

No problem. The Adobe DNG Converter is a standalone program for Windows and Mac OS, so no need for LR or PS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads