D40x lens compatibility advice needed please

Started Oct 21, 2018 | Questions
Ed Br New Member • Posts: 1
D40x lens compatibility advice needed please

Hi Everyone

To begin with, apologies if this question has already been raised. I have just joined the forum and quickly checked the D40x area but didn't see a relevant note.

I have a D40x. I purchased the camera about 12 years ago (2006), put it in to storage with some other items and has remained there ever since ! I was clearing the loft out l4 weeks ago and found the camera and now intend to start using it.

I checked around and purchased the book 'Nikon D40/D40x Digital Field Guide' by David D. Busch and this has been a great help to moving me from my android phone camera to DSLR.

The camera came complete with a Nikon DX 18-55mm lens. I have taken a few shots and this does a great job. David mentions a better choice would be the Nikon 18-200mm  lens. I live in the UK and have tried to find one and am completely confused by the range of lenses available. I don't want to make a purchase until I know I have selected the right one that will give me a good balance between macro and distant focussing. I understand the D40x doesn't have an onboard auto focus so I am assuming the lens will have to provide this itself ?

Can anyone give me some advice please ? Which lens should I go for and where should I purchase one in the UK ?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Ed

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D40X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,834
Re: D40x lens compatibility advice needed please

Ed Br wrote:

The camera came complete with a Nikon DX 18-55mm lens. I have taken a few shots and this does a great job. David mentions a better choice would be the Nikon 18-200mm lens. I live in the UK and have tried to find one and am completely confused by the range of lenses available. I don't want to make a purchase until I know I have selected the right one that will give me a good balance between macro and distant focussing. I understand the D40x doesn't have an onboard auto focus so I am assuming the lens will have to provide this itself ?

A Nikon "AF" or "AF (D)" lens requires a camera body to have a focus motor in order to autofocus.

The new "AF-P" lenses are not suitable for older cameras, such as the D40x.

All Nikon lenses with "AF-S" (or the older "AF-I") in the designation have their own focus motors and will autofocus on any Nikon DSLR.

If you see any 3rd party lenses that interest you, you should check with manufacturer as to their suitability with your D40x.

The Nikon 18-200mm that you mention (either the original or the "II" version) would be a fine as a versatile, general purpose lens, but has no macro capability. It will, however focus as close as 0.5m (1.6 ft.) from the subject.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

rambling robin
rambling robin Regular Member • Posts: 298

Ed Br wrote:

Hi Everyone

To begin with, apologies if this question has already been raised. I have just joined the forum and quickly checked the D40x area but didn't see a relevant note.

I have a D40x. I purchased the camera about 12 years ago (2006), put it in to storage with some other items and has remained there ever since ! I was clearing the loft out l4 weeks ago and found the camera and now intend to start using it.

I checked around and purchased the book 'Nikon D40/D40x Digital Field Guide' by David D. Busch and this has been a great help to moving me from my android phone camera to DSLR.

The camera came complete with a Nikon DX 18-55mm lens. I have taken a few shots and this does a great job. David mentions a better choice would be the Nikon 18-200mm lens. I live in the UK and have tried to find one and am completely confused by the range of lenses available. I don't want to make a purchase until I know I have selected the right one that will give me a good balance between macro and distant focussing. I understand the D40x doesn't have an onboard auto focus so I am assuming the lens will have to provide this itself ?

Can anyone give me some advice please ? Which lens should I go for and where should I purchase one in the UK ?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Ed

Taking your questions slightly backwards, if you're happy buying on-line then Camerajungle is a good place to start, likewise MPB and also Ffordes. They all have a good selection of lenses in the range and probably the sort of budget you may have in mind.

Although the 18-200 is a fine lens, it does suffer at the extremes of range. Take a look at reviews of the lens by various sources. I had both D40 and D40X and the X was IMHO a bit better as the greater pixel number allowed a bit more wiggle room. You do have to watch the lighting - the small number of metering points means that subjects in bright/dark contrast - trees on a a bright sunny day etc. can be challenging.  The 40s were the only camera I felt I had to shoot raw for safety. Not to say you won't get great jpgs too, but something to be wary of.

A lot depends on what you want to shoot - as this is a learning experience don't spend too much on kit yet. Perhaps consider a 55-200 VR zoom and see how you get on with the 2 - this was a standard combination.

rambling robin's gear list:rambling robin's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 450D
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,547

Any of the AF-S DX lenses will work with the D40x.

As Ramblin Robin mentioned, the Nikon 55-200 would be a good next-lens choice. It's ok for local wildlife, outdoor sports, average closeups (not true macro), portraits/kids, and distant landscape features.

Look for the newer AF-S VRii version that costs about $130 refurb in the States, or $150 brand new from eBay dealers.  In my experience it's quite a bit nicer than the older models.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-camera-lenses/af-s-dx-nikkor-55-200mm-f%252f4-5.6g-ed-vr-ii-refurbished.html

And if you upgrade the camera some day, the 55-200VRii is perfectly functional on the new high-resolution 24mp bodies. That's nice so you won't have to buy all new lenses at the same time.

I would avoid the all-in-one zooms like the 18-200 for no other reason than cost ($500 refurbished).  To be blunt without meaning any offense whatsoever, I would not spend that much for casual use of a 10mp camera.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more

Bobthearch wrote:

Any of the AF-S DX lenses will work with the D40x.

Just to add, any AF-S lens will be fine, whether DX or FX.

-- hide signature --

Patco

Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725

D40 is a good start and 10MP is usable for most general purposes. However, I suspect that you will not be satisfied with it once you get past the 'getting comfortable' phase.

I would recommend that you consider what camera you might buy if/when you're ready to upgrade and then decide on a lens that you can continue using on the newer hi-res cameras.

The kit lens you have for that camera is sufficient for good light situations when you don't need a long zoom. The 55-200 VR II that was mentioned is a less expensive bet even if you decide to stop there.

If you want a better general purpose lens that has better IQ and a little bit more focal length, then look at Sigma 17-70 C, or a used Nikon 18-140. Most other zooms with good IQ are just too expensive in your situation (currently an old camera and unknown next camera).

Satyaa's gear list:Satyaa's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Canon EOS 400D Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,445

The D40X is fine and gives pleasing results. Yep more modern cameras have more pixels but you don't really need them (I used a D80 for years and was happy with the resolution) and more modern sensors are better equipped for handling tricky lighting and things like that, but a D40X is a reasonable place to start.

Trouble with super-zooms like the 18-200 (equivalent to 28-300 in 35mm terms) is that although they give you a massive range they aren't that great compared to other options. The 18-55 is fine for getting to know the camera, the main restriction being of course you're fairly limited at the telephoto end. It's also noticeably lighter than lenses with a longer range.

Of lenses currently available new I'd suggest the 18-140, which still gives quite a large range. But it costs around £539 in the UK. If you're prepared to look at secondhand then you've got more choice. I have the 16-85 (equivalent to 24-128) which gives excellent results. I'd suggest looking at the used section of the Wex web site, and in particular Nikon AF-S lenses in the standard zoom category and which are marked condition 9. They have used examples of both the 18-140 and the 16-85, and also the 18-105; prices seem to be around £190, £220 and £124. The 18-105 is a bit lighter and smaller than the other two. Worthwhile looking at the other vendors suggested as well.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
baloo_buc Forum Pro • Posts: 10,430

Your camera is compatible with AF-S lenses. Forget the older AI-S lenses that you are unlikely to find them.

Stay away from AF-D lenses as there are better versions now in AF-S and you will lose the AF.

AF-P lenses will literally not work on your body so don't buy them.

The 18-55 mm you have has VR in its name? If yes you could look at something more telephoto (like AF-S 55-200 mm VR). If you have the non-VR version I would keep it only for close-up (not macro) in good light.

18-200 mm VR is an expensive lens with a lot of compromises in order to get that range. Are you sure 200 mm is mandatory.

You can chose between AF-S 18-105 mm VR and AF-S 18-140 mm VR which are better than 18-200 mm lens and also cheaper. If you want to be future safe better get 18-140 mm VR which performs brilliantly on 24 MP sensors.

Below there are some photos taken with that lens:

-- hide signature --

Victor
Bucuresti, Romania

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +16 more

baloo_buc wrote:

Forget the older AI-S lenses that you are unlikely to find them.

I don't think anyone suggested these non-cpu, manual focus lenses, but they will work on the D40x, although focusing might be a bit challenging.

-- hide signature --

Patco

Peter in Canberra Contributing Member • Posts: 875

baloo_buc wrote:

The 18-55 mm you have has VR in its name? If yes you could look at something more telephoto (like AF-S 55-200 mm VR). If you have the non-VR version I would keep it only for close-up (not macro) in good light.

18-55 kit lens is worth hanging on to imho. And while they aren't macro they can focus pretty close (eg for things like flowers).

The AF-S 55-200 VR (1 or 2 would be fine).

There is an almost never ending supply of options for GAS - gear acquisition syndrome ...

Another option if extra reach is something you want might be the 55-300 VR lens - it is kind of superseded by the 70-300 AF-P DX lenses now but it is an OK lens and was a lot cheaper than the 70-300 AF-S FX lens. The 55-300 has a metal mount which distinguishes it a bit from the 55-200s.

18-200 mm VR is an expensive lens with a lot of compromises in order to get that range. Are you sure 200 mm is mandatory.

I started with D60 (v similar to D40x) and 18-200. If i had my time again I would skip the 18-200 (though I shot with it a lot).

You can chose between AF-S 18-105 mm VR and AF-S 18-140 mm VR which are better than 18-200 mm lens and also cheaper. If you want to be future safe better get 18-140 mm VR which performs brilliantly on 24 MP sensors.

I would also suggest these as good general purpose lenses.

18-105 is what I came to the thread to suggest. I have one and it is nicely matched for weight (imo) with the D40/x/60 body. A bit lighter and smaller than the 18-140. I use it on the D7200 and D3300 I have now (but I'm not a pixel peeper).

Another older lens I used for quite a while on the D60 was Nikon 18-135 AF-S. It was a kit lens for the D80 and doesn't have VR, But it is pretty sharp and a bit lighter and smaller (diameter) than the 18-105, Good in good light, but I missed VR in low light situations, especially at the 135mm end.

Think about used lenses.

I have had a lot of success in buying lenses second hand, either on ebay or Gumtree (not sure if there is an equivalent where you are - an online market place geared for local exchanges). I have picked up a couple of bargains that way. [someone on this forum, years ago, referred to e-bay as a lens lending library. You can always resell if you aren't taken by  a lens, generally for little or no overall loss]

The OP must be aware and if no one gives information he/she may take a bad purchasing decision.

-- hide signature --

Victor
Bucuresti, Romania

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +16 more
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725

Peter in Canberra wrote:

Another option if extra reach is something you want might be the 55-300 VR lens - it is kind of superseded by the 70-300 AF-P DX lenses now

As already pointed out, none of the AF-P lenses will work on this body

but it is an OK lens and was a lot cheaper than the 70-300 AF-S FX lens. The 55-300 has a metal mount which distinguishes it a bit from the 55-200s.

Satyaa's gear list:Satyaa's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Canon EOS 400D Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
Peter in Canberra Contributing Member • Posts: 875

Satyaa wrote:

Peter in Canberra wrote:

Another option if extra reach is something you want might be the 55-300 VR lens - it is kind of superseded by the 70-300 AF-P DX lenses now

As already pointed out, none of the AF-P lenses will work on this body

but it is an OK lens and was a lot cheaper than the 70-300 AF-S FX lens. The 55-300 has a metal mount which distinguishes it a bit from the 55-200s.

yes, sorry I didn't mean to imply that the AF-P could work on the D40x. It won't. It was more contextual for the pecking order status of the 55-300 today.

embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 1,980

NCB wrote:

Of lenses currently available new I'd suggest the 18-140, which still gives quite a large range. But it costs around £539 in the UK.

OMG...NEW ! Only 309£  (349€) in some official photo stores in Belgium.

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7430788190

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
fPrime
fPrime Veteran Member • Posts: 3,442

The D40x is classic CCD body with outstanding color reproduction thanks to its strong color filters. However, like all CCD cameras, high-ISO gets noisy quickly. Because of this you are best off with either fast lenses or VR, both of which allow you to stay closer to base ISO.

Good prime options for you include the AF-S 35/1.8G DX and 50/1.8G because they are fast.

Good Nikon zoom options are the AF-S 18-55mm and 55-200mm but be sure to buy the VR II versions in order to get a full four stops of vibration reduction. The VR I versions only offer three stops of VR.

For an ultrawide zoom I recommend the Tokina 11-20/2.8 for its speed. Avoid Nikon’s 10-20 AF-P lens and the modern Tamron 10-24 because they are incompatible with early Nikon cameras like the D40x.

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Devvy Regular Member • Posts: 338

I don't think it is mentioned already here: but be aware that newer bodies have built-in lens correction as well. I cannot really predict how well - for instance - a 18-140 lens will perform on the D40x without the lens correction profiles.

My suggestion? Consider upgrading the body as well, buy a secondhand D3200 or D3300 which will give you so much more resolution and also updated lens profiles. Bundle it with the 18-105mm, or the 55-200VR.

I once owned both the 18-105 and 18-140, and while they look similar, the copies I had were quite different. The VR on the 140 is great; the sharpness @18mm of the 105 is better than the 140; the sharpness at full tele is better on the 140. Overall I was more pleased with the sharpness of the 105 copy I had. I think for the price difference between a secondhand 18-105 vs a second hand 18-140, you can buy a second hand D3200 body

Devvy's gear list:Devvy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +5 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 17,988

Ed Br wrote:

Can anyone give me some advice please ?

On another topic, the D40x supports SD and SDHC cards ("up to 16 GB"), but not SDXC ones ("32 GB or over").  Don't be tempted by sales on SDXC cards.

SDHC are up to 32 G (FAT 32). I have no idea if 32 G SDHC will work on Nikon D40x.

-- hide signature --

Victor
Bucuresti, Romania

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads