Canon EOS R & Leica M Lenses - bad news ):

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
muar
muar Forum Member • Posts: 51
Canon EOS R & Leica M Lenses - bad news ):

My first tests showed the weakness of the Leica m lenses on this camera. Excessive color shift.

To my great regret ):

flickr.com/photos/greenmuar/ (Color)

flickr.com/photos/imuar/ (Monochrome)

muar's gear list:muar's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica M9
LHMF Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Canon EOS R & Leica M Lenses - bad news ):

muar wrote:

..... Excessive color shift.

Do you have perhaps some examples with wideangles like 24/21/18mm. Interesting would be if there is smear in the corners like the Sonys.

Michael

Yake Senior Member • Posts: 1,509

How did you mount the lens on the camera?  Is there an adapter already?

Yake's gear list:Yake's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP
muar
OP muar Forum Member • Posts: 51

LHMF wrote:

muar wrote:

..... Excessive color shift.

......24/21/18mm.

I have lenses only 35 and 50mm.

muar

Made in China. Adapter SHOTEN/GABALE ~ 53$ (eBay)

Thoughts R Us
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,764

muar wrote:

I don't really care about using Leica M lenses on the R, and it's probably the only adapter available now, but doesn't that seem like a cheap adapter that would be a weak link in the system?

Shouldn't that be taken into account?

I know the Canon base adapter is only $99 but I figure Canon is selling that cheap so as to encourage sales of the system.  Also when you are the company that knows the secret sauce of the lens communication protocols, you can engineer the adapter for less money.

But I know quality adapters for the Sony bodies cost hundreds of dollars and even then don't adapt lenses as well as the native system would.

So I can believe that Leica lenses may not perform that well on anything else other than a Leica, but I don't know that any test with an adapter this cheap proves much.

muar

I know that NOVOFLEX company offers a similar adapter for 150 €, it has no electronic components and it is very simple. Made in China, it is probably a little worse quality and materials, but not inferior in functionality.
I will clarify, paid $ 57 for the adapter, for gaining experience it is not expensive.

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064

muar wrote:

I know that NOVOFLEX company offers a similar adapter for 150 €, it has no electronic components and it is very simple. Made in China, it is probably a little worse quality and materials, but not inferior in functionality.
I will clarify, paid $ 57 for the adapter, for gaining experience it is not expensive.

I would expect a dumb adapter from a known company to be pretty good from a commenting and squareness pov - that it cost $57 is probably partly down to rarity at present.

The key things with dumb adapters is that they are square, that they allow focus to infinity and that they fit the host bayonet without excessive tightness or play - it won't be too long before more decent cheap adapters are available - I rather like K&F Concept - they get their stuff made in China by the better companies, do their own quality checking and then offer an exchange on any defective items... Typically a good quality adapter from them is under £25 and their range allows you to adapt pretty much any lens you can think of - they don't do Z and R at present, but they will be working on it (they do quite a lot of M).

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
PAntunes Regular Member • Posts: 381

Thoughts R Us wrote:

muar wrote:

I don't really care about using Leica M lenses on the R, and it's probably the only adapter available now, but doesn't that seem like a cheap adapter that would be a weak link in the system?

Shouldn't that be taken into account?

I know the Canon base adapter is only $99 but I figure Canon is selling that cheap so as to encourage sales of the system. Also when you are the company that knows the secret sauce of the lens communication protocols, you can engineer the adapter for less money.

But I know quality adapters for the Sony bodies cost hundreds of dollars and even then don't adapt lenses as well as the native system would.

So I can believe that Leica lenses may not perform that well on anything else other than a Leica, but I don't know that any test with an adapter this cheap proves much.

You know the leica m lenses don't have AF, right?

So the adapter is just a spacer... Has no influence in colour. Sony has lots of adapters for MF lenses a lot cheaper and with great quality.

Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,140

muar wrote:

My first tests showed the weakness of the Leica m lenses on this camera. Excessive color shift.

To my great regret ):

Sad but expected.

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064

muar wrote:

To my great regret ):

It doesn't look too bad from the above shot (I've seen worse). Are you happy with a B&W conversion?

I had a look to see if the 35/1.4 was mentioned in Dyxum's list of adapted lenses, but it doesn't seem to be lsited:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/index-nonnative-lenses-on-e-and-amount-cameras_topic102746.html

The reports of colour shifts with rangefinder lenses on mirrorless tended to be designs like the Biotar which have a very small rear element relatively close to the sensor - this has improved over time but is likely to be affected by the positioning of the micro-lenses at the edges of the sensor and maybe by the thickness of the cover glass for the sensor...

Good news being that some other designs of lenses might work better on the R, plus later variants might get a sensor tweak to improve the edges.

flickr.com/photos/greenmuar/ (Color)

flickr.com/photos/imuar/ (Monochrome)

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
muar
add new pics
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,140
Re: add new pics

muar wrote:

Canon EOS-R & Manual Focus Lenses (flickr group)

Thanks for the samples, muar.

Any with your 50mm?

Any with your 50mm?

Also thanks from me. And yes, 50mm would be great to see. I eliminated the vignetting with Adobe raw-Filter in PS in the jpg (I know this has normally make in the raw) and it looks much better. OK you see the colour shift but it is not so strange as in the the jpg here.

muar

The "color shift" in the in 50mm, but is not expressed clearly as 35mm, but it is a fact. You can fight it, but is there rationality in it? I'm sure using Leica m lenses on this camera is acceptable exclusively in monochrome. Thanks

Canon EOS R + Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH

Canon EOS R & Manual Focus Lenses

muar wrote:

The "color shift" in the in 50mm, but is not expressed clearly as 35mm, but it is a fact. You can fight it, but is there rationality in it? I'm sure using Leica m lenses on this camera is acceptable exclusively in monochrome. Thanks

Hi muar,

thanks for sharing your pitures. I think, the Eos R is not so bad with Leica lenses. Here I put some quick and dirty pictures made with the M9 and a loan Sony A7II. The corners are very bad with the sony (smear and hard to correct vignetting) and the M9 has minor vignetting but only if you use lens correction - and you must have in mind that the M9 has "only" 18 MP. Adapting a lens for analog film to a digtial camera is not easy and will not so easy.

And here a crop of the right corner down (sony/M9)

visu New Member • Posts: 7
It may have a reason

Color shift and corner smear while adapting lenses seems to depend on several factors:

1) ray angle

https://diglloyd.com/articles/LeicaM/LeicaM-RayAngle.html

2) sensor glass stack thickness

3) the BSI design

4) aperture

The greater the ray angle, or the sensor glass stack thickness, or the aperture, the greater the color shift/corner smear gets.  BSI design will reduce the color shift but may not eliminate the corner smear.

I was interested to know how well Leica m lenses can be adapted on Canon EOS R body and was curious about the Canon EOS R sensor glass stack thickness and found the answer here, https://petapixel.com/2018/10/24/canon-eos-r-teardown-an-unbiased-look-inside-the-camera/

"The internal low-pass filter and the dust reduction system glass combined had a thickness of about 1.6mm".

Comparing with Sony's A7 series which has a thickness of 1.8mm, we know the first and second generation A7 series cameras suffered the color shift/corner smear issue when adapting wide angle range finder lenses. The third generation has greatly reduced the color shift problem with BSI design, but corner smear of wide angle seems to still remain. So For Canon EOS R, with 1.6mm glass stack thickness and without BSI technology, it might not be a surprise to see the same issue. But thanks for the testing! This is the first report I saw on adapting Leica M lens on Canon EOS R.

muar
Canon EOS R + Leica Summarit-M 75 mm f/ 2.5 (:
Camera Tribbing Junior Member • Posts: 31

Thoughts R Us wrote:

muar wrote:

I know the Canon base adapter is only $99 but I figure Canon is selling that cheap so as to encourage sales of the system. Also when you are the company that knows the secret sauce of the lens communication protocols, you can engineer the adapter for less money.

There is no secret sauce to know for how to mount a dumb lens with a dumb adapter.

A Metabones Leica M to Sony adapter costs $89. Is it significantly better or even different from a $55 adapter? No, not really.

padam19 Regular Member • Posts: 296

muar wrote:

To my great regret ):

There might just be a program to fight that. See here:

https://lavidaleica.com/content/using-cornerfix-correct-images

padam19's gear list:padam19's gear list
Canon EOS D30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads